• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Pulp Review # 11 with a Davis Moon Man story but also reprinted in the back pages was this: Sally the Sleuth from Spicy Detective Stories dated 09/1935.

Now that's what I call a -script lol -

Scrooge, please conduct more research regarding this intriguing historical curiosity and then post more scans. I may start collecting pulps. :blush:

Motorcycles were very popular with superheroes. I guess it was due to the convenience and gas mileage. The Black Cat appeared with a motorcycle on the cover of her first issue. Lee Elias drew the motorcycle with a shifter on the left hand side which confirms that the Black Cat was a Harley babe.

bb

2860558554_79f64f2f40_b.jpg

Interior scan from Black Cat 15

2859731341_78b8489485_b.jpg

I think the boots were a good idea but she could have worn a leather jacket and a helmut (which might not have fit over her mask). Thank goodness there was a surplus of WWII Harley bikes. If she jumps off at high speed, I doubt that the bike would survive. I suppose she took a taxi home.

bb

scans from Goldenagecomics.UK

Edited by BB-Gun

I am not sure how the Green Lantern managed to drive his bike across the rope without touching the accelerator or steering but I guess he made it. A magic ring would be very useful at a time like that. He could use a side-kick with a monkey wrench too. I am not sure that a dog would help much.

bb

2859939155_494584b368_o.jpg

Since I had to dig out this letter for someone else, I thought I would post it.

I was informed that the comic art show that Jerry Robinson worked on is touring the country. Can anyone confirm this?

Here is a list of some of the items that were on display at the Jewish Museum in NYC.

Mort Meskin Golden Lad 4 and 5 color guides

Jon Juan 1 by Alex Schomburg

Wally Wood and Jack Kiby Sky Masters strip original art

Alex Schomburg Boy Heroes cover for All New 8

Jack Kirby and Joe Simon cover for Adventure 78

Irwin Hasen Green Lantern cover recreation

Alex Schomburg Speed 35 cover

Lou Fine--The Flame cover for Wonderworld 10

and The Ray splash from Smash 31

Joe Kubert page from Brave and the Bold 21

Mort Meskin Golden Lad 5 cover

Joe Kubert Flash 97 Hawkman cover

Joe Kuber Brave and the Bold 35 Splash (Hawkman)

Schomburg Recreation paintings of the covers for Cap 9 and Marvel Mystery 15

Harvey Kurtzmena covers, drawing and lay outs for Mad 6, 11, 10, 7, 21, 1, 3, 16

and Two Fisted Tales 28 and Front Line Combat 7

Wally Wood and Harvey Kurtzmen 3d story for Mad 12

Harvey's layouts for Little Annie Fannie

Simon and Kirby Model sheet for Captain America (looks more like just Simon to me)

Will Esiner Spirit April 3, 1977

Biro Daredevil 6 cover (Lev Gleason, great piece)

Schomburg Human Torch 16 cover

Joe and Jack Fighting American Painting

Irwin Hasen Dondi page from 1955

Hand colored cover of Star Spangled 26, Joe Simon and Jack Kirby

Stuntman 1 page by Simon and Kirby

Joe Kubert Vigilante Splash from Action 127

Frey Ray Cover Recreations for Superman 12, 14, 18 and Action 44

Cover for Leading 1 by Mort Meskin

Master 27 page by Mac Raboy (filled with paste-on figures of Cap Marvel Jr., I would have loaned them fifty Flash Gordon Sunday pages which would have been better)

Beautiful covers of Detective 70 and 71 by Jerry Robinson (and the comics)

Jerry Siegel's typewriter (people used to use them before personal computers)

Joe Shuster cover for Superman scrapbook (looks like page 1 of any early Superman)

Another story by Joe Shuster that I didn't record

Mort Meskin Vigilante sketch

Lou Fine page from Crack 17 (Wow! You have to see this close up!)

-script by Bill Finger for a story in Batman 31 (it was a puppet story which I thought was in Detective)

Nothing by Bob Kane

Lots of work by Chris Ware and Gary Parter (sp?)

Robert Crumb art for Fritz the Cat from Head Comics

Crumb cover for San Frnacisco Comics

24 pages from R. Crumbs Scrapbook Dec 1962, Stories were all in pencil, very tight drawings with few erasures. Amazin' to see (How many people think of Charles Quinlan when the see Crumb's work?)

