• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wonderful page by Toth. Art stripped down to only what is essential.

Another artist whose storytelling ability I really admire is Gene Colan.

genecolan1.jpg

genecolan2.jpg

I think these are the pages that Stan referred to about Colan's ability to stretch out scene by showing a guy taking 10 panels to open door! :o(worship)

dell232.jpg

more and more I think I am going to have to get the whole run of map backs.

For the last couple of months I've used either a Looney Tunes or Little Lulu screensaver. The other day, what with our recent talk of vintage paperbacks, I switched to a Dell mapback screensaver. :)

Colan is so easy to pick out from the set of regular Marvel artists. I was flipping through the Killraven Essentials yesterday and stopped midway to check some pages and I said: that's Colan! Sure enough it was, quite a distinct footprint to his art that not all artists have. To wit, there was some Trimpe pages also in the volume IIRC and it could have easily been several other artists. Colan has a distinctive quality to his art (even though the guy's right arm in the splash above is kinda looking funky).

Fantastic pages as always (worship)

Re: Toth doodles. I could afford them but don't own any. Here are a few examples:

!BZSkkFwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKj0EjlLmTLjuBKl-ymQY6Q~~_12.JPG

!BZ(7s-g!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmEZt(BKm,Pi6Zzg~~_12.JPG

!BZWPZW!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmVz3(BKmTtQVd9w~~_12.JPG

Now, I am having regrets not bidding :cry:

GAC, are you specializing in collecting vintage mystery paperbacks?

My collecting tastes aren't that specific, there are some PB sets that I would like to work on, but most of the time my interests are cover driven no matter what the genre. Same with pulps though I do have an affinity towards romance titles(700+ romance pulps in my collection). I also enjoy dealing with these items, even if they are in my possession a short time it has given me an opportunity to become slightly familiar with what is out there- there is some fantastic stuff and I've only seen a small portion!

I think I mentioned on this thread a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, that I had an article on Segar which was published after his death in 1938.

While moving my heap of junk from NY back to PA, I found the Click Jan 1939 issue which contained the article.

Here are a couple of scans.

Unfortunately, Click is oversize and the scans are cut off but I tried to center them as much as possible without making too much fuss.

3934187170_cb303f7785_b.jpg

3933404407_c141173c48_b.jpg

Whether I remember correctly or not, I am sure fans of BZ's thread would be interested in the old article.

Edited by BB-Gun

I think I mentioned on this thread a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, that I had an article on Segar which was published after his death in 1938.

While moving my heap of junk from NY back to PA, I found the Click Jan 1939 issue which contained the article.

Here are a couple of scans.

Unfortunately, Click is oversize and the scans are cut off but I tried to center them as much as possible without making too much fuss.

Whether I remember correctly or not, I am sure fans of BZ's thread would be interested in the old article.

Segar. (worship)

Thanks for posting this. What's the cover look like? I want to keep an eye out for a copy.

I think the cover is a picture of Madame Chiang Kai-shek in a colorful costume.

Sorry I didn't scan it before I put it away. I will look for it again.

There is also a picture of Arno in that issue in an article about pugilistic men-about-town.

Apparently cartoonist had a more rowdy life back in the old days.

1781598408_11ef498f6b.jpg2553510898_1ea73dff38_m.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

There is also a picture of Arno in that issue in an article about pugilistic men-about-town.

I found an image of the cover online. Looks like I just missed a copy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLICK-Jan-1939-Rudolph-Diesel-Alfred-Lowrie-Popeye_W0QQitemZ400061654769QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090714?IMSfp=TL090714183003r9886#ht_500wt_1128

I found an image of the cover online. Looks like I just missed a copy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLICK-Jan-1939-Rudolph-Diesel-Alfred-Lowrie-Popeye_W0QQitemZ400061654769QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090714?IMSfp=TL090714183003r9886#ht_500wt_1128

That is the issue but I think my copy is in better shape.

Some of the Click issues that I have are a little fragile but this one should survive a little longer.

I still haven't identified the Four Color issue that has the origin of the Jeep story.

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

I still haven't identified the Four Color issue that has the origin of the Jeep story.

Whatever book it is, I still don't have a raw reader copy of it yet.. hopefully soon. Don't want to crack the high-grade slabs just to look.

Not sure if I posted this already.. but there was an ebay auction a few months back for a Jeep drawing in the same pose as the large figure on that page. The guy was selling it as an authentic vintage drawing by Sagendorf, but it looked to me like someone just projected this page on a big sheet of paper and made a copy in magic marker. Almost every detail was identical. This may have been used in an art department at one point, but I doubt it's a real Sagendorf drawing.

I would never had known if you hadn't posted this page on the boards.. so thanks! :)

EbayPictures104.jpg

EbayPictures103.jpg

Jeep.jpg