• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I noticed this scan was posted at GA.UK. Those early Target issues were terrific. Do you have most of them BZ? Is the cover by Simon or Simon and Kirby?

I think that cover looks like the work of Joe Simon. hm

I have a few Target Comics. I wish I had more.

One of my favorite features in the early issues is Calling 2-R.

Scrooge posted a couple of pages last year.

51956-Calling-2-R-Splash.jpg

51955-Calling2-R-TargetComics.jpg

Those are terrific pages, not sure how I missed or forgot about them.

Who's the artist?

I think the strip was signed by Alonzo Vincent aka Jack Warren.

From the WhosWho:

WARREN, JACK

Name and vital stats

WARREN, ALONZO VINCENT (artist; writer)

Pen names

ALONZO; ALONZO APPLESEED; ALONZO VINCENT; JACK A. WARREN; VINCENT

Print Media (non-comics)

Artist: Magazines: Pulps

Artist: Magazines: St. Nicholas 1932 > 32

Syndication

LOCO LUKE [sunday] (wr/pen/ink/) 1935 for George Matthew Adams Service > 35

PECOS BILL (wr/pen/ink/) 1937 for George Matthew Adams Service > 37

Comics in other media

Gag cartoons (wr/pen/ink/) for newspapers

Comics Studio (Shop)

BERNARD BAILY STUDIO (pen/ink/) c1945 unconfirmed > 45

FUNNIES INC. (wr/pen/ink/) c1939-48 > 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

AVON COMICS

COW PUCHERS~ (wr/pen/ink/) 1947 > 47

BAILY PUBLICATIONS

HOOCH AND POOCH TWINKLE (wr/pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

CHARLTON COMICS

CHUBBY AND JACK (wr/pen/ink/) 1944 > 44

CONSOLIDATED BOOK

JUNIOR (wr/pen/ink/) 1944 > 44

CROYDEN PUBLICATIONS

TEENY MC SWEENY (wr/pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

DC COMICS

LOCO LUKE (wr/pen/ink/) 1935 > 35

DELL PUBLICATIONS

LOCO LUKE (wr/pen/ink/) 1938 reprint > 38

PECOS BILL (wr/pen/ink/) 1937 reprint > 37

FEATURE COMICS

BUCK SAUNDERS (pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

HILLMAN PERIODICALS

HOMICIDE HANK (wr/pen/ink/) 1941 > 41

PECOS PETE (wr/pen/ink/) 1941 reprint ? unconfirmed > 41

LEV GLEASON

ALONZO APPLESEED (pen/ink/) in SILVER STREAK COMICS #21 © 1942 Lev Gleason 0134_1WarrenAlonzo.jpg > 42

ALONZO APPLESEED (wr/pen/ink/) 1942 > 42

GUNNER AND GUPEY (wr/pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

HELPFUL HANK (wr/pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

INDIAN LORE (wr/pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

MAGAZINE ENTERPRISES

MONTE ZUMA (pen/ink/) c1943 > 43

Non-fiction (pen/ink/) c1943 > 43

TRIP O'LEE (pen/ink/) c1943 > 43

U.S. MARINES~ (pen/ink/) c1943 > 43

MARVEL COMICS

Cartoon / funny animals (pen/ink/) 1942-43 > 42 43

SPOTLIGHT COMICS

Cartoon / funny animals (pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

HOOCH AND POOCH (pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

TWINKLE~ (pen/) 1945 > 45

NOVELTY COMICS

CALLING 2-R (wr/pen/ink/) 1940 > 40

CALLING Z-12 (pen/ink/) in TARGET COMICS #8 © 1941 Novelty 0134WarrenAlonzo.jpg > 41

Covers (pen/ink/) 1943 > 43

JERKWATER LINE (pen/ink/) 1946/48 > 46 48

KRISKO AND JASPER (wr/pen/ink/) 1942-47 > 42 43 44 45 46 47

PONY TRACKS (wr/pen/ink/) 1940- > 40

RANGE RIDERS (wr/pen/ink/) 1941 > 41

SPECK, SPOT AND SIS (wr/pen/ink/) 1942-48 > 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

PARENTS' MAGAZINE PRESS

TRUE COMICS~ (pen/ink/) 1941 > 41

RURAL HOME

GRANPAPPY (wr/pen/ink/) 1944-45 > 44 45

YOUTHFUL MAGAZINES

Various features (wr/pen/ink/) 1952 > 52

Thanks for the artist info, BB-gun (thumbs u

In Detective # 42, Batman is on the prowl trying to catch a killer who presages his murders by mutilating the victim's portrait. Here Batman tries to go up to the penthouse of a soon-to-be victim trying to prevent the crime and he uses (for the first time I believe) suction cups to go up the facade of the building.

Now, as mentioned in the caption, human flies were "common" earlier in the century and certainly it is part of the inspiration but The Shadow had been using the gimmick quite often before Batman did ... inspiration? Maybe.

