• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Can we see some of the scans from PL 14? There are a lot of great Matt Baker splash panels that are just as good as the covers.

phantomlady2.jpg

BZ,

That is a pretty nice splash. It reminds me of a Skygirl splash. Nice work.

bb

Here's the cover to the Amazing Stories Annual that featured Burroughs' Master Mind of Mars story.

amazingstoriesannual.jpg

Of course, wonderful copy, BZ!! This cover is one of my favorite Paul's.

Seems super tough to find in high grade!! I have seen quite a few beaters over the years, but I guess people are hanging onto their nice copies. Mine is decent, but has had the front cover re-attached. Still, I'm sure it will be a while before a better copy comes up!

Heading over to Heritage to see what the last few were like...

Not as sharp or bright as BZ's copy, but still happy to own one!! Good PQ on this one.

ASANNUAL1927POST.jpg

(the McGlauglin (sp?) copy at Heritage went for over $3000 last year in Fine, and it was missing a pretty large triangular piece out of the bottom right corner!! :o )

(the McGlauglin (sp?) copy at Heritage went for over $3000 last year in Fine, and it was missing a pretty large triangular piece out of the bottom right corner!!

I remember. It sold for almost $4000.

Pulp collectors don't usually have that much money; they must have sold it to a comic collector. :gossip:

BZ,

I would guess Burgos but I don't really know. Maybe her costume reminds me of the Torch (or is she just carrying one).

bb

I have a few other scans with some pretty good art by guys that everyone knows.

2374660803_9f1aed4260_b.jpg

2375573284_7cb0ef7cea_b.jpg

2375573724_9bb294a2c4_b.jpg

I guess Conan isn't really golden age and the Frazetta art is a little late too. But the characters started in pulps and have a legacy. Flash is from the Harvey reprint. I have an ad for the fifth issue that only made it into limit print runs. Does anyone have an issue?

Identify the artist of these two panels and the name of the strip.

quiz24_1.jpg

Burgos, The Last Pirate, Star Comics

BB

^^

Very impressive, BB.

:golfclap:

BZ,

Thanks for the applause. I don't think I would have recognized the black and white version of The Last Pirate. When he said Ey, I thought he was Canadian. Which issue is it? Is that the earliest strip by Burgos or did he do something else?

I don't think I would have guessed that this DX story was Burgos. Well maybe...

bb

2375696622_ea9a5021fc_o.jpg

quiz24_1.jpg

Is that the earliest strip by Burgos or did he do something else?

It's the earliest that I'm aware of. (shrug)

Rick, Jon, Steve?

Do you know what is Burgos first published comic book work?

I don't think it's as well documented as say, Everett.

Will have to look into it further, unless someone else pops in with the answer.

BZ, you sure have been in a Centaur mood lately... :cloud9:

2373724315_3dc73a512c_b.jpg

BZ,

Did you see this Schomburg on the other site. I am always amazed at how much stuff he manages to put into one of his paintings. It looks to me like August does the planes and tanks and Alex does the human characters and the air brushing. Does anyone know if they worked that closely? This could have been a scene from Patton.

Bruce