• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

That ROCKS :headbang:

Thanks, Bill. :)

I remember you said you were collecting Amazing. Are you trying to collect the entire run; specific years; favorite covers? hm

Not sure yet. I buy them when they are priced reasonably. I only have about 40 issues so far. But I am on my way.

:grin:

Ahemm... I need to go back to my source for those and see if he has any more. Problem is, he lives about 8 hours away and I don't have a name or phone number. :pullhair:

Did you ever post a group shot?

What's 8 hours between friends? Head over this weekend.

I posted some of the bedsheet issues a while back. But what the heck, here they are again

P1010001-1.jpg

Here are the later issues in a "group" shot. Too lazy to arrange them with the covers facing.

pulps.jpg

And some other titles:

amazingstoriesgroup.jpg

And since I had them all out, a shot of my three favorite AMAN books...

PURE GA!! :headbang:

AMANspost.jpg

Yahoo!!!! Very Nice, Ryan.

And here's the first IRON SKULL splash, from AMAN #5 (and a few panels following):

AMAN5splashpost.jpg

For some reason, I really like this panel ... pure Burgos (or Finklestein):

AMAN5panelpost.jpg

And when they make the IRON SKULL movie starring George Clooney, I hope they will remember this classic sequence:

AMAN5detailpost.jpg

That ROCKS :headbang:

Thanks, Bill. :)

I remember you said you were collecting Amazing. Are you trying to collect the entire run; specific years; favorite covers? hm

Not sure yet. I buy them when they are priced reasonably. I only have about 40 issues so far. But I am on my way.

:grin:

Ahemm... I need to go back to my source for those and see if he has any more. Problem is, he lives about 8 hours away and I don't have a name or phone number. :pullhair:

Did you ever post a group shot?

What's 8 hours between friends? Head over this weekend.

I posted some of the bedsheet issues a while back. But what the heck, here they are again

P1010001-1.jpg

Here are the later issues in a "group" shot. Too lazy to arrange them with the covers facing.

pulps.jpg

And some other titles:

amazingstoriesgroup.jpg

Awesome. :applause:

P1010001-1.jpg

Very cool Bedsheets, Bill!! I have a weakness for the bedsheet Sci fi Gernsback pulps.

Looks like you held out for very sharp issues, which is smart when it comes to pulps! (thumbs u

P1010001-1.jpg

Very cool Bedsheets, Bill!! I have a weakness for the bedsheet Sci fi Gernsback pulps.

Looks like you held out for very sharp issues, which is smart when it comes to pulps! (thumbs u

Thanks Ryan, and Surfer. I am really enjoying them. And yes, I've ben trying to only buy nice copies of the bedsheets

P1010001-1.jpg

Thanks Ryan, and Surfer. I am really enjoying them. And yes, I've been trying to only buy nice copies of the bedsheets

Very cool, Bill. I am sure your new girl appreciates that. (thumbs u

P1010001-1.jpg

Thanks Ryan, and Surfer. I am really enjoying them. And yes, I've been trying to only buy nice copies of the bedsheets

lol Yeah, chicks don't really dig soiled, worn and brittle bedsheets!!

Unless you get them really, really drunk.

One thing about Burgos that cracks me up is that I always had this vision of an artist from South America or some such place only to recently discover that his given birth name was MAX FINKELSTEIN

I never knew that. :gossip:

Interesting bit of trivia. :applause:

You talk about layout ... the Iron Skull story drawn earlier (published Oct. 1939) is a lot more dynamic than the White Streak story from March 1940.

Overall I think Burgos' storytelling skills (ala Caniff or Toth) are better displayed in the White Streak story although I do like the imagery on this particular Iron Skull page.

55758-AM6-IM3.jpg

Maybe I'll get around to shooting a few pages from his early "Iron Skull" feature.

Love his work on "White Streak" (TARGET COMICS) too!!

Ryan, I'd love to see some "Iron Skull" or "White Streak" pages posted. :wishluck:

:shy:

Great stuff, Scrooge! I like the 2 high tension electrons, but nothing succeeds like a fist into the thug's jaw.

55752-T2-WS3.jpg

Combination of two metals, eh? Fiendishly clever -- do you think there's a name for that?

Thanks,

Jack

P1010001-1.jpg

For the brief time that they stay pristine...... :shy:

Maybe I'll get around to shooting a few pages from his early "Iron Skull" feature.

Love his work on "White Streak" (TARGET COMICS) too!!

Ryan, I'd love to see some "Iron Skull" or "White Streak" pages posted. :wishluck:

:shy:

Great stuff, Scrooge! I like the 2 high tension electrons, but nothing succeeds like a fist into the thug's jaw.

55752-T2-WS3.jpg

Combination of two metals, eh? Fiendishly clever -- do you think there's a name for that?

Thanks,

Jack

I think "Alloy" was a Holyoke character so there were some licensing snafus that made them refer vaguely to it...... (shrug)

Don't have the first page to this story from Amazing Man # 6 (shrug)

Another hit!

Label your reagents, I always tell my students. Look how well identified these guys' chemicals are!

GAS!

55757-AM6-IM2.jpg

CHLOROTONE! (oops, no label)

and of course

ACID!

55759-AM6-IM4.jpg

Thanks again,

Jack