Here's an excerpt from The Black Falcon, from The Shadow Magazine, February 1st 1934, the issue I am currently reading: (Note: my italics)

"A batlike shape was clinging to a wall which projected at an angle from the set-in fire tower. Invisible in the darkness, this hidden creature seemed other than a human form. Above a shrouded head was a darkened, open window of Rowland Ransdale's apartment.

Something squdged upon the wall. The mobster who had turned back to his fellows paused to listen. The sound was so elusive that he gave it no second thought. He did not hear another similar noised that followed.

The batlike shape was moving away from the fire tower. Past the angle, it crept with sidewise crablike motion along the extended wall. The glow of city lights revealed the figure dimly. Like a huge vampire, The Shadow was sidling across a vertical surface!

Hands and feet were pressing against the wall. Each was equipped with a large concave disk of rubber. Each pressure of a suction cup gave its wearer purchase upon the wall. Each twist released one of the supports.

The Shadow had become a human fly. So familiar was he with this method of progress that his motions were timed to perfect precision. [..]"

76695.jpg

Yet it's such a bizarre idea, contrary to everyone's common experience. Except for glazed brick, which is rarely if ever used on skyscrapers, who's ever seen a suction cup stick to a brick building?

But people fly and run at the speed of light. Why should I let a suction cup get in the way of my suspension of disbelief?

The author gets extra points for "Something squdged" though.

Jack

Let me :bump: this one set of posts because ...

it's Human Fly Month at the Scrooge's household.

Here's from Wade Hammond's Skyscraper Horror story by Paul Chadwick from Ten Detective Aces, March 1933 I was finishing this morning:

After a body falls to the ground off the Empire Towers Building ;)

"And what are those things on his wrists?"

"Magnets," said Wade. "He's got them strapped to his knees, too. That thing on his back is a small-size transformer, stepping up the current Lord knows how many volts. He's the greatest human fly you'll ever see, chief. He's a man who saw the possibilities in a building faced with chromium steel, and who equipped himself to move up and down it and around it as easily as you and I walk on the pavement. He's a man who planned the deaths of his uncles weeks or months in advance."

"[..] I ordered the power switch thrown. Bassett here depended on a wire attached to the light circuit to operate his electro-magnets.

"The four metal plates at his wrists and knees must have had a make-and-break contact system so that when the top ones were gripping the lower ones were free. He could draw himself up like an inch worm. But with the current off his grip was gone and he fell."

Scrooge's Note: And to finish the story ...

"I had to do it, chief, to save the life of an innocent girl. He would have gone to the chair anyway. I finished him by having the current turned off instead of on. Just a mere technicality." lol

So, Jack, more believable this time?

I've known for a while that Harry A. Chesler had given some papers to Fairleigh Dickinson University. Now, reading over some information online, I have found this description:

"Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Fairleigh Dickinson University's library holds 4,000 pieces of original comics art, with 1,245 volumes of supporting matrial, and some comic books. The late Harry "A" Chesler donated a large portion of the art collection, and for several years worked on the collection at the library a couple of days each week, guiding visitors and answering questions. Chesler ran one of the art studios that created comic book stories on contract for various publishers during the Golden Age of comic books. An exhibition catalog is available for $5.50, and a list of the artists represented in the original art collection is available free. An old but still useful list of the supporting books is available from Comic Art Collection, MSU Libraries, East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1048, or on ERIC fiche ED 207 572.

The status of some of the information above is in question because this COLLECTION WAS DISCONTINUED AND GIVEN TO THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS in 2001. (5/02)

CONTACT: Curator, Prints & Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. 20540-4731."

My question is the following:

Does the LoC still own that OA or has it been dispersed through the collecting world? Jon B., do you know the answer to that question?

I've known for a while that Harry A. Chesler had given some papers to Fairleigh Dickinson University. Now, reading over some information online, I have found this description:

"Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Fairleigh Dickinson University's library holds 4,000 pieces of original comics art, with 1,245 volumes of supporting matrial, and some comic books. The late Harry "A" Chesler donated a large portion of the art collection, and for several years worked on the collection at the library a couple of days each week, guiding visitors and answering questions. Chesler ran one of the art studios that created comic book stories on contract for various publishers during the Golden Age of comic books. An exhibition catalog is available for $5.50, and a list of the artists represented in the original art collection is available free. An old but still useful list of the supporting books is available from Comic Art Collection, MSU Libraries, East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1048, or on ERIC fiche ED 207 572.

The status of some of the information above is in question because this COLLECTION WAS DISCONTINUED AND GIVEN TO THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS in 2001. (5/02)

CONTACT: Curator, Prints & Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. 20540-4731."

My question is the following:

Does the LoC still own that OA or has it been dispersed through the collecting world?

I have a friend who works in the Prints & Photographs Division.

