• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Darn cat!!!! :pullhair:

durell2.jpg

It's odd seeing that Rick allowed his cat to walk on his comics. He was always a stickler for buying comics in the very best condition. (shrug)

I also noticed that neither Rick nor the Collector's Bookstore bagged any of their comic books at that time.

Cat owners are like that I've noticed. They let them walk all over everything. So unsanitary!

:sick:

Is it just me, or is Rick, in the centre photo, the spitting image of actor Alan Young, best known for his role as Wilbur Post in Mr Ed?

Ye gods, Young is still alive and working (at least in 2005). He's 90 this year!

Sorry for the derailment. We now return you to your regular programming . . . . .

I don't think I saw Famous Monsters of Filmland until I was a teenager. I liked those kind of magazines

so I assume I would have noticed them if they were for sale .

I guess it just wasn't distributed in my area.

The earliest Castle of Frankenstein I purchased was #2.

I bought this issue off eBay.

castleoffrankenstein1.jpg

Great cover BZ!

I liked some of the articles in CF and Screen Thrills Illustrated too.

I was more of a detective mystery and serial fan than a monster fan but I did enjoy seeing Blaisdells' creations and Ray Harryhausen's models.

I also liked the big three movies, i.e., werewolves, vampires and Frankenstein, oh my.

Speaking of vampires, I think Mr. Door Tree posted this vampire cover which could easily be one of my favorites.

It was cleaned up a bit with photoshop.

bb

3378493077_418bce83e2_b.jpg

3379825500_01c3fd2042_b.jpg

3379825732_166a9fccd9_o.jpg

Since I mentioned vampires, we should give some more time to the other guys. I don't think these were my scans originally. Are they yours BZ? I wonder who did the art for these two masterpieces.

bb

Merian Cooper is partly responsible for the nifty fight between the bi-wing airplanes and Kong at the end of the movie.

He is also responsible for the absurd finale to Flying down to Rio.

He had women standing on top of the wings and dancing to the music as the planes flew over Rio.

(I guess that was the first Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie.)

The scene was repeated in a way on a broadway stage for "The Drowsy Chaperone".

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

3379068853_8b4cd86505_b.jpg

I found a copy of Phil's catalogue from 1968 in one of the old boxes. He had a specific section for first issues.

The prices were low but to make it a good investment, you would have to take care of the comics and hold on to them for 40 years.

You would also have to fight dealers like Rogofsky and Bails who probably purchased a lot of these to fill customers' Want Lists.

But look at the prices of the original art. Ouch!

bb

3379061923_ef56349582_o.jpg

I am not sure how he managed to put this all together but Greg Sadowski sent me a copy of his new book. Supermen! The First Wave of Comic Book Heroes 1936-1941

3380828332_5d9740c9d1_o.jpg

It looks like a whole goldenage collection in onebook.

There are some great Daredevil vs Claw stories by Cole and it is hard to find those Silver Streak comics.

There are also stories by Eisner, Guardineer, Fine, Kirby and Wolverton. Fletcher Hanks was also included due to his recent popular book I guess.

Other artist that were represented were Everett and Briefer. I am not suprised that he finally decided to put some early work by Everett into the pile.

His art is just too good and his stories are very popular. But I was suprised that he included Richard Briefer.

I have always enjoyed his Rex Dexter strip but it was never as big as some of the other Fox strips.

However, he could have included a Rex Dexter Destruction Ray kit with the book. His models were fun to see and make.

The other suprise was the Skyman adventure.

I like Ogden Whitney's work and had recommended one of his strips but I also recommended and scanned Mr. Justice which was not included.

Instead a Comet strip was included which makes me almost as happy.

Perhaps Cooper's art can make it into another book with that early Montana superhero work.

Its a fun read and I highly recommend the book. Other fans, who did a lot more than me to help Greg, are acknowledged at the end of the book.

Particularly, Jon Berk, Craig Carlson and Jim Vadeboncoeur were thanked for their help in assembling the material for the book.

Thanks for the book Greg!

Now you have something to give as Christmas presents this year BZ and I have a matching card for you.

Before Superman, Popeye by BZ

3380239604_eefcc4170c_o.jpg

Trimmed up Xmas Card is from Mr. Door Tree's site.

