• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Recently there was a discussion of the Ackermansion on this thread. Alan had some interesting pictures.

One of his photos was used as the cover for Movie Collectors World.

3351363621_05dea51a82.jpg

At one of Ackerman's first big auctions, held at Guernsey's in NYC, you could opt to have them rubber stamp your purchase with a memento of the occasion.

They put this mark on the inside back cover of pulps if you wanted it.

ackermanauction.jpg

According to the Frank R. Paul site, Forry had innumerable "meticulously painted recreations of FRP's covers done by a fan named Anton Brzezinski."

I don't think these are considered fake but just recreations. Paul also sold recreations that were made while they were still publishing those early covers. Are those for sale and what was the quality? just wondering.

bb

BB, Thanks for posting all these terrific scans. :applause:

The artists who have illustrated Tarzan is a mighty impressive group.

I wish there was an online source for comic strips similar to what GAcomics.co.uk is for comic books.

Moreira from 1946.

3343516387_2a993e2177_o.jpg

Wow, I never knew Moreira did Tarzan. I cant get enough of his 50's DC science-fiction art...I would love to see more of his 40s stuff!

Bill

I wish there was an online source for comic strips similar to what GAcomics.co.uk is for comic books.

Moreira from 1946.

Wow, I never knew Moreira did Tarzan. I cant get enough of his 50's DC science-fiction art...I would love to see more of his 40s stuff!

Bill

I like Moreira's work on Tarzan. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of his strips.

I purchased the Sunday Funnies for the Superman and Hogarth Tarzan strips.

They are also difficult to scan especially on my new more compact scanner. Perhaps if I get a new digital camera,

I can photograph all of the Sunday pages. The Flash Gordon strips are worth seeing. Speaking of science fiction,

I have a lot more MacRaboy Flash Gordon strips which haven't been scanned.

He was my favorite as a child (and Kirby).

bb

According to the Frank R. Paul site, Forry had innumerable "meticulously painted recreations of FRP's covers done by a fan named Anton Brzezinski."

Well, that's an interesting revelation. I Googled Brzezinski's name and was able to see numerous examples of his work.

Link

I don't think these are considered fake but just recreations. Paul also sold recreations that were made while they were still publishing those early covers.

I didn't know that fact either. Is there a website that reproduces any images of Paul's recreations?

Moreira from 1946.

Bill

I like Moreira's work on Tarzan. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of his strips.

I purchased the Sunday Funnies for the Superman and Hogarth Tarzan strips.

They are also difficult to scan especially on my new more compact scanner. Perhaps if I get a new digital camera,

I can photograph all of the Sunday pages. The Flash Gordon strips are worth seeing. Speaking of science fiction,

I have a lot more MacRaboy Flash Gordon strips which haven't been scanned.

He was my favorite as a child (and Kirby).

bb

Nice art by Moreira. I guess his ERB work is overshadowed by the works of Foster & Hogarth, he mostly appears in the footnotes of EBR fandom - under his pen name: Rubimor.

Here is one of my favorite "Rubimor" covers from the late 50s!

HOM_70.jpg

Such a marvelous little series. Looks like a matched set of high quality copies! :applause:

Thanks. :)

I'm also fortunate to have all the Oriental Stories (whose title changed to Magic Carpet Magazine with the January 1933 issue) in the same nice condition.

Here are a couple of covers which I posted last Summer.

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

Margaret Brundage's first published cover. (Spring 1932)

What a great start! It was a real pleasure the two times I've been able to see the original art to her covers.

How Ruben Moreira got the Tarzan job is very funny.

The art director at King Features was looking for a new artist seeing as Hogarth was leaving the strip. He was shown a Jungle Comics issue with art by Reed Crandall and decided to stop by Fiction House to see if he was interested in teh job. So he brought this comic book with him and asked about the artist and if he could talk to him.

I think it was Ralph Mayo (art director at FH at the time) who said "Suer. He's over there" and he pointed toward Reed who was at a drawing table doing pages. Well, Ruben was at another drawing table in between the guy and Reed and he thought that was who Ralph was pointing at, offered him teh job and only after he had signed a contract & started putting in the work did the guy at KFS realize something was amiss. Too late.. Of course, this probably has soemthing to do witgh why "Rubimor" was not the Tarzan artist for longer than a year or so at whioch point Hogarth's "Drago" strip fail, putting him in line to take the Tarzan strip back..

Hey BZ. I have been specifically watching and reading your thread from the beginning and I just want say thank you for sharing your amazing collection. It's like watching the past come alive. Thank you again. :)

Thanks, Frenchy. :)

I haven't seen you since the late 30's.

frenchy.jpg

Where have you been keeping yourself? :whistle:

I have never seen the Paul recreations. I am only referring to the ad that appeared in back issues of SF magazines.

bb

2407597494_1b0e65262a_b.jpg

I wonder if they actually ever produced those reproductions. I don't think I've ever heard of a collector owning one of them.

Do any of the readers in the letter columns mention that they bought one?

Hey BZ. I have been specifically watching and reading your thread from the beginning and I just want say thank you for sharing your amazing collection. It's like watching the past come alive. Thank you again. :)

Thanks, Frenchy. :)

I haven't seen you since the late 30's.

frenchy.jpg

Where have you been keeping yourself? :whistle:

lol

lol, I figured the name would grab your attention :) I am a huge fan of old gang/mob comic books like the ones in the old detective comics. I'm not going pretend i know much about them but I am very interested in learning more about them.

My Grandfather turned me on to older comic books after reading couple of detective comic books from 2001 that had Slam Bradley in them. Very cool stuff indeed.

Everyone here has such great stories to tell. Real privilege to read. :)

Bill

Here are some scans I posted eons (sp?) ago of Tarzan by Moreira. These are great examples but his work is rather uneven during his tenure -

75873.jpg.0f6998f24db7d0971e7c28e295d419be.jpg

75874.jpg.7e088a5cf620c39aa3061615e377f9e1.jpg

75875.jpg.6b2c220e1dad0c9fae81811a5a54e414.jpg

75876.jpg.97ef01abd2fb234a6e1a9ecad7a0591d.jpg

Here are some scans I posted eons (sp?) ago of Tarzan by Moreira. These are great examples but his work is rather uneven during his tenure -

75873.jpg

75874.jpg

75875.jpg

Moreira's work looks a lot better than what I recalled.

The other photo that interested me was the one of the paintings that Forrest had on the wall. Did these sell when he moved?

3351363933_3c88af7427_b.jpg

If he sold them at the sale described in this clipping, they probably went very cheap.

253356080_99500ddab4.jpg

253356085_aa204ae437.jpg

Photos courtesy of Alan Light

Thanks! I think his stuff is just spectacular!

Viva Moreria!!!

A lot of strips and a few covers published by Fiction House were attributed to Rubimor in the Fiction House Guide. I thought these three reminded me of some of the Tarzan work.

3366448410_5edb98a897_b.jpg

3366438492_9447a697a6_b.jpg

3365612255_261026abe9_o.jpg