• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I have been trying to buy more MLJ books and early Quality but not too successful. However, I found a few more laboratory scans to throw in the mix. Love those mad scientists but most of the crazy ones I knew were trying to get out of the lab and take credit for other peoples work. :blahblah:

3769662177_8578cd1ec0_b.jpg

Something useful invented by a hard working chemist. It seemed like a good idea at the time. My life was about the same.

I did buy a beat up Hangman 2 but it is missing this splash page. The Swastika guy has a nice hat but how can he see?

3770461566_162d54f293_b.jpg

Is the top page by Briefer?

That Hangman splash page is terrific!

Edited by *paull*

I have been trying to buy more MLJ books and early Quality but not too successful. However, I found a few more laboratory scans to throw in the mix. Love those mad scientists but most of the crazy ones I knew were trying to get out of the lab and take credit for other peoples work. :blahblah:

3769662177_8578cd1ec0_b.jpg

Something useful invented by a hard working chemist. It seemed like a good idea at the time. My life was about the same.

Is the top page by Briefer?

That Hangman splash page is terrific!

I don't think the cartoon is by Briefer and I don't remember any work that he did for Quality. It could be by Cole. He did a lot of one page filler strips and he worked for Quality. (The Whose Who also lists the feature by Cole) The turned up nose is a Frankenstein feature though... hm

Edited by BB-Gun

And this early Caniff cartoon was cute.

3769722441_8c77e4967c_o.jpg

These scans and those above, were all from GA.UK.

I usually took the money from Mom and purchased comics books. One dollar purchased 8 comics.

I don't think the cartoon is by Briefer and I don't remember any work that he did for Quality. It could be by Cole. He did a lot of one page filler strips and he worked for Quality. (The Whose Who also lists the feature by Cole) The turned up nose is a Frankenstein feature though... hm

Right... the turned-up nose made me think it could be Briefer, but Cole also makes sense. It was obviously done by a talented cartoonist, and there were none greater than Cole.

3775043277_0cfac5d3bf_b.jpg

This early strip by Crane was from 1943 but by 1944 the strip was signed by Turner.

I don't see much of a change. Does that mean Turner was ghosting the strip in 1943?

It is raining in NY and this seems like an appropriate strip for the day.

The original was on pink paper and glued into a scrap book.

I thought it would be more manly in black and white.

The Jumbo comics were printed on similar paper.

Did Stars and Strips publish a weekly comic or is this from the Reading Union papers?

I am continuing to plow through my set of Vintage Funnies and I am forced to look at this horrible art on Tailspin Tommy. 83038.jpg

I like all the fussy details Hal Forrest put in his backgrounds.

Maurice Horn and the other critics of Forrest's artwork must have been holding him to a higher standard than they did the other cartoonists of that era. (shrug)

I have been trying to buy more MLJ books and early Quality but not too successful. However, I found a few more laboratory scans to throw in the mix. Love those mad scientists but most of the crazy ones I knew were trying to get out of the lab and take credit for other peoples work.

The first Superman cartoon produced by the Fleischer Studio in 1941 featured a mad scientist.

populardetectiveNov1934.jpg

thebat1.jpg

Very interesting and a very cool cover.

what I love about this cover is how primitive the skeleton face is, yet how polished the woman's face is. Weird, but alluring.

Also in that issue is a story by L. Ron Hubbard.

I love the illustration for it.

hubbard1c.jpg

This is a nice book published by Dean in England. It is similar to the BLB Big Big books published by Whitman

3760504406_0bea61ddab_o.jpg

Nice looking book. :applause:

Is it a British counterpart to a book released here in the states?

The Mickey BB BLB published by Dean seems to have US material but some of the jokes and poems have been changed to be more British. I don't have the other BLB BB books and can't compare. I do have a couple of months worth of Mickey Mouse Daily strips from 1943 that have the pirate story with Peg Leg Pete. I don'tknow if this is the same as the Big Big Book. Does anyone have a copy?

bb

I noticed the similarity of Joe Simon's Weird Comics cover to the Strange Stories some time ago.

The other day I was looking at some other pulps in my collection and I spotted a couple of additional pulp covers that Simon may have used as sources for his illustration.

weirdcomics2.jpgpopulardetective193808c.jpgstrangestories193904b.jpgthrillingmystery193909b.jpg Weird Comics (May 1940); Popular Detective (August 1938); Strange Stories (April 1939);Thrilling Mystery (September 1939)

I noticed the similarity of Joe Simon's Weird Comics cover to the Strange Stories some time ago.

The other day I was looking at some other pulps in my collection and I spotted a couple of additional pulp covers that Simon may have used as sources for his illustration.

What do you think?

weirdcomics2.jpgpopulardetective193808c.jpgstrangestories193904b.jpgthrillingmystery193909b.jpg Weird Comics (May 1940); Popular Detective (August 1938); Strange Stories (April 1939);Thrilling Mystery (September 1939)

Very cool detective work. :applause:

Superman stories early on are so much more dramatic since he was not yet as super as he was going to become. People still could die and the stories are definitely a notch better for it -

The very first Golden Age comic I ever owned was Superman #9 which I obtained in a trade with a friend of mine in 1962 or 1963. I remember being shocked at the level of violence in the stories.

Here's a sample.

supe1.jpg

What do you think?

Very cool detective work. :applause:

I just noticed this. Very cool indeed!

So if you're keeping score at home... at this point, we've found swipe sources for the covers to Weird #2, Weird #4, Science #6, and Science #4 (which has the skeleton creature from Wonderworld #7). I think it's only a matter of time before sources for Fantastic #8 turn up as well.