Another Crumb story from Great Blue's Artist (don't know if I got that right)

Ameican Splendor 4 cover

Kirby work from Thor 137, Silver Sufer 18, New Gods 7, Devil Dinosaur 4, Kamandi 1, FF annual 6, FF 89 page 16, Cover FF 93, FF 96 Cover, Page 9 FF 102, Captain 109 cover

There was a ton of Eisner work from the Spirit on display including sections and art from May 25, 1947 (splash), Dec 1, 1940 (splash), Dec 5, 1948 (art "Stop the Plot"), Sept 5 1948 ("Story of Gerhard Shnobble") and lots of oversize Sunday Spirit sections (Fun pages in the Philidelphia paper had Tabloid size spirit sections)

Lots of great art there. A lot down the street at the Metropolitan Museum too. Unfortunately the rest of the comic art collection is in Newark.

I was particularly happy after that trip because I found a package on my mail box from Pryor that contained the Jerry Robinson recreation of his Detective 70 cover (signed print). I thought Jerry did a great job on selecting the art and there was a large audience at the museum while I was there.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Motorcycles were very popular with superheroes. I guess it was due to the convenience and gas mileage. The Black Cat appeared with a motorcycle on the cover of her first issue. Lee Elias drew the motorcycle with a shifter on the left hand side which confirms that the Black Cat was a Harley babe.

bb

2860558554_79f64f2f40_b.jpg

Interior scan from Black Cat 15

2859731341_78b8489485_b.jpg

I think the boots were a good idea but she could have worn a leather jacket and a helmut (which might not have fit over her mask). Thank goodness there was a surplus of WWII Harley bikes. If she jumps off at high speed, I doubt that the bike would survive. I suppose she took a taxi home.

bb

scans from Goldenagecomics.UK

I am a huge fan of this series. Had a few issues over the years, but have flirted with the idea of putting the run together for years. One day I will.

Nice catalog!

It's actually just opened in Cleveland at the Maltz Museum of Jewish History -- a great museum with a permanent Siegel/Shuster display. Site is here:

http://www.maltzjewishmuseum.org/

I haven't been to it yet but saw it in NYC and not only is this version bigger, but have heard it is well worth the trip.

BR

Nice catalog!

It's actually just opened in Cleveland at the Maltz Museum of Jewish History -- a great museum with a permanent Siegel/Shuster display. Site is here:

http://www.maltzjewishmuseum.org/

I haven't been to it yet but saw it in NYC and not only is this version bigger, but have heard it is well worth the trip.

BR

Very nice BR. Thanks for the info. Did you go Newark to see the comic display there? I don't know that area very well and thought I would wait to see if it came to NYC.

bb

Interesting stuff (the Jewish museum of artists). Why was there nothing of Bob Kane? Was he of Jewish background or no? Speaking of backgrounds (if anyone knows) what backgrounds were there following: Bill Everett, George Roussos (Greek?), Bob Oksner, Paul Gustavson (sounds Scandanavian) , Jim Chambers, Frank Paul, Vincent Sullivan (sounds Irish), just to start?

Interesting stuff (the Jewish museum of artists). Why was there nothing of Bob Kane? Was he of Jewish background or no? Speaking of backgrounds (if anyone knows) what backgrounds were there following: Bill Everett, George Roussos (Greek?), Bob Oksner, Paul Gustavson (sounds Scandanavian) , Jim Chambers, Frank Paul, Vincent Sullivan (sounds Irish), just to start?

I don't believe they wanted any Bob Kane art in the show. He didn't do most of it anyway.

bb

I found some new Wolverton art scans at Goldenagecomics.UK.

These are Wonderful. I guess there are a few collections of his art but I don't know if they have all of the Target Spacehawk stories.

bb

2867770701_8836d4562f_b.jpg

2867814779_f43fc4289b_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I have a few extra copies of this old radio show premium from 1936.

The show was sponsored by Hecker HO Breakfast Cereals.

When Bobby Benson went National on CBS, they replaced the local guy with Billy Halop.

Billy had been an actor in top radio shows like "Let's Pretend". Billy got a lot of press and his picture was in this premium.

