• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Jesus H' Christ, you people almost make me disgusted to be a comic collector. Most of your questions are for the prospector not the collector. Can you not enjoy the pictures presented before you without asking "how much is this" "this guy is hyping his books" "there must be an agenda". Look at the freaking books for gods sake. When/If he makes additional statements as to whether the books are for sale, then make your comments as to his agenda/intentions. You are ruining threads like these for all of us by making your assumptions by multiple posts and ruining the original intent of this thread. Hell, I'm even writing this inebriated (sp?). so cut it out people. I like pretty covers, keep em runnin'

Turn back while there is still time because... foreheadslap.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

The comics are NOT for sale.

I've been consistent right from the start about letting that fact be known.

Every Private Message, I've repeatedly said: "I am still enjoying them. They are not for sale."

I've never once hedged and said, "...well, if the price is right" or "Make me an offer."

So, to sum up... makepoint.gif

gossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gif

A super collection for sure.Owned by a super guy.Thanks BZ

I don't know what that last post was all about but I do know what my favorite post in this thread was and it always gives me a laugh.

Quote: Being a latecomer to these boards I realize that almost anything I choose to post has probably already been uploaded. So, I'm going to pick things from my collection rather randomly and hope there's some interest.

To start, I think I'll begin with All-American 3,4, 6 & 9. To be followed by more from this series tomorrow, and then maybe a bunch of early Detective Comics beginning with number 11.

end of quote by BZ

Since that first post, this thread has presented a lot of comics, pulps and books that I have never seen before. Add to that the quizzes and the art discussions and you come up with a mighty good thread that should be enjoyed by all collectors without thinking about how much that cost and how much money I can make if I sell that book. Fun stuff. Thanks BZ. And your first comment was such an understatement.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Looking forward to seeing those All Americans BB! :applause:

BZ has all of those early All Americans.

I only have a coverless issue 2 or 5 which I picked up outside under a tree at a flea market.

1737394492_5336ea9e83.jpg

Looking forwar to seeing those All Americans BB! :applause:

That was a quote by BZ. Sorry if it was obtuse. Those All Americans are still posted at the beginning of the thread. By BZ.

Oh. doh!

I usually get obtuse, not this time I guess.

Looking forwar to seeing those All Americans BB! :applause:

That was a quote by BZ. Sorry if it was obtuse. Those All Americans are still posted at the beginning of the thread. By BZ.

Oh. doh!

I usually get obtuse, not this time I guess.

:makepoint:

Here's an interesting montage showcasing how Disney got inspiration for some sequences from ... Disney. About 3 minutes long. Watch to the end as several sequences are shown. I was pointed to it by Evanier's newsfromme.com blog -

Very cool, thanks Scrooge.

It won't be long before the technology to convert traditional 2d animation to 3d animation templates will be available. That's going to raise some interesting questions related to ethics and copyrights.

That's exactly the comment my wife made when I showed her the video. She anticipated that technology would make it easier. Copy movement, slap on a difference character design, a new skin to the skeleton if you will and it becomes too easy ...

What impressed me the most in the footage is again how superior IMO Snow White still is :cloud9:

Are you still working in the field, tb?

What impressed me the most in the footage is again how superior IMO Snow White still is :cloud9:

Are you still working in the field, tb?

I was just watching Snow White again a few days ago. The more I learn about the history of animation, the more impressive it seems to get.

I no longer make a living in the animation field (used to work for Pixar R&D) but still follow the latest research from journals and conferences. I am glad Disney holds patents since I know many researchers who otherwise would not hesitate to produce poorly done 3d recreations of famous 2d sequences. Fortunately, many of the top people at Disney/Pixar truely love 2d animation and they would never allow any 3d recreation - at least not without 10 times the investment it took to produce "Snow White".

Call me crazy for this but I was checking the preview pages for the upcoming Young Allies Masterwork volume and noticed this page -

YNGALS002009_col.jpg

Notice the Note from the Editor referencing a character that appeared in Cap Am # 9. Is this the earliest one of these cross-series references?

