• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

They say the artist is C. A. Winter.

I'm not familiar with his work but I see from Jerry Bails Index and GCD that he did work for quite a few publishers during the Golden Age.

What's "annoying" with Winter is that I usual confuse the two Winters:

Charles W. Winter (C.W. Winter) and Chuck A. Winter (C.A. Winter)

esp., since both did work for Hillman.

Here are some Atlas Chuck pages I posted in Feb. (taken from Atlas Tales as the image show) -

161.jpg

517.jpg

1014.jpg

Here are three pretty good issue 4 fanzines.

Aurora 4 edited by Len Wein cover by Jack Kirby

3103966262_2955728920_o.jpg

Hold on! That's really crazy because that means that Kirby drew this BEFORE Captain America appeared in Avengers #4!! Avengers #4 came out in 3/64. And Strange Tales #114 came out in 11/63.

Therefore, this may very well be the first published image of Cap done by Kirby in the 60s. That's really incredible!

Hold on! That's really crazy because that means that Kirby drew this BEFORE Captain America appeared in Avengers #4!! Avengers #4 came out in 3/64. And Strange Tales #114 came out in 11/63.

Therefore, this may very well be the first published image of Cap done by Kirby in the 60s. That's really incredible!

Holy Cow. Good eye! (thumbs u

Folks are rushing out to find a copy of Aurora 4 as we speak.

knowing how early books hit the stands, i'm sure the s.t. was for sale in october, maybe earlier. let's have a 'net search for a nice s.t. 114 with an arrival date on it to show when it was actually available.

even harder are the little known variant copies of AU OR like this beauty!

Butt remember -- in ST #114 -- that's the Acrobat -- not Cap. And the costume is slightly altered in the issue to underline the distinction. That still makes this a historic cover!

I wonder if the original art to this still exists?!?

Butt remember -- in ST #114 -- that's the Acrobat -- not Cap. And the costume is slightly altered in the issue to underline the distinction. That still makes this a historic cover!

I wonder if the original art to this still exists?!?

You OA guys all have one track minds

Cool pix BZ!!

What issue is that from?

I notice on many of the weird menace Red Circles that I own, the text illos are obviously by Schomburg, but are not signed (likely due to their gruesome nature... he probably didn't want to be associated with the racy, gruesome content!)

3103325518_827ac1c9fb_o.jpg

The art on this strip was pretty good. My guess is that it was by Camy.

Since the GCD was down today, I can't check.

It could also be by Meskin but I think that is less likely.

bb

GCD is back up today.

They say the artist is C. A. Winter.

I'm not familiar with his work but I see from the Jerry Bails Index and GCD that he did work for quite a few publishers during the Golden Age.

I think the artist for that story in Top Notch 6 was listed as William Wills. He also did Kayo Kirby. The art in the other issues was supposedly by Wills but doesn't look as clean. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of other information to confirm this but the art is similar on some of the Kayo Kirby stories. Credits are a little confusing for Fiction House.

bb