• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

posted in the group thread...

3131850795_0f096edd84_o.jpg

:applause:

I love Christmas covers. :cloud9:

Anyone know who had the very first Christmas cover? :popcorn:

Since Famous Funnies was the first modern comic,

I assumed that they would have the first Christmas cover. Famous Funnies 5 from the GCD.

3132631971_141c60cac2_o.jpg

I have an earlier Platinum age book with a Christmas cover but that is probably another question.

How many platinum age Christmas covers are there?

posted in the group thread...

Anyone know who had the very first Christmas cover? :popcorn:

Since Famous Funnies was the first modern comic,

I assumed that they would have the first Christmas cover. Famous Funnies 5 from the GCD.

3132631971_141c60cac2_o.jpg

3132704025_ecd4b61d84_o.jpg

I have an earlier Platinum age book with a Christmas cover but that is probably another question.

How many platinum age Christmas covers are there?

Edited by BB-Gun

I noticed this Batman parody from Toy Town comics by LB Cole. The Bat was practically blind after he lost his glasses.

Perhaps Bruce Wayne should have worn the glasses instead of Clark Kent. It would have been more bat-like.

bb

3132760159_bd3c1e16cd_o.jpg

Scan from goldenagecomics.co.uk

Edited by BB-Gun

This is an unusual cover.

It pictures prisoners escaping from an internment camp in the U.S during WWII.

captainmidnight23.jpg

The story identifies the camp as being near El Paso, Texas.

Great cover. That's one that slipped my attention over the years. So what kind of politically incorrect story is it? How things have changed.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that issue.

Hadn't seen that cover before, but now I have to get one. Very interesting historical snapshot.

Toy Town 1 -- I have a couple of scans of my copy.

Cover shows the Batman character (Bertie Bat) peering from the spine.

ToyTown01a.jpg

Page one, setting the very strange story in motion.

ToyTown1p1.jpg

Cover and page 1 look like Cole to me, but it looks like an assistant took over part way through the story. Is the whole book at goldenagecomics.co.uk? Is it under Croyden? How am I missing it?

Thanks,

Jack

I noticed this Batman parody from Toy Town comics by LB Cole. The Bat was practically blind after he lost his glasses.

Perhaps Bruce Wayne should have worn the glasses instead of Clark Kent. It would have been more bat-like.

bb

3132760159_bd3c1e16cd_o.jpg

Scan from goldenagecomics.co.uk

This is an unusual cover.

It pictures prisoners escaping from an internment camp in the U.S during WWII.

captainmidnight23.jpg

The story identifies the camp as being near El Paso, Texas.

Great cover. That's one that slipped my attention over the years. So what kind of politically incorrect story is it? How things have changed.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that issue.

Hadn't seen that cover before, but now I have to get one. Very interesting historical snapshot.

There were Japanese POWs held in Texas during WW2 - does the story actually describe it as an internment camp - or are they POWs? "Prisoner" could describe either group I suppose - and as I understand - there were camps that held both. It is notable that the escapees are not depicted in the racist caricature common at the time.

I had my Christmas early this year. My daughter came up north last week from South Carolina with her boy friend who is in the Marines.

We exchanged gifts and had a big dinner. One of the gifts that I received was the DC Vault which has a bunch of nifty items in it.

I won't go into detail about all of the stuff in case some of you get one tomorrow, cause it might spoil the surprise.

But I found a couple of reprints inside of items that I don't have. One was the Cleveland fire giveaway. The other is the comic mag that comes with the Superman Buddy suit. I was wondering whether this ad from an ACG comic was the same suit.

bb

3133258475_cb8441d02a_o.jpg

3133258727_e5223a0d41_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Toy Town 1 -- I have a couple of scans of my copy.

ToyTown01a.jpg

ToyTown1p1.jpg

Is the whole book at goldenagecomics.co.uk? Is it under Croyden? How am I missing it?

It's listed with the Unsorted Files.

Link

Jack,

If you check the Goldenage Comics message board at GA.UK, you will find that Yok lists the most recent 100 uploads.

There is a lot of information there that is helpful for identification of artists and publishers.

And there are a lot of neat comics posted. But I miss the smell of the golden age paper (and DC and Timely scans).

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I had my Christmas early this year. My daughter came up north last week from South Carolina with her boy friend who is in the Marines.

We exchanged gifts and had a big dinner. One of the gifts that I received was the DC Vault which has a bunch of nifty items in it.

I went to Amazon.com to check out your gift. :)

Link

Very cool. :applause:

Maybe Borders will have an after Christmas sale. hm

There were Japanese POWs held in Texas during WW2 - does the story actually describe it as an internment camp - or are they POWs? "Prisoner" could describe either group I suppose - and as I understand - there were camps that held both.

I'll dig out the comic after Christmas to get more details about the story. (thumbs u

An online article describes Fort Bliss in El Paso as housing German and Italian POW's during WWII.

Link

Further reading disclosed that the fort was also used as an internment camp for Japanese immigrants.

Link

If you check the Goldenage Comics message board at GA.UK, you will find that Yok lists the most recent 100 uploads.

What's the URL for that page?

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/stats2.php

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=3.0

I don't know if either of these will work as links but you can try.

bb