Currently reading Doc Savage's Mad Mesa from 1939. Early in the book the villains try to kill Doc and his aides by throwing them in a burning coal field, i.e., an underground coal layer on fire. The incident takes place in Ohio. Turns out such events are relatively common and the fire can last for ages. Here's how from Slate.com:

"One of the wildfires burning in Colorado was started by flames from an underground coal fire that "may have been burning since 1910." How can a fire burn underground for 92 years, and why hasn't anyone put it out before now?

Underground fires usually begin when a coal seam juts up through the ground's surface. The coal can be ignited in three ways: by human accident, by lightning, or by spontaneous combustion—the process by which the explosive gases contained in coal combine with oxygen and heat up to the point where they burst into flame. (This process typically starts underground where the heat can't be dissipated into air.) When the seam ignites, the flames spread to burn the adjacent, underground coal.

But fire needs oxygen to burn. So what keeps underground fires burning for decades? Once a portion of the coal has burned, it turns to ash. Since the ash can't support the weight of rock layers above, the layers buckle, creating cracks and crevices where oxygen can get through and rejuvenate the fire. Underground fires are also sustained by mineshafts, which provide a steady stream of oxygen to the inferno.

Why don't forest rangers just put out underground fires? First, they have to find them. Underground fires are hard to pinpoint from the surface, and rangers often need satellite equipment (not yet widely available) to properly do the job. If they manage to find the fire, a special foam called cellular grout can be pumped into the ground to fill up holes and keep oxygen out. Unfortunately, cellular grout is prohibitively expensive, and it's difficult to plug all the leaks. Even good old-fashioned water is useless. Coal fires can reach temperatures of 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, so water dumped on them evaporates instead of putting them out."

A little far afield from funny books I guess ... but if we keep on bumping the thread, maybe BZ will post more of his pristine Doc pulps :wishluck: Maybe even Mad Mesa ...

I received an old price guide (1974) in the mail the other day, and tucked inside it was this article. You may find it intertesting, I know I did.

If Bedrock reads this, he will certainly enjoy it!

Rowe.jpg

Currently reading Doc Savage's Mad Mesa from 1939. Early in the book the villains try to kill Doc and his aides by throwing them in a burning coal field, i.e., an underground coal layer on fire. The incident takes place in Ohio. Turns out such events are relatively common and the fire can last for ages. Here's how from Slate.com:

"One of the wildfires burning in Colorado was started by flames from an underground coal fire that "may have been burning since 1910." How can a fire burn underground for 92 years, and why hasn't anyone put it out before now?

Underground fires usually begin when a coal seam juts up through the ground's surface. The coal can be ignited in three ways: by human accident, by lightning, or by spontaneous combustion—the process by which the explosive gases contained in coal combine with oxygen and heat up to the point where they burst into flame. (This process typically starts underground where the heat can't be dissipated into air.) When the seam ignites, the flames spread to burn the adjacent, underground coal.

But fire needs oxygen to burn. So what keeps underground fires burning for decades? Once a portion of the coal has burned, it turns to ash. Since the ash can't support the weight of rock layers above, the layers buckle, creating cracks and crevices where oxygen can get through and rejuvenate the fire. Underground fires are also sustained by mineshafts, which provide a steady stream of oxygen to the inferno.

Why don't forest rangers just put out underground fires? First, they have to find them. Underground fires are hard to pinpoint from the surface, and rangers often need satellite equipment (not yet widely available) to properly do the job. If they manage to find the fire, a special foam called cellular grout can be pumped into the ground to fill up holes and keep oxygen out. Unfortunately, cellular grout is prohibitively expensive, and it's difficult to plug all the leaks. Even good old-fashioned water is useless. Coal fires can reach temperatures of 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, so water dumped on them evaporates instead of putting them out."

A little far afield from funny books I guess ... but if we keep on bumping the thread, maybe BZ will post more of his pristine Doc pulps :wishluck: Maybe even Mad Mesa ...

Centralia, Pennsylvania, has been burning since 1962. The town was finally abandonded a couple of years ago.