• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I don't think I've ever read a Congo War Drum story before.

Was it just a two issue series?

I'm not sure but it seems like it since I haven't seen any other episodes in later Amazing Man issues.

Here's another fun strip for you and Ryan - The Magician from Mars from Amazing Man # 11. Notice the Mars canals in the splash page and the romantic asides from the Magician and Prince Taal on page 3 (very Bendis-like). I see a lot of pulp illo influence in Giunta's style in this story and yet on page 6, it reminds more of McKay. All in all a very graphically interesting story -

55808-AM8-MM1.jpg.a35722c5db3274e54bd59f8c709532e8.jpg

55809-AM8-MM2.jpg.13d4e2e940a68d74dfd6d2827d716ee9.jpg

55810-AM8-MM3.jpg.33416a15b41df66935ef6d223d47e84a.jpg

55811-AM8-MM4.jpg.fe8105303c625fb61f54a89f285025f0.jpg

55812-AM8-MM5.jpg.c15b41f3186671ca1c463178de113708.jpg

55813-AM8-MM6.jpg.4b64d6c46c63c1fa212a1dcfc3faf4a6.jpg

55814-AM8-MM7.jpg.e8120d20f1963a944ac382c41bc186b1.jpg

Here's another fun strip for you and Ryan - The Magician from Mars from Amazing Man # 11. Notice the Mars canals in the splash page and the romantic asides from the Magician and Prince Taal on page 3 (very Bendis-like). I see a lot of pulp illo influence in Giunta's style in this story and yet on page 6, it reminds more of McKay. All in all a very graphically interesting story -

I suspect that top panel on p. 1 is Everett -- it's quite beautiful and inconsistent with the rest of the story. I can easily see Everett being used to create the mini-splash with the rest done by Giunta. I saw the McKay influence on p. 6 and am thinking it's a swipe but I can't prove it. At this point Giunta seems heavily influenced by Paul, with the rocket ships a variation of Buck Rogers.

Edited by adamstrange

100_1513.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. :applause:

That's a phenomenal story.

Especially memorable are the last three pages. :gossip:

Looks like a good'n. Was the whole story posted here? (Link if you know where it is?)

Thanks,

Jack

No, just the splash and one other page - don't have a copy handy to shoot the rest of the story at the moment, sorry.

Looks like a good'n. Was the whole story posted here? (Link if you know where it is?)

Thanks,

Jack

No it wasn't. I have it and can post it tonight if you'all want.

Yes, thanks. Can you think of a fan of botany and comics who collects Plant Menace stories? I know you can! I'd suggest that you send it directly to Tom but then I wouldn't get to see the rest.

Jack

Yes, thanks. Can you think of a fan of botany and comics who collects Plant Menace stories? I know you can! I'd suggest that you send it directly to Tom but then I wouldn't get to see the rest.

Jack

hm I'm due to email him anyway to set up my next visit ... I'll post the entire story tonight. (thumbs u

Can you think of a fan of botany and comics who collects Plant Menace stories?

Have there been many plant menace stories? confused.gif

Not many, I think.

There are some pre-hero Atlas plant monster stories (I don't know the issues off the top of my head). Both Marvel and DC had plant-animating villains like Plant Man and Floronic Man/Plant Master. Swamp Thing and his ilk are sort of plant menaces.

Jack

and then there's honeysuckle and kudzu

Can you think of a fan of botany and comics who collects Plant Menace stories?

Have there been many plant menace stories? confused.gif

Not many, I think.

There are some pre-hero Atlas plant monster stories (I don't know the issues off the top of my head). Both Marvel and DC had plant-animating villains like Plant Man and Floronic Man/Plant Master. Swamp Thing and his ilk are sort of plant menaces.

Jack

and then there's honeysuckle and kudzu

There's definitely a few pre-code plant menace stories. Two favorites come to mind but I' sure there are more.

Eerie 1. Vampire plants from Venus by Bob Powell. :cloud9:

EerieAdv1-2.jpg

StarSpangled129-2.jpg

Very cool images boys!!! Great to see so much love for AMAN COMICS... esp. issue #6.

The first part of the "Congo War Drums" story appears in AMAN #5 ... also loaded with Funnies inc. goodness! Everett, Burgos, Mills, Gustavson, Thompson, etc...

Thanks for posting the "Magician form Mars" story Scrooge!! Always fun reading!

(thumbs u

55808-AM8-MM1.jpg55814-AM8-MM7.jpg

Oh-h that vile Aunt Vanza. :mad:

lol Thanks, Scrooge. :applause:

That was a new take on the traditional Space Drama. :)

I loved the art, too. (thumbs u

I hope that serial plays here every week. :popcorn:

New York City and Hanlon, NJ have been wiped off the map, but basically all's well that ends well, right? (shrug)

Well, there are other larger issues looming in this story such as the one in the panel below. I know the colorists were paid peanuts if at all, but at the very minimum, they could have used the same color throughout each plane :screwy:

By popular acclaim, ... i.e., Jack wanted it, ... here's the complete Tarpe Mills story from Amazing Man # 6 -

55825-AM6-TM3.jpg

"Worsen Welds radio dramatization" -- HAW!

Thanks, great stuff Scrooge!

Did you send it to Tom?

Jack

Did you send it to Tom?

Jack

No, not yet ... :sorry: I'm a slacker. :cool:

doh! I just meant that I didn't want to duplicate if you're going to send it.

I don't think there's any firm deadline once a story's over 60 years old.

Jack

Well, there are other larger issues looming in this story such as the one in the panel below. I know the colorists were paid peanuts if at all, but at the very minimum, they could have used the same color throughout each plane

I like quirky things like that. :gossip:

It adds to the charm.

planes.jpg

:luhv: