• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Did you ever notice that Everett's work looks a lot like Blake, an artist that dropped out of sight about the same time Everett came to the fore. hm

;)

Gee you might be onto something there :cool: It might even be the same guy who drew the cover for Dickie Dare # 1.

. (thumbs u

Everett was named after and a descendant of William Blake. William Blake

This is coming from the guy who knows all things Everett. (worship)

Honestly Adam, if you told me Everett ate only plastic and lived in trees, I'd have to believe you!

That's one of the few covers that I can recall seeing Roosevelt pictured.

Sounds like some good trivia. hm What other FDR covers are there?

realheroes1.jpg

The man who wouldn't be licked.

"gnhhh, snkkk, errr"

(Just back away from the computer, back away, there's no place good you can go with this...)

Before SHIELD developed the Hellicarrier (sp?), the nazi had their own version. Certainly more low tech but just as threatening ... until the Torch and Toro took care of it in All-Winners # 11 -

53973-AW11-HellyCarrier.jpg.80ce6663bfca0a060030fab16a6173e8.jpg

Has there been an article on how, at least at Timely, once the war was over many stories took a Horror bend? I know that the standard wisdom is to mention that super-heroes fought crime at home once the war was over but that's really overlooking all those weird menace stories I've been noticing lately. Here are 2 examples, both from All-Winners # 17: Cap in Horror Plantation and Human Torch in Voodoo Doll Murders! -

53974-Aw17-Cap-HorrorPlantation.jpg.3a26c953c8f0abbe47efbfa42c94830b.jpg

53975-AW17-HT-VoodooDollMurders.JPG.c205fb304932026fd68e31ddde1b72cd.JPG

:gossip: Spares. If you got a flat....

Very cool, Scrooge.

Those images aren't what I typically visualize when I think of Captain America and The Human Torch.

I like the splash pages. Are the stories any good?

Standard Scooby-Doo plots on the Cap America. The bayou atmosphere is nice but in the end, the Human Torch story was better: more twists, some Voodoo, some Ghost, a big reveal à la Thin Man at the end. More enjoyable. The art was more dynamic. Quite fun and not completely predictable.

Here's another page, esp. for Jack: Tinzene Acid. Does that even exist? I don't think it does.

53983-AW12-Torch-TinzeneAcid.jpg.a9715308428552f50ed14fa9cf80474d.jpg

Very cool, Scrooge.

Those images aren't what I typically visualize when I think of Captain America and The Human Torch.

I like the splash pages. Are the stories any good?

Standard Scooby-Doo plots on the Cap America. The bayou atmosphere is nice but in the end, the Human Torch story was better: more twists, some Voodoo, some Ghost, a big reveal à la Thin Man at the end. More enjoyable. The art was more dynamic. Quite fun and not completely predictable.

Here's another page, esp. for Jack: Tinzene Acid. Does that even exist? I don't think it does.

Spring break? :baiting:

Nope. Spring + Easter break, combined this year, starts after next Wednesday. :banana:

Today is exam grading day. :P I need breaks in between pages to cool down. I swear those students'll get my blood pressure sky high with some of the answers they cook up :pullhair:

Nope. Spring + Easter break, combined this year, starts after next Wednesday. :banana:

Today is exam grading day. :P I need breaks in between pages to cool down. I swear those students'll get my blood pressure sky high with some of the answers they cook up :pullhair:

Well, it's good to know you're giving their exams your undivided attention lol

Great story!

Love the panel of the giant squid feasting on the Japanese after getting "squished"! :applause:

NO DOUBT!! my instant favorite too!

Guardineer + underwater = :cloud9:

Some of those panels remind me of the Superman ACTION 15 underwater cover.

AWESOME story Scrooge, and really nice quality scans!!! Thanks for the dedication! (thumbs u

I just noticed in that last panel Tokyo was spelled Tokio.

Is that a mistake or some sort of old-fashioned derogatory slang?

Never too sure about the diologue of these old books that use words like shlameel! :insane: