• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've seen this book with and without the branding at the top.. was it a giveaway?

PopeyeFunnyFilmsfront.jpg

Neat book. I've never seen that one before. :applause:

I checked the Heritage archives and discovered that they sold a copy two years ago that didn't have a store's name printed on the cover.

I like yours better.

I watched Popeye cartoons on CKLW from Windsor. Captain Jolly was the host and he was played by Toby David who was a local disk jockey. Fun to watch at the time. Especially liked the Alladin cartoon and Sinbad. Capt. was later replaced by Poopdeck Paul.

I used to watch Cap'n Tugg on WTTG.

Kid's show hosts: Link

Incredible, amazing.

I am not sure how else to begin this, my first post here. I followed a link to this thread from a lesser used forum on another site. I had started from the first post and finally read through it in about a month, then for the last couple of weeks I have been exploring this site.

To see all of these Golden Age treasures that I had thought had been lost to the winds of time has really given me a passion for Comics again. (I stopped buying new comics on a regular basis in 1998).

I myself have a few Golden Age Comics which I will now have to dig out and look at again and maybe post a couple of scans myself.

I don’t want to ramble on too much here. I just want to say Thank You, Bangzoom for starting this thread and sharing your collection(s) and also for the many others who have posted here.

When I get a chance I will post next in the “So what do you look like??” thread. It may take me a few days.

Oh, and Flee, your stuff cracks me up.

Scott aka ThreeSeas

Thanks for the kind words, Scott. :)

You'll have a great time here on the boards.

What do you collect?

Some other nice Popeye books from my collection. Also three of the oversized Charlie Chaplin books by Segar that came out years before Thimble Theater and Popeye.

WOW!!! eek.gif

Cheezy, you have an impressive collection. :applause:

You have several books I've never seen before.

Do you also collect vintage Popeye toys and other related items of interest?

Some other nice Popeye books from my collection. Also three of the oversized Charlie Chaplin books by Segar that came out years before Thimble Theater and Popeye.

WOW!!! eek.gif

Cheezy, you have an impressive collection. :applause:

You have several books I've never seen before.

Do you also collect vintage Popeye toys and other related items of interest?

Thanks BZ! I have a lot more. :)

I haven't tried to collect any toys other than a few early card and board games. I'm mainly sticking with paper collectibles for now. I just love comics and books.

Here are a couple more pieces:

PopeyePlaysNursemaidfront.jpg

PopeyePlaysNursemaidrear.jpg

ThimbleTheaterStarringPopeye2front.jpg

ThimbleTheaterStarringPopeye2rear.jpg

ThimbleTheater2inside.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, Scott. :)

You'll have a great time here on the boards.

What do you collect?

Many things. Too many. I mainly collect Carl Barks' works. I stared in awe at my pc screen when you posted the picture of your painting by Carl Barks..coolness. I own the hard cover reprints like Uncle Scrooge McDuck, His Life and Times (no. 1416 of 5000, Feb ’82), Uncle Scrooge in color no. 193 of 750, the ten slipcase 30 volume set and the Abbeville Press oversized HC books. I was never able to buy or find the originals so I quenched my thirst on those books. It was a lot of cash for me at the time but I had to have them.

My second love of comics would be the Archie comics. Just ask my twelve year old daughter, Veronica, who is also an Archie fan. Yep I named her after a comic character. I liked the name so I used it. Wifey got to name my first born so it was my turn on the second one. I do have a bunch of Archie Comics from the early to mid 50’s that my parents had bought for me at a farm auction 25 or so years ago, along with the late 60's to 90's comics I bought new.

When I was first able to, I would buy every Disney, Archie, and then horror comics that I could find.

I have many of the black and white independents that came out during the mid-80’s glut. Much of it was good reading, to me anyways.

I read mainly DC super heroes in the early 80's and collected them new until 1998 when the comic shop I frequented closed. With a couple of munchkins at home I had to cut back on some spending so out went new comics.

I am also a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs and I have a majority of his books in paperback which I read in my high school days. It was cool seeing all of the pictures of the original HC’s. Last spring I was on an across state trip and I picked up the book on tape ( MP3 player) of A princess or Mars and after 25 years I still enjoyed it. I was worried that I would not as it had been so long since I had read it.

I have many other things I have collected over the years, which I may tell at another time. My ID, ThreeSeas is what I picked as it looks better then CCC which is based on my favorite hobbies: Comics, Coins, and (muscle) Cars.

Keep the posts coming, BZ and everyone, they are a joy to read.

Thanks,

Scott

Take a look at this extraordinary book that sold for $8776 on eBay.

fantasia.jpg

From the auction description: Link

"1940 Book contains a lot of original art by many of the 1940's Disney animators, many of the drawings are quite risqué! This is all original artwork done in 1946. The drawings and signatures are actually drawn on the pages of the book."

"This book was from Walt Disney and his staff as a going away gift to artist Sally Holmes when she was leaving her job at Disney Studios. From what I hear, she was quite a hot beauty. You can see that many of the artists who contributed and signed their art in this book, certainly had some wild fantasies about this young woman."

Some of original artwork:

wardkimball.jpg

Ward Kimball

rudycataldi.jpg

Rudy Cataldi

billjustice.jpg

Bill Justice

jessemarsh_.jpg

Jesse Marsh (Dell Comics Tarzan artist)

There are many more drawings: Link

Take a look at this extraordinary book that sold for $8776 on EBay.

fantasia.jpg

From the auction description: Link

"1940 Book contains a lot of original art by many of the 1940's Disney animators, many of the drawings are quite risqué! This is all original artwork done in 1946. The drawings and signatures are actually drawn on the pages of the book."

"This book was from Walt Disney and his staff as a going away gift to artist Sally Holmes when she was leaving her job at Disney Studios. From what I hear, she was quite a hot beauty. You can see that many of the artists who contributed and signed their art in this book, certainly had some wild fantasies about this young woman."

Some of original artwork:

wardkimball.jpg

Ward Kimball

rudycataldi.jpg

Rudy Cataldi

billjustice.jpg

Bill Justice

jessemarsh_.jpg

Jesse Marsh (Dell Comics Tarzan artist)

There are many more drawings: Link

What an amazing piece of history! :o Somebody got a real treasure there.

Edited by Weird Paper

Thanks for the kudos on my Popeye books, guys. Appreciate it!

Here's another.. This is my ultimate Popeye grail book. Feature Book #nn. Gerber 10. Overstreet says 3 known copies -- well, 4 now. I really lucked out when I found this book on ebay a year ago. A woman discovered it in her father's attic in Queens, NY along with a couple other beater GA books. I can't possibly relay how thrilled I was to get this book in my collection.. and how I'm even more thrilled that it now looks as good as it does.

I don't know if you GA forum guys ever wander into the restoration forum.. but I recently posted this book there to show off the amazing restoration job Matt (restoman) and Kenny (Ze-Man) of Classics Incorporated did. You'll be blown away by the before and after shots. LINK

FeatureBooknnfront.jpg

Take a look at this extraordinary book that sold for $8776 on eBay.

That's an incredible book. I forwarded the link to all my animator friends. Funny, too.. Now-a-days, that sort of sexist humor would be grounds for a sexual harassment suit. Times have changed.