I'll ask him about the artwork.

Yet it's such a bizarre idea, contrary to everyone's common experience. Except for glazed brick, which is rarely if ever used on skyscrapers, who's ever seen a suction cup stick to a brick building?

But people fly and run at the speed of light. Why should I let a suction cup get in the way of my suspension of disbelief?

The author gets extra points for "Something squdged" though.

Jack

Let me :bump: this one set of posts because ...

it's Human Fly Month at the Scrooge's household.

Here's from Wade Hammond's Skyscraper Horror story by Paul Chadwick from Ten Detective Aces, March 1933 I was finishing this morning:

After a body falls to the ground off the Empire Towers Building ;)

"And what are those things on his wrists?"

"Magnets," said Wade. "He's got them strapped to his knees, too. That thing on his back is a small-size transformer, stepping up the current Lord knows how many volts. He's the greatest human fly you'll ever see, chief. He's a man who saw the possibilities in a building faced with chromium steel, and who equipped himself to move up and down it and around it as easily as you and I walk on the pavement. He's a man who planned the deaths of his uncles weeks or months in advance."

"[..] I ordered the power switch thrown. Bassett here depended on a wire attached to the light circuit to operate his electro-magnets.

"The four metal plates at his wrists and knees must have had a make-and-break contact system so that when the top ones were gripping the lower ones were free. He could draw himself up like an inch worm. But with the current off his grip was gone and he fell."

Scrooge's Note: And to finish the story ...

"I had to do it, chief, to save the life of an innocent girl. He would have gone to the chair anyway. I finished him by having the current turned off instead of on. Just a mere technicality." lol

So, Jack, more believable this time?

Hey, I'm convinced. Magnets stick to steel better than suction cups stick to brick or stone. And who wouldn't climb a building with an enormous transformer on his back and a lo-o-ong extension cord?

Jack

Capt. Wall could probably handle that crocodile, Scrooge. lol

friedlander.jpg

We have this 1913 Adolph Friedlander poster (approximately 38 x 28") hanging in our living room.

Ubersetzen: Captain Walls struggle with crocodiles underwater. I guess that would be tougher than the struggle on land but not the job I would want either way. Pretty nice poster and good art in that Fiction House comic. Was it by Zolnerowich?

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Pretty nice poster and good art in that Fiction House comic. Was it by Zolnerowich?

bb

The page is from an issue of Champion Comics, so a Harvey (?). No idea whose art it is either.

Oops, I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Probably not something that any croc can do ... but looks impressive on the page. lol

From Champion 17 (scans courtesy of GoldenAgeUK) -

I guess that was supposed to be Champ 17. Jungleman art was credited to Stan Zuckerberg. HIs connection to Harvey is not listed in the Who's Who.

Comics Studio (Shop)

IGER STUDIO (pen/ink/) 1940-41 > 40 41

FICTION HOUSE COMICS

FANTOMAH (pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

ROY LANCE (pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

SHEENA (pen/ink/) c1940-c41 > 40 41

GILBERTON

ROBINSON CRUSOE (pen/ink/) 1943 > 43

ROBINSON CRUSOE (pen/ink/) in CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED © 1943 Gilberton 0242ZuckerbergSM.jpg > 43

TALE OF TWO CITIES (pen/ink/) 1942

I guess that was supposed to be Champ 17. Jungleman art was credited to Stan Zuckerberg. HIs connection to Harvey is not listed in the Who's Who.

Comics Studio (Shop)

IGER STUDIO (pen/ink/) 1940-41 > 40 41

FICTION HOUSE COMICS

FANTOMAH (pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

ROY LANCE (pen/ink/) early-1940s > 40 41 42 43

SHEENA (pen/ink/) c1940-c41 > 40 41

GILBERTON

ROBINSON CRUSOE (pen/ink/) 1943 > 43

ROBINSON CRUSOE (pen/ink/) in CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED © 1943 Gilberton 0242ZuckerbergSM.jpg > 43

TALE OF TWO CITIES (pen/ink/) 1942

When I was in the first grade I bought a 2nd hand copy of the Robinson Crusoe comic at a school book sale. It was one of my favorite comics. I must have read it 20 times over the next couple of years

Probably not something that any croc can do ... but looks impressive on the page. lol

From Champion 17 (scans courtesy of GoldenAgeUK) -

Thanks for looking it up. Yeah, I meant Champ. doh! Is Champ a continuation of Champion or am I off?

If you've downloaded the issue, I liked the Neptuna feature. In fact, I've liked all Neptuna features I've seen from that title. (thumbs u

For example, I simply :cloud9: this panel. It has a lyrical quality that puts it in a different zip code compared to the rest of the art in that particular issue. Not only could Bill Everett evoke the undersea with his work but so did this artist.

78061.jpg.e54e138042d2d3c02847a19bb5f64f36.jpg