• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

On this cover he also used his "Member of Doc Savage Club" rubber stamp.

docsavage194008.jpg

You might as well 'fess up and show us your "Member of Doc Savage Club" rubber stamp, BZ. We know you have it!

Jack

On this cover he also used his "Member of Doc Savage Club" rubber stamp.

docsavage194008.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, he read them overnight when he could lol

I love that Member of Doc Savage Club stamp :luhv:

Did you ever notice that it was a novelty item advertised in the Doc Savage pulps or if that's something the owner / reader had custom-made? If the latter, that's dedication and I like it :grin:

I bought several Shadow pulps from Fuelman a couple of years ago from a collection he purchased where the owner also annotated when he had read or received the pulp. Here are two typical examples:

77902.jpg.60ee03ad375073598577e0c399a80da4.jpg

77903.jpg.9187dba44a8b165160cb373a58e01ef8.jpg

I love that Member of Doc Savage Club stamp :luhv:

Did you ever notice that it was a novelty item advertised in the Doc Savage pulps or if that's something the owner / reader had custom-made? If the latter, that's dedication and I like it :grin:

The rubber stamp was available for purchase to club members for the price of 10¢.

I'll see if I can photograph one of the advertisements for the club sometime within the next few days.

I love the Shadows you posted. They both have incredible covers. :applause:

I'm a big fan of items with the 1939 World's Fair too. I've never seen that cover before. :applause:

Through the years I've noticed quite a few magazines from 1939/40 with the New York World's Fair Trylon and Perisphere pictured on their covers.

I've thought about collecting some of them but never got started on it.

Somebody mentioned that Rangers is one of the less desirable Fiction House titles.

I kind of wonder how that could be true since it has Dr. Drew. It is like getting Detective 31 in every issue.

While at the Jewish museum and looking at a Schomburg painting, someone mentioned to me that he liked Jerry Grandenetti better than the other artists at the exhibit.

I don't know if I would go that far but I regret selling any of those Ranger comics with his art.

BZ, Do you have any originals that you could share?

Actually, I do have a Dr. Drew story by Grandenetti.

I'll see if I can put my hands on it without having to move many boxes. hm

BZ, Do you have any originals that you could share?

Actually, I do have a Dr. Drew story by Grandenetti.

:o(worship) (worship)

I always forget how many nooks and crannies there are in the Bangzoom cave :cool:

Wow! Early hoarders, Bangzoom!!

Have you ever moved to a new house just so that you could house your collection? That would be some proof that it might be out of control.

I have heard of some pulp collectors who have done so. In order to be keep up with their collection, they've moved into a large house. Not something I would do ... but to go and visit that house, wow, that would be a trip :headbang:

I always forget how many nooks and crannies there are in the Bangzoom cave :cool:

lol Sometimes I imagine my own demise: Link

My Mom and Dad would make disparaging comments about my brother and my collections as kids, referring to us both as the Collyer Brothers. That was 20-25 years after the case, so that story had some legs!

I actually have a smaller hoard then my brother who has an entire basement back east filled with train timetables, ephemera, signs, models, you name it. Want to feel good about being a comic collector? Go see a train guy!!

Interesting story in that link. There have been quite a few hoarders (aka eccentrics or collectors) that made the news or were fictionalized. Some of them were written about long ago in novels like "Silas Marner". There are good stories about book collectors and hermits that were made into movies like "Ninth Gate" or a "Simple Twist of Fate". These movies were by Roman Polanski and Steve Martin who are both pretty eccentric in their own right.

The lives of some eccentrics were made into musicals like "Grey Gardens".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens_(musical)

I am waiting for "Mile High, the Musical"

Van Gogh was an eccentric that never achieved success as a painter but today his paintings are worth millions of dollars. Art Pinajian who lived on Long Island was pretty eccentric according to the articles that I have read. Any more artists?

At one time I thought about consolidating my collection and putting the remaining books into a safety deposit box. But then I wouldn't be able to see all of the junk when I want to. The most overwhelming collection I ever saw was owned by Ernest Toth. You could barely move in his house. I wonder what happened to all of his stuff not to mention Ernest? He collected a lot of pulps and magazines. Occasionally he sold comics when he discovered them in the pile.

Interesting story in that link. There have been quite a few hoarders (aka eccentrics or collectors) that made the news or were fictionalized. Some of them were written about long ago in novels like "Silas Marner". There are good stories about book collectors and hermits that were made into movies like "Ninth Gate" or a "Simple Twist of Fate". These movies were by Roman Polanski and Steve Martin who are both pretty eccentric in their own right.

