• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

T

And sometimes the old reliable poisonous snake was used.

2370773039_730271e2f7_b.jpg

thrillingmystery193909.jpg

Sometimes they used more than one snake. Loved the "Snakes on a Plane" movie by the way.

I knew a herpetologist who worked at the Houston zoo in the eighties. He used to keep hundreds of snakes at his home. They were his babies.

bb

I liked this Stan Lee story about science or was it magic? Dr. Sinn? I think I worked for him or was it a her?

3746161457_351c97d234_o.jpg

3746161611_5a705fa6d4_b.jpg

Harley was a chemist and he was one of the good guys.

3746951694_7dfa706538_o.jpg

And who knows where Uno will turn up? And what is that Nazi thing that he is playing with? Now that's entertainment.

I liked this Stan Lee story about science or was it magic? Dr. Sinn? I think I worked for him or was it a her?

BB, thanks for the latest batch of scans. :applause:

You're always posting pages that I find so intriguing I'm forced to run over to the goldenagecomics.uk website or search out issues in my collection to satisfy my curiosity about the rest of the story. (thumbs u

I know we've discussed pulp fiction's two Black Bat characters (the first published in Black Bat Detective Mysteries 1933-34 and the second in Black Book Detective 1939-53), but I can't recall if The Bat series that ran in Popular Detective (1934-35) has ever been mentioned.

This crime fighting hero was introduced in the first issue of Popular Detective (November 1934) and he made follow-up appearances in the next three issues.

populardetectiveNov1934.jpg

thebat1.jpg

thebat2.jpg

Some excerpts from the text:

...he must become a figure of sinister import to all of these people. A strange Nemesis that would eventually become a legendary terror to all of crimedom.

He was still thinking. Just what the character would be that he intended to assume was still vague in his mind. He only knew that it would have to be some nubilous [sic]creature of the night that lurked in the shadows. He glanced at the oil lamp burning on a table. Then he swung around, suddenly tense. In the shadows above his head there came a slithering, flapping sort of sound.

Clade leaped back instinctively as something brushed past his cheek. Again the flapping of wings—a weird rustling sound. Terror overcame him for an instant as something brushed against his hair, caught in a tangled lock. Something that seemed unspeakably evil.

thebat3.jpg

He reached up, tore at it with fingers that had suddenly grown frantic. He flung the thing aside. As he did so he saw that it was a bat. An insectivorous mammal, with its wings formed by a membrane stretched between the tiny elongated fingers, legs and tail.

As the creature hovered above the lamp for an instant it cast a huge shadow upon the cabin wall. "That's it!" exclaimed Clade aloud. "I'll call myself "The Bat."

The whole plan was growing clearer as his brain worked busily. Disguised as a human bat, he would take up the trail. Working always by night, and remaining in hiding during the day.

It would be the Bat, strange creature of the night, who would bring fear into the heart of the lawless.

thebat4.jpg

:gossip: I like the bat insignia on his hood.

BB, thanks for the latest batch of scans. :applause:

You're always posting pages that I find so intriguing I'm forced to run over to the goldenagecomics.uk website or to search out issues in my collection to satisfy my curiosity about the rest of the story. (thumbs u

I think the Firefly story was from Top Notch 11, which I recently purchased, but I used the GA.UK scan. I would have to go back and locate the other two. It is more difficult to find good scans of Timely issues but I have a coverless copy of Cap 13 which has the Dr. Sinn story. I often get lost in the stories and forget what came from where. Lately they have posted a lot of Ace books on GA.UK which are worth looking at. I saw one issue with Palais stories and Fuje art (Super Mystery v4 n5?). It looked great.

bb

I think the Firefly story was from Top Notch 11, which I recently purchased, but I used the GA.UK scan. I would have to go back and locate the other two. It is more difficult to find good scans of Timely issues but I have a coverless copy of Cap 13 which has the Dr. Sinn story. I often get lost in the stories and forget what came from where.

The Uno story is from Super-Mystery v7#1.

BBG and BZ:

Thanks for all the great "modern chemistry" scans lately and for the issue IDs.

Fun stuff.

Jack

I think the Firefly story was from Top Notch 11, which I recently purchased, but I used the GA.UK scan. I would have to go back and locate the other two. It is more difficult to find good scans of Timely issues but I have a coverless copy of Cap 13 which has the Dr. Sinn story. I often get lost in the stories and forget what came from where.

The Uno story is from Super-Mystery v7#1.

thebat2.jpg

Some excerpts from the text:

...he must become a figure of sinister import to all of these people. A strange Nemesis that would eventually become a legendary terror to all of crimedom.