I found a copy of Phil's catalogue from 1968 in one of the old boxes. He had a specific section for first issues.

The prices were low but to make it a good investment, you would have to take care of the comics and hold on to them for 40 years.

You would also have to fight dealers like Rogofsky and Bails who probably purchased a lot of these to fill customers' Want Lists.

But look at the prices of the original art. Ouch!

bb

Wow, I would have loved to get that Kubert Viking Prince page!

Is Sadowski's book reprints of stories? How is commentary/original art/history/photos etc?

3379825732_166a9fccd9_o.jpg

Since I mentioned vampires, we should give some more time to the other guys. I don't think these were my scans originally. Are they yours BZ?

I wonder who did the art for these two masterpieces.

The scans aren't mine. Maybe Mr. Door Tree?

Glenn Cravath produced the artwork for the King Kong 1-sheet and 6-sheet posters. Maybe he illustrated the 3-sheet, too.

Lots of Cravath's originals turned up for sale a few years ago when his son died. King Kong is one of my all time favorite movies so I bid on all of the Kong illos. I didn't win a single thing. censored.gif

I ended up being the underbidder on most everything, including the auction catalog's cover illustration. :frustrated:

kingkong-1.jpg

I found a copy of Phil's catalogue from 1968 in one of the old boxes.

look at the prices of the original art. Ouch!

Wow, I would have loved to get that Kubert Viking Prince page!

I bought a couple of Viking Prince pages from Seuling back then.

I sold them to H. Shelton Drum about 30 years ago.

Maybe he still has them. :gossip:

I am not sure how he managed to put this all together but Greg Sadowski sent me a copy of his new book. Supermen! The First Wave of Comic Book Heroes 1936-1941

3380828332_5d9740c9d1_o.jpg

Now you have something to give as Christmas presents this year BZ and I have a matching card for you.

Before Superman, Popeye by BZ

3380239604_eefcc4170c_o.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up about Greg's book. I'll be on the lookout for it. (thumbs u

And, thanks for the card. lol

I love Popeye. I bought volume 2 of the Popeye the Sailor DVD's (1938-1940) the other day.

51nBtDuN4LL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

3378493077_418bce83e2_b.jpg

I love the covers on those Spicy pulps.

I don't remember ever seeing that one before.

H.J. Ward?

I think you are right. Most of those covers were attributed to H.J. Ward.

Spooky eyes!

Batman would have looked a little more formidable if he had a costume like that. But hard to draw I imagine.

Facial expressions might not work with those strange fangs.

Is Sadowski's book reprints of stories? How is commentary/original art/history/photos etc?

Sadowski's book is primarily quality reprints of golden age stories by a variety of creators. He provides about 180 pages of stories followed by a review of each character and artist that created them. Details are provided about the artists careers and how their characters related to the times and what was being produced by other companies. It was an interesting perspective on the pre-war era and the new heroes that appeared after Superman. But the book is primarily for enjoying the old stories which are sometimes bizarre and sometimes odd but since they were breaking new ground, most were very creative. Check it out. Price is a little less than a dozen modern comics or one or two comics in a quality format.

bb

I can provide scans of some of the stories but none of my scans would show the detail that Greg needed to produce a quality reproduction.

Sadowski's book is primarily quality reprints of golden age stories by a variety of creators. He provides about 180 pages of stories followed by a review of each character and artist that created them. Details are provided about the artists careers and how their characters related to the times and what was being produced by other companies. It was an interesting perspective on the pre-war era and the new heroes that appeared after Superman. But the book is primarily for enjoying the old stories which are sometimes bizarre and sometimes odd but since they were breaking new ground, most were very creative. Check it out. Price is a little less than a dozen modern comics or one or two comics in a quality format.

bb

I can provide scans of some of the stories but none of my scans would show the detail that Greg needed to produce a quality reproduction.

Thanks, looking forward to it!

Finally had time to pull out the book and scan some more pages (sorry but the book format and my @#%^ scanner's design don't mesh very well ...). I went ahead and kept these larger (thumbs u

Tarzan-Rubimor-797.jpg

Tarzan-Rubimor-800.jpg

Tarzan-Rubimor-804.jpg

Tarzan-Rubimor-782.jpg