The lives of some eccentrics were made into musicals like "Grey Gardens".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens_(musical)

I am waiting for "Mile High, the Musical"

Van Gogh was an eccentric that never achieved success as a painter but today his paintings are worth millions of dollars. Art Pinajian who lived on Long Island was pretty eccentric according to the articles that I have read. Any more artists?

At one time I thought about consolidating my collection and putting the remaining books into a safety deposit box. But then I wouldn't be able to see all of the junk when I want to. The most overwhelming collection I ever saw was owned by Ernest Toth. You could barely move in his house. I wonder what happened to all of his stuff not to mention Ernest? He collected a lot of pulps and magazines. Occasionally he sold comics when he discovered them in the pile.

There was/is a guy in New Orleans like that. When you would visit his house there was a narrow path you could walk between the rooms. The rest was covered in collectibles. In fact, one half of his bed was also covered. He slept next to his stuff! Even in the bathroom, where the towels would normally be, when you opened the cabinet the shelves were packed to the rim with tin toys and depression glass. It was like a super crowded museum at his place.

I actually have a smaller hoard then my brother who has an entire basement back east filled with train timetables, ephemera, signs, models, you name it. Want to feel good about being a comic collector? Go see a train guy!!

I've been to the homes of a few train enthusiasts who have their entire basements devoted to their HO scale model railroad layouts. They've spent decades recreating their childhood hometowns or a region of the country that interests them. Very impressive.

The most overwhelming collection I ever saw was owned by Ernest Toth. You could barely move in his house. I wonder what happened to all of his stuff not to mention Ernest? He collected a lot of pulps and magazines. Occasionally he sold comics when he discovered them in the pile.

Ernest died a few years ago. There's a memorial page on the Internet where friends, including Jim Steranko, have written fondly of him. Link

There was/is a guy in New Orleans like that. When you would visit his house there was a narrow path you could walk between the rooms. The rest was covered in collectibles. In fact, one half of his bed was also covered. He slept next to his stuff! Even in the bathroom, where the towels would normally be, when you opened the cabinet the shelves were packed to the rim with tin toys and depression glass. It was like a super crowded museum at his place.

Over the years I've visited quite a few collectors whose homes were similar.

I noticed this scan was posted at GA.UK. Those early Target issues were terrific. Do you have most of them BZ? Is the cover by Simon or Simon and Kirby?

3448009663_856af8fdc8_b.jpg

I think that cover looks like the work of Joe Simon. hm

I have a few Target Comics. I wish I had more.

One of my favorite features in the early issues is Calling 2-R.

Scrooge posted a couple of pages last year.

51956-Calling-2-R-Splash.jpg

51955-Calling2-R-TargetComics.jpg

I noticed this scan was posted at GA.UK. Those early Target issues were terrific. Do you have most of them BZ? Is the cover by Simon or Simon and Kirby?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a sampling of some from this title. jon......

77961.jpg.daf314a5d91067f98a9723fb93236373.jpg

77962.jpg.28f36592cb93d390c2dc6d70d4c18837.jpg

77963.jpg.f5ffffafe05533a410467979c851b562.jpg

77964.jpg.74a68341bc0726e5a01fad41e7d9d698.jpg

77965.jpg.6a84f5338a3b0c1f74c5f15bd03e4872.jpg

One of my favorite features in the early issues is Calling 2-R.

Scrooge posted a couple of pages last year.

51956-Calling-2-R-Splash.jpg

51955-Calling2-R-TargetComics.jpg

Those are terrific pages, not sure how I missed or forgot about them.

Who's the artist?

The most overwhelming collection I ever saw was owned by Ernest Toth. You could barely move in his house. I wonder what happened to all of his stuff not to mention Ernest? He collected a lot of pulps and magazines. Occasionally he sold comics when he discovered them in the pile.

Ernest died a few years ago. There's a memorial page on the Internet where friends, including Jim Steranko, have written fondly of him. Link

BZ,

Thanks for the information about Ernest. His friends wrote some very nice tributes to him. I didn't know him very well but I did note one thing that was true. When I visited Ernie, he was very enthusiastic about his pulps. He had a nice collection of Detective story pulps, Weird Tales and covers. I purchased some Marvel Mystery comics and an All Winners comics from him but I liked some of the pulps too. When he found out that it was my birthday, he gave me one of the pulps for free. Nice guy!

bb

Edited by BB-Gun