Eventually, Billy left the show to co-star in "Dead End" on Broadway.

The play was made into a movie with Joel McCrae, Bogart and Ward Bond.

The Dead End kids were almost as much trouble as the Marx brothers but they made several movies before Billy dropped out of the group.

He continued to work in radio until the fifties.

I probably have seen every Dead End, East Side and Bowery Boys (Kids) movie.

bb

2868162817_ddfca98ac2_o.jpg

2868162077_69123e21a5_o.jpg

I found some new Wolverton art scans at Goldenagecomics.UK.

These are Wonderful. I guess there are a few collections of his art but I don't know if they have all of the Target Spacehawk stories.

bb

2867770701_8836d4562f_b.jpg

2867814779_f43fc4289b_b.jpg

Fabulous stuff. I <3 Wolverton

Here's a cheap eBay pick-up that came to the house yesterday: it's a combo of the viewer + a film strip + a box from a Superman toy.

After receiving it, I ran a search online to find that Hakes had sold a set in the box a couple of years ago for about $1,000. I got my stuff for less than $10 shipped as I was the only bidder! Are these things common?

I have plenty of pics below: the box and viewer next to some Supes book for scale, the Hakes pics (notice my viewer is tortoise shell, the Hakes's is not) as well as some attempted scans of the film. My film is grimy and I think I should wash it with plain water? Would that be safe like cleaning old pictures with water?

I seem to recall seeing ads for these in DC books. Anyone know of a book that might showcase this item? I'd love to have a scan of the original ad. The Hakes page mentions 1949 but this probably was produced for several years.

There's another page online that has 6 different Superman film for sale. Mine as you'll see is # 4. It advertize # 5 and the top of the box does display # 4 as well.

(Sorry for the super-tall film strip scan)

65749.jpg.37c3eea9360b92fe6d85cc0803123f11.jpg

65750.jpg.a395448d5903eee442abe35f91914e27.jpg

65751.jpg.92eac16597b6f11f7e9449f34b7dd29d.jpg

65752.jpg.781e3fb9cbda5c22faffae0dcddee978.jpg

65753.jpg.e29dab9eb49fb25282fc7fd3d2656e90.jpg

Here's a cheap eBay pick-up that came to the house yesterday: it's a combo of the viewer + a film strip + a box from a Superman toy.

After receiving it, I ran a search online to find that Hakes had sold a set in the box a couple of years ago for about $1,000. I got my stuff for less than $10 shipped as I was the only bidder! Are these things common?

I have plenty of pics below: the box and viewer next to some Supes book for scale, the Hakes pics (notice my viewer is tortoise shell, the Hakes's is not) as well as some attempted scans of the film. My film is grimy and I think I should wash it with plain water? Would that be safe like cleaning old pictures with water?

I seem to recall seeing ads for these in DC books. Anyone know of a book that might showcase this item? I'd love to have a scan of the original ad. The Hakes page mentions 1949 but this probably was produced for several years.

There's another page online that has 6 different Superman film for sale. Mine as you'll see is # 4. It advertize # 5 and the top of the box does display # 4 as well.

(Sorry for the super-tall film strip scan)

Scrooge,

I asked Jon Bevans about these film strips several years ago and he told me that the viewers are easy to find. The quality of the film strips and the box that they come in is the important thing. I think the original box that was sold on Hake's auction is very desirable and probably is the reason for the difference in price. I like the film strip. I still have my Batman microfilm issues from Jerry Bails. They were a fun read back when reprints were not available. Even Fiche scans are being replaced by digital these days. But a cool little box or bunch of boxes with Superman's picture on them is nice to have.

bb

2871204170_0ca41ca5ab_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Scrooge,

I asked Jon Bevans about these film strips several years ago and he told me that the viewers are easy to find. The quality of the film strips and the box that they come in is the important thing. I think the original box that was sold on Hake's auction is very desirable and probably is the reason for the difference in price. I like the film strip.

Thanks for the info BB, as usual.

I do understand why the Box with the multiple films sold for that much and my stuff is probably worth no more than what I paid for it. Like the Puzzles posted last week, I actually find these types of items cool (if found cheap).

However, I can't imagine any child getting too excited from the strip / this toy :P