• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

There are a lot of great stories in the pulps. I like Kuttner and Vance. Eando Binder (brothers I think) wrote some good Adam Link stories. Otis Kline wrote ERB like stuff and some people say it was better. I used to get a lot of anthologies from the Sci Fi book club that consisted of pulp reprints but the paper was new and held together nicely for the past 30 years. You can find those books for little money at the bookstores. Asimov was published in the pulps and Zena Henderson too. Go out and read a bunch. They are better than Kellerman and Cornwall murder mysteries and more creative than Agatha Cristie.

In my opinion

rantrantbb

I love reading these pulps... I got into them for the cover art, and stayed for the obscure, rarely-to-never reprinted stories... William P. McGivern, Leigh Brackett, and Johnston McCulley are just a few of the authors I have "discovered" that I really like... Talbot Mundy is a great one too... Ray Bradbury started out writing for the pulps, as did Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, and Mickey Spillane...

There is true treasure hidden behind those wonderful covers, I tell ya lad!

Do you guys read these things? Aside from the Burroughs, who I can certainly appreciate, how's the writing?

You can find plenty of great stories from every possible genre in pulp magazines. The list of famous authors whose work was published in the pulps is long: Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, John D. MacDonald, Ray Bradbury, Frank Herbert, Philip K. D ick, Robert A. Heinlein, Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, etc.

The image of a girl in a test tube is a perennial favorite among many collectors.

I particularly like this illustration that appeared on the cover of Amazing Stories, January 1942 issue.

[Malcolm Smith cover artist.

testtubegirl.jpg

It looks like they are wearing proper eye protection and gloves. At least it is safe for the scientists but not sure about the up-side-down green girl.

Edited by BB-Gun

Since we've been on a skeleton kick of late...

Besides the drug and juvenile delinquent covers, skull-covers are a primary focus of mine. :)

PB-skull-theme.jpg

So are "hanging in the shadows" covers.....

PB-hang-theme.jpg

I also like "airbrushed legs in nylons" covers....

PB-legs-theme.jpg

And then there is "bodies on top of newsprint" covers...

PB-news-theme.jpg

And of course "women in evening dresses being grabbed from behind by

men in fancy hats" covers...

PB-grab-theme.jpg

I think that about covers it..... hmlol

The image of a girl in a test tube is a perennial favorite among many collectors.

I particularly like this illustration that appeared on the cover of Amazing Stories, January 1942 issue.

amazing194201.jpg

Malcolm Smith cover artist.

Very striking colors!

I love that cover.

I've been intending to purchase the book, The Paintings of J. Allen St. John, but haven't gotten around to it. :(

51aosyAqR7L._SS500_.jpg

It's a wonderful book!

I love that cover.

I've been intending to purchase the book, The Paintings of J. Allen St. John, but haven't gotten around to it. :(

51aosyAqR7L._SS500_.jpg

It's a wonderful book!

It is a wonderful looking book. What kind of treats are inside?

bb

51aosyAqR7L._SS500_.jpg

It is a wonderful looking book. What kind of treats are inside?

Here is some more information about the book which I copied from Amazon's listing for it.

Product Description

• More than 170 paintings of Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, more—many shot from original paintings

• Essays by top science fiction authors

The Paintings of J. Allen St. John presents the artist’s full-color fantasy and science-fiction paintings for novels and pulp magazine stories by famous authors such as Edgar Rice Burroughs. Essays by today’s top science-fiction writers, including Jack Williamson, illustrator Vincent Di Fate, and historian Robert R. Barrett, make this book—Vanguard’s second devoted to the art of St. John—essential for any fantasy collection.

More info at: The Paintings of J. Allen St. John

I was going through my copy of Four Color 673 to check condition when I turned to the inside back cover where the story continues and one panel jumped out at me, as much as the figure illustrated is jumping at some baddies. Right there was a Toth image from a cover of All-american Western from 5 years before and this wasn't Toth at work but Bob Correa. Sure enough, that was a pretty good swipe. Here's the evidence below. Note, the Correa art isn't bad at all, esp. in plain B&W. Of course, maybe Toth himself swiped from elsewhere but I am not aware of that -

86125.jpg.6fb241e30ee1e7b5fa7f65fb0a29dc43.jpg

86126.jpg.3d3f7fa9d2d4b0e8565a02e974d1889f.jpg

86127.jpg.c66914c4345fab1818a031b919760d61.jpg

amazing194201.jpg

Malcolm Smith cover artist.

testtubegirl.jpg

Beauty!!! I love it! I have been out of town for a few days so I am just catching up now.

Since we've been on a skeleton kick of late...

Besides the drug and juvenile delinquent covers, skull-covers are a primary focus of mine. :)

PB-skull-theme.jpg

So are "hanging in the shadows" covers.....

PB-hang-theme.jpg

I also like "airbrushed legs in nylons" covers....

PB-legs-theme.jpg

And then there is "bodies on top of newsprint" covers...

PB-news-theme.jpg

And of course "women in evening dresses being grabbed from behind by

men in fancy hats" covers...

PB-grab-theme.jpg

I think that about covers it..... hmlol

Great stuff Flea! Many I'd like to pick up.