• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

2379341358_d06c800d89_b.jpg

I thought I would post this Ad for the mysterious issue 5 of Flash Gordon. The original art looks better than the crude cover that appeared in the ad.

bb

Cool, thanks for posting this! Crude or not, I'd love to see the original too. BB, do you have a scan of a real copy? I've never even seen a pic of one.

Here is the original ad. I have never seen a real copy of Flash Gordon 5 either.

bb

2381982884_9715fbf525_b.jpg

doh! I just meant that I didn't want to duplicate if you're going to send it.

I don't think there's any firm deadline once a story's over 60 years old.

Jack

How silly of me (:

55832-CaptainWizard-TopsyTurvy.jpg

WOW!

A correspondent asks whether that's from the GoldenAgeUK site.

Sounds like a site I should investigate (although I vaguely remember joining).

Any chance of the Rest of the Story or a link?

Thanks,

Jack

Can't recall where I got the file from but quite possibly from GoldenAgeUK as we call it. The story spans the entire comic book so I'll post 2 more pages tonight ... and they are doozies too!! Imagine a biblical rain of cats and dogs (I kid you not) and an unusual appearance by Hitler himself in the middle of this craziness :o

I found another ad for comics while searching through some Goldage.UK scans. Does anyone know where this came from?

bb

2382601338_26f2f822e3_b.jpg

Hi BB,

Oddly enough, I have this ad in two comics: one is SILVER STREAK #9 (no big surprise there), and the other is AMAZING MAN #22 ( :o totally different publisher!)

can anyone explain this?

Its a very cool little house ad! Thanks for posting!

Oddly enough, I have this ad in two comics: one is SILVER STREAK #9 (no big surprise there), and the other is AMAZING MAN #22 ( :o totally different publisher!)

can anyone explain this?

I can try b/c I read it said by Joe Simon. It's highly possible (I would have to check) that both companies would have the same distributor. The distributor would win cross-advertising because 1) they need to up volume for profits and 2) it was not uncommon for the distributors to be major partners in the publishing houses, that is, distributors were in essence vertically integrating to make sure that they had a pipeline of products to put on the stands. The same scenario applied to the appearance of some ads for Prize books in late '40's DC books.

Scrooge

can anyone explain this?

I can try b/c I read it said by Joe Simon. It's highly possible (I would have to check) that both companies would have the same distributor. The distributor would win cross-advertising because 1) they need to up volume for profits and 2) it was not uncommon for the distributors to be major partners in the publishing houses, that is, distributors were in essence vertically integrating to make sure that they had a pipeline of products to put on the stands. The same scenario applied to the appearance of some ads for Prize books in late '40's DC books.

Scrooge

Thanks Scrooge ... I know this was happening late 1939/early 1940, but didn't realize it extended beyond that!

can anyone explain this?

Scrooge

Actually, I think it has to do with both books being put together by Lloyd Jacquets "shop", Funnies, Inc. Silver Streak 1 has an ad for Marvel Mystery #2 as well. The output of Centaur, Timely and the early incarnation of Lev Gleason (pre-Biro and Wood) were all provided by Jacquet.

can anyone explain this?

Scrooge

Actually, I think it has to do with both books being put together by Lloyd Jacquets "shop", Funnies, Inc. Silver Streak 1 has an ad for Marvel Mystery #2 as well. The output of Centaur, Timely and the early incarnation of Lev Gleason (pre-Biro and Wood) were all provided by Jacquet.

True, Richie, but from a "Follow the Money $$$" angle, why would Funnies, Inc. place cross-ads like this? What was their incentive? The publisher would have rather wanted to sell an actual ad than include a page advertising another line's product. If the publisher really was there only to provide capital and had no editorial control, the question folds back to: why would Funnies do that? Cut down on work (stick an ad recycling artwork instead of a new page)? or Promoting sales of its portfolio of products? ... the latter being the most plausable alternative all the more so since once the production left the shops and went in-house / freelance, those types of ads disappeared.

How more obvious could this get?

Look at the panel below and figure out how much pandering the artist was doing ... Tough question huh since for no reason at all the girl's head is simply absent from the panel but, the rest ... well, it's prominently figured (pun intended). Cool stuff.

Anyone has Wertham's email address? :insane:

55881-Zago2-Panel-Obvious.jpg.9931fdd040b44fbc5dbda67185573dbc.jpg

How more obvious could this get?

Look at the panel below and figure out how much pandering the artist was doing ... Tough question huh since for no reason at all the girl's head is simply absent from the panel but, the rest ... well, it's prominently figured (pun intended). Cool stuff.

Anyone has Wertham's email address? :insane:

Sneaky the way her breast overlaps the word balloon rather than vice versa -- just so no one misses the point.

Jack

55881-Zago2-Panel-Obvious.jpg

can anyone explain this?

Scrooge

True, Richie, but from a "Follow the Money $$$" angle, why would Funnies, Inc. place cross-ads like this? What was their incentive? The publisher would have rather wanted to sell an actual ad than include a page advertising another line's product. If the publisher really was there only to provide capital and had no editorial control, the question folds back to: why would Funnies do that? Cut down on work (stick an ad recycling artwork instead of a new page)? or Promoting sales of its portfolio of products? ... the latter being the most plausable alternative all the more so since once the production left the shops and went in-house / freelance, those types of ads disappeared.

The Ad was from the Amazing Man 22 issue. I was suprised to see it and I am glad that people took the time to explain why it was there. I still like Bob Wood's work on Silver Streak.

I also found an ad for the Comet at the end of the book. The scan is from fiche unfortunately and someone else might have shown this before. I mentioned in a previous post that Centaur and the Comet pulp were related but I didn't have the advertisement available. (Maybe the relationship is less secure since they also advertise Silver Streak but I will ignore that.) And some nice panels from Reef Kinkaid. Lubbers art looks good. He did a lot of work for Fiction House but I don't know what else he worked on.

2384281978_93dc46b5ac.jpg

2383402801_fa4ed21430_b.jpg

2384233984_f306e8c8b5_b.jpg

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

We're definitely beneficiaries of your digital camera! (thumbs u

Very cool pages BB ... I just obtained that issue, but your scans make that story look better than I realized it was!

and BZ: very cool pulp ad for AMAN comics... any issues of COMET that actually have covers for comics in the ads?