He was still thinking. Just what the character would be that he intended to assume was still vague in his mind. He only knew that it would have to be some nubilous [sic]creature of the night that lurked in the shadows. He glanced at the oil lamp burning on a table. Then he swung around, suddenly tense. In the shadows above his head there came a slithering, flapping sort of sound.

Clade leaped back instinctively as something brushed past his cheek. Again the flapping of wings—a weird rustling sound. Terror overcame him for an instant as something brushed against his hair, caught in a tangled lock. Something that seemed unspeakably evil.

thebat3.jpg

He reached up, tore at it with fingers that had suddenly grown frantic. He flung the thing aside. As he did so he saw that it was a bat. An insectivorous mammal, with its wings formed by a membrane stretched between the tiny elongated fingers, legs and tail.

As the creature hovered above the lamp for an instant it cast a huge shadow upon the cabin wall. "That's it!" exclaimed Clade aloud. "I'll call myself "The Bat."

The whole plan was growing clearer as his brain worked busily. Disguised as a human bat, he would take up the trail. Working always by night, and remaining in hiding during the day.

It would be the Bat, strange creature of the night, who would bring fear into the heart of the lawless.

thebat4.jpg

:gossip: I like the bat insignia on his hood.

First thing I did was check that - it is a word I had never heard before, but will now astonish (or annoy) those about me. From yourdictionary.com:

nubilous definition

nu·bi·lous (no̵̅o̅′bə ləs, nyo̵̅o̅′-)

adjective

1. cloudy; misty

2. not clear

Etymology: LL nubilosus, cloudy, for L nubilus < nubes, a cloud: see nuance

Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.

Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

There are way too many similarities for Kane not to have used this story, at least in part.

I think Uno was a character in Super Mystery. Art by Ken Battlefield who I always thought was Wally Wood. I guess they worked for the same company at one time.

3746951694_7dfa706538_o.jpg

And who knows where Uno will turn up? And what is that Nazi thing that he is playing with? Now that's entertainment.

First thing I did was check that - it is a word I had never heard before, but will now astonish (or annoy) those about me. From yourdictionary.com:

nubilous definition

nu·bi·lous (no̵̅o̅′bə ləs, nyo̵̅o̅′-)

adjective

1. cloudy; misty

2. not clear

Etymology: LL nubilosus, cloudy, for L nubilus < nubes, a cloud: see nuance

Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2005 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.

Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Thanks for the info. :applause:

I wasn't familiar with the word either, so I looked it up in the dictionary that was installed with my browser. It came up blank but did offer the word nebulous as a possibility. (shrug)

Maybe I need to upgrade dictionaries. hm

I am continuing to plow through my set of Vintage Funnies and I am forced to look at this horrible art on Tailspin Tommy. Yes, the curlycues are over the top (a far cry from Toth's Bravo for Adventure strip I read last night) but it has its charm. The story is moving along fine too.

83038.jpg.225f8ee928e54bb3ef1f7522055b8735.jpg

This is a nice book published by Dean in England. It is similar to the BLB Big Big books published by Whitman

but I always get a little sad when I see it was signed and dated 1939, just before the German Blitz and bombing of England.

Are these more rare than the American books?

3760504406_0bea61ddab_o.jpg

I have an English Hulk annual too, which has early Hulk, Spiderman and FF stories.

I have been trying to buy more MLJ books and early Quality but not too successful. However, I found a few more laboratory scans to throw in the mix. Love those mad scientists but most of the crazy ones I knew were trying to get out of the lab and take credit for other peoples work. :blahblah:

3770455858_538b9fd9f9_b.jpg

Making a monster in Monster.

3770462248_4ce19db4a1_o.jpg

Cooper knew how to draw crazy. Good thing we had Mr. Justice to fix all of those evil scientists.

3769662177_8578cd1ec0_b.jpg

Something useful invented by a hard working chemist. It seemed like a good idea at the time. My life was about the same.

I did buy a beat up Hangman 2 but it is missing this splash page. The Swastika guy has a nice hat but how can he see?

3770461566_162d54f293_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Speaking of Hangman, someone recently posted these early strips by his original artist, George Storm.

3770455342_bf63ffd9cf_o.jpg

And this early Caniff cartoon was cute.

3769722441_8c77e4967c_o.jpg

These scans and those above, were all from GA.UK.

I know we've discussed pulp fiction's two Black Bat characters (the first published in Black Bat Detective Mysteries 1933-34 and the second in Black Book Detective 1939-53), but I can't recall if The Bat series that ran in Popular Detective (1934-35) has ever been mentioned.

This crime fighting hero was introduced in the first issue of Popular Detective (November 1934) and he made follow-up appearances in the next three issues.

thebat1.jpg

Very interesting and a very cool cover.

thebat1.jpg

Very interesting and a very cool cover.

what I love about this cover is how primitive the skeleton face is, yet how polished the woman's face is. Weird, but alluring.