• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

My Tailspin Tommy books are hidden in the archives and I need to rediscover them, but the Tim Tyler Saalfield book was lying on top of the pile. I like Lyman Young's work. I guess he occasionally had other newbies work on the strip, like Alex Raymond.

Here are a couple of Saalfield covers in the long format and a page from TT.

3700945395_9083101765_b.jpg

3700945813_8ffe25d442_b.jpg

Someone was nice enough to scan Jungle 98 and I saw this "Seduction of the Innocent" panel in context for the first time.

Illustration was by Whitman who is a fan favorite.

I am not sure why they focused on the imaginary buttocks on Tabu's shoulder and completely ignored the nearly nude Camilla.

Psychiatrists, who can figure them out?

I like Whitman's splash of belle Zazenda.

3701873920_4844b01162_b.jpg

3701077311_06a0182664_b.jpg

3701885416_2a84ffd044_b.jpg

I imagine Baker and Whitman and a few other members of the staff enjoyed using Dr. Wertham

as the villian in this Camilla story from Jungle 104.

Fortunately the editor probably saved them from a lawsuit by removing the blood and torn flesh from the end of the story.

I added the color back to the final panels.

3701972740_118dbdf9b2_b.jpg

Scans from GA.UK

In The World Encyclopedia of Comics, Maurice Horn described Forrest's artwork as being awful. :P

I like it. (shrug)

Glad I am not the lone loony out there. I know I have a rep to give props to most artists but Horn's a little harsh. Here's a non-adventure half-Sunday of the strip and I've seen far worse by a long shot :o

Man, I really like his work. I wasn't familiar with it until now.

Looking on Wikipedia, it says that Tailspin Tommy began in 1928. So why doesn't it get credit as the first adventure strip since its debut predates Tarzan and Buck Rogers? :shrug:

Probably b/c whoever decides those things didn't like Forrest's art :insane:

Joking aside, it's probably because Tailspin is thought of as an aviation strip (same as SkyRoads and others) that got its start one year almost to the day after Lindbergh crossed to Paris. When it started Tailspin was focusing on relating the daily experience of commercial aviation: transporting freight, ... (think Bright Eyes or even Steve Canyon for that matter) instead of being pure adventure, it isn't until the '30's that the strip took its turn to adventure.*

* - info based on Horn's description of the series content.

That makes sense. Of course what we think of as typical aviation-related stuff was more of an adventure in 1927 or 28.

I was wondering if Calkins art was also considered less than adequate by comic reviewers?

And is this the Buck Rogers Star Map that was given away as a radio premium?

2679776558_0b93772370_b.jpg

I was wondering if Calkins art was also considered less than adequate by comic reviewers?

That's the thing that has had me going ??? about the comments on Forrest while Calkins gets a free pass art-wise? (shrug)

Granted, I recently saw some later Calkins Sundays with Buddy and Allura and comparing them with earlier pages when Buddy first meets Allura, it's like night and day. Wonder if it was a natural evolution of Calkins or if it's simply the heavy use of ghosts. I don't know enough about the strip to be sure.

That's the thing that has had me going ??? about the comments on Forrest while Calkins gets a free pass art-wise? (shrug)

Granted, I recently saw some later Calkins Sundays with Buddy and Allura and comparing them with earlier pages when Buddy first meets Allura, it's like night and day. Wonder if it was a natural evolution of Calkins or if it's simply the heavy use of ghosts. I don't know enough about the strip to be sure.

I think everyone falls short when compared to Alex Raymond but the difference in style seems to enhance some of the stories, e.g., Calkin's bizarre ray guns and space ships, Crane's shadows and depth, Foster's detail.

BB, I was looking through a box of my old fanzines the other day and found a copy of Star-Studded Comics #1 (September 1963).

starstudded1.jpg

3572164040_1b71f7fc9f.jpg

Another Texas Trio publication added to my collection. Cover by Buddy Saunders

2731988931_c734e7a80d.jpg

2732818832_55c1f46980.jpg

2700034484_61d47ea025.jpg

Thanks BZ. I like all of those old fanzines. I forgot to post this one I think.

3701694797_3cf1a96081.jpg

I think everyone falls short when compared to Alex Raymond but the difference in style seems to enhance some of the stories, e.g., Calkin's bizarre ray guns and space ships, Crane's shadows and depth, Foster's detail.

Sure Raymond was not to be touched but Pfeuffer (sp?) sure tried his darnedest on Don Dixon (I'll scan some later).

On the Calkins's improvement issue, I think I had a doh! moment. I noticed in my Collected Buck Rogers that Yager kept the Calkins signature on the strip so that my "improved" Calkins is simply Yager who has a more eye-pleasing style IMO.

:whistle:

The Sundays were mostly either Keeton or Yager from what I understand.

From the examples posted here, Forrest is clearly a better artist than Calkins. You guys know I love Buck Rogers, and I think Calkins' primitive style and awkward anatomy is charming and fun, but let's face it, there are 12-year-olds that can draw better than he can. :eek:

I've got a straight run of Star-Studded Comics, except the last two issues. Great fanzine. :cloud9:

The back cover to issue #6 (February 1965) gave me my first look at some comic fans whose names I recognized from their being associated with various activities within the hobby.

I wonder if any of them are still around?

comicfans.jpg

I enjoyed seeing pictures of all of those comic fans.

I met Jerry and Roy but only talked on the phone with Howard Keltner.

I also saw Grass at a Wizard show in Philadelphia.

He was drawing, chatting and signing autographs for a small group of fans.

I wish I had something with me at the time.

He seemed like a good guy.

I really liked his cartoons. He was very funny and creative.

bb

2731988931_c734e7a80d_b.jpg