• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Reprints of Fujitani?

I tried to interest Greg in reprinting some Cooper stories and Fujitani but I don't think they made it into his latest book on early Supermen.

Mr. Justice was early enough but Hangman was not.

Fugitani's crime stories were drawn in a more realistic (proportional) manner

and I don't think they are as impressive.

It isn't just the stories but it was also a style change. Maybe we can blame it on the inker.

There are probably other stories in Continental Comics publications that were done by Fuje.

Which reminds me, my other favorite is Palais. I spotted this Black Cat scan recently.

He also did some nice work for Continental and Lev Gleason and his style did not change.

3373428101_81f0218d59_o.jpg

3374259700_6afc40dacb_o.jpg

Scans from GA.UK

I believe we are all familiar with Kirby's Sky Masters strip. At the same time in England, Jeff Hawke was taking to the same skies in probably what were better stories. Here are 16 dailies from Jeff Hawke's Overlord sequence circa 1958. Enjoy? -

76184.jpg.ac8e4ae2041136719ba0511bd6f5133f.jpg

76185.jpg.29ffb9ef638d5ae00371299331d367e1.jpg

76186.jpg.17ad8fcdfc24f2605be09f22076f6a44.jpg

76187.jpg.b449aa89316c3e4a762faeb93f2be92d.jpg

76188.jpg.4bd43b02ac216dc529a3519a75e4d26a.jpg

This isn't a golden age publication but it was edited by golden age fans.

I don't think Forry was happy about the publication but the readers appreciated Ron Haydock's reviews of old movies with robots,

Commando Cody and Superman, not to mention Blaisdell's monster reviews.

I found it on the top of the pile while searching for Disney BLB and premiums.

3377154322_faa5d88f7f_o.jpg

Christopher Lee is amazing. He made these old monster movies and continued working through Bond movies and the new Star Wars series.

And there was "Horror Guaranteed to Shock you dead or your life refunded"

... and the last one I've scanned. I really enjoy when the creators deliver a single panel in a daily strip (see the first strip in the previous post).

Destroy everything in its path and the earth is next! You got me worried and then you quit.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I believe we are all familiar with Kirby's Sky Masters strip. At the same time in England, Jeff Hawke was taking to the same skies in probably what were better stories. Here are 16 dailies from Jeff Hawke's Overlord sequence circa 1958. Enjoy? -

Thanks, Scrooge. :applause:

Up until now, my only exposure to Jeff Hawke was isolated reprints in books like Maurice Horn's World Encyclopedia of Comics and The Penguin Book of Comics.

It looks like a great strip, especially reprinted large like your copies.

I have some Castle Frankenstein issues too, but I think I purchased most of them from my neighbor during a garage sale. I have one CF with a Star Trek article which means it was published later than FM 1 (1962). I also have some Spaceman magazines from the same time.

bb

3377154322_faa5d88f7f_o.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing that magazine on the newsstands when I was kid.

My favorite was Castle of Frankenstein.

These are great monster mags! Published by none other than Hollywood prop historian/gorrilla actor Bob Burns.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob at a con in the 90s and not only did he sign my copies of FANTASTIC MONSTERS, but we spent a 1/2 hour talking about King Kong! What a wonderful afternoon that was... :cloud9:

Bill

I don't think I saw Famous Monsters of Filmland until I was a teenager. I liked those kind of magazines so I assume I would have noticed them if they were for sale . I guess it just wasn't distributed in my area.

The earliest Castle of Frankenstein I purchased was #2.

I bought this issue off eBay.

castleoffrankenstein1.jpg

For many years I was buying every issue of Filmfax, Outre, Cult Movies Magazine, Scarlet Street, Psychotronic, etc.

I stopped when I realized how much I was spending every month, plus it dawned on me that I was never going to get around to reading everything.

Are any of them still being published?

Darn cat!!!! :pullhair:

durell2.jpg

It's odd seeing that Rick allowed his cat to walk on his comics. He was always a stickler for buying comics in the very best condition. (shrug)

I also noticed that neither Rick nor the Collector's Bookstore bagged any of their comic books at that time.

Cat owners are like that I've noticed. They let them walk all over everything. So unsanitary!

:sick:

durell2.jpg

It's odd seeing that Rick allowed his cat to walk on his comics. He was always a stickler for buying comics in the very best condition. (shrug)

I also noticed that neither Rick nor the Collector's Bookstore bagged any of their comic books at that time.

Cat owners are like that I've noticed. They let them walk all over everything. So unsanitary!

It is difficult to stop a cat from walking on things. They don't understand the word stay. They think it means hesitate. At least they don't chew everything like a dog.

bb

PS My dog chewed up all of the pillows on my couch and then chewed up the back of the couch. I never let her in the comic room.

durell2.jpg

I make my cat wash her hands before she reads any of my comics. :gossip:

catgrader.jpg

durell2.jpg

I make my cat wash her hands before she reads any of my comics. :gossip:

catgrader.jpg

My cat wears white cotton gloves.

But that's only because she doesn't like to get newsprint on her paws. meh