• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

tb, I watched a couple of Silly Symphonies this morning and I noticed that the opening scene in The Fox Hunt (1931) has some similarities to the image you posted from The Skeleton Dance.

Thanks for looking up the pulp ads, Mr. Zoom, and also thanks for the fun reference. Iwerks had left Disney in 1930 but "The Fox Hunt" has a lot of his signature jokes. One shot, the technically most challenging, was very interesting for a CG geek like me.

All the current Hollywood movies that feature large crowd scenes are using tricks to reuse the same geometry over and over without perceptual artifacts. When you read through magazines like "Cinefex", you'll find tonnes of long articles where young hotshot TDs talk about how they invented this field.

What Iwerks & Co. wanted to do with this shot must have been hugely ambitious for 1931. The hills and the trees in the background are slightly asymmetric but there is still a line of symmetry going down through the center to create a balance in the crowds and frame the center of attention properly. The dogs first enter from the left and start the first cycle. Then the same dogs, the 3 center ones in a darker color, enter from the right. Presumably, the dogs had to be darker in order to reuse the already colored siblings from the left half. All the dogs then sync up to be in the same cycle. It is fun to imagine the detailed planning that must have gone into this shot. It looks like the complexity got a little in the way of quality control if you look at the dog in the lower left corner.

85196.jpg.d909afea87d177b7bb29a3cd0067600d.jpg

A slight change in subject but with all the reference covers that we've seen; has anyone come up with a cover that is similar to but prior to Action Comics #1. The car over the head would appear to be original to a super strong man. Is it really as original a concept as we think or might there be something similar in a pulp, magazine, or book cover (or other graphic design)?

Ed

Iwerks had left Disney in 1930 but "The Fox Hunt" has a lot of his signature jokes. One shot, the technically most challenging, was very interesting for a CG geek like me.

I remember marveling at some of the scenes in Popeye's "A Dream Walking" when I was a kid. I saw the cartoon again recently and I still find the level of artistry very impressive: The complexity of the shots at the construction site, the timing of the action to match the beat of the music, etc.

It's incredible what was turned out in the early 30's.

A slight change in subject but with all the reference covers that we've seen; has anyone come up with a cover that is similar to but prior to Action Comics #1. The car over the head would appear to be original to a super strong man. Is it really as original a concept as we think or might there be something similar in a pulp, magazine, or book cover (or other graphic design)?

I've always been curious about that, too. I'd love for someone to find some earlier similar type scene that might have been referenced by Shuster when he was drawing the illustration.

BZ, do you have any issues of Puck?

Yes, I have a couple of hundred issues. I'll see what I can put my hands on and post some examples.

Actually, my reason for asking is I recently picked up this original Ewer page from Puck (1914, as far as I can tell.) I was wondering if you might know which issue--I'd love to find a copy.

Thanks.

puck.jpg

I recently picked up this original Ewer page from Puck (1914, as far as I can tell.) I was wondering if you might know which issue--I'd love to find a copy.

Congratulations on your purchase. Originals by Ewer must be scarce. I believe he died when he was in his 20's.

I'm afraid I won't be able to help you identify which issue of Puck your drawing was published. All my copies are from the 1880's and 1890's. (shrug)

Yes, I have a couple of hundred issues. I'll see what I can put my hands on and post some examples.

Actually, my reason for asking is I recently picked up this original Ewer page from Puck (1914, as far as I can tell.) I was wondering if you might know which issue--I'd love to find a copy.

Thanks.

puck.jpg

What a marvelous piece! :applause:

I recently picked up this original Ewer page from Puck (1914, as far as I can tell.) I was wondering if you might know which issue--I'd love to find a copy.

Congratulations on your purchase. Originals by Ewer must be scarce. I believe he died when he was in his 20's.

I'm afraid I won't be able to help you identify which issue of Puck your drawing was published. All my copies are from the 1880's and 1890's. (shrug)

Oh well, thanks anyway. I know he died of TB in 1915, and I don't believe he had been drawing very long. He did some strip called "Slim Jim," which I've never seen.

Thanks.

puck.jpg

What a marvelous piece! :applause:

Thanks, Adam. I found it in an art gallery in Portland, Oregon, while on vacation last month. They thought they had second piece by him, but couldn't find it. Anyway, since they quoted me a price that was about 1/5 of what I expected, I had to get it. Beautiful inkwork, evocative of Palmer Cox, and maybe a little bit of Rackham; and huge at 20 x 30.

I know he died of TB in 1915, and I don't believe he had been drawing very long. He did some strip called "Slim Jim," which I've never seen.

Slim Jim was my father's favorite comic strip when he was a boy. Ewer's tenure on it, however, would have preceded the period when my dad was reading it. I've got some Sunday pages of it around here somewhere.