• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

The image below is seen 7:47 into the video.

Asbestos hm The character displays a striking resemblance with The Human Bomb (?) from the pages of Quality. Without looking I'd say that The Human Bomb was created after the Fair and sounds like a good source of inspiration might come from the image below.

86820.jpg.d91a53ce950a12bc6d185991fa7aa75a.jpg

BZ,

have you ever watched this:

New York World's Fair Home Video Montage

I know you like the Fair and that video montage gives a pretty good look around the grounds (thumbs u

I believe SweetyBones will like the LaffLand image ;)

Hey Scrooge,

Thanks for posting the fair link... its a really cool first-hand account of the fair. I have one of the souvenir 8mm movies they sold at the fair, but its in B&W, and also is more footage of the pavilions and less of the people that attended. Some really beautiful footage.

I liked the segment with all the 1930's nudie girls... was that supposed to be some sort of outdoor "art study" ? lol Gratuitous nudity even back then! One of the girls looks genuinely embarrassed to be filmed (she covers her face), but yet she's parading around mostly naked on display. (shrug)

Thanks for posting the fair link...

No problem. If you look around, there are more footage / home videos out there. They are better than the corporate movies shot to promote the fair to get an idea of the fun of going to the Fair.

Watching the film made me wonder if Walt Disney attended it since so many of the "themes" at the Disney parks are similar to those of the Fair: parade, rides, halls, ... The inspiration is quite clear.

The inspiration to look around came from the Collected Comics Library podcast I listened to during my commute, a talk with Brian Fies, the author of Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow. I believe I'll scoop up a copy of that book.

Amazon Linky

and check out the images of the interior pages.

Here's the blurb on the book:

"Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow?, the long-awaited follow-up to Mom's Cancer, is a unique graphic novel that tells the story of a young boy and his relationship with his father.

Spanning the period from the 1939 New York World's Fair to the last Apollo space mission in 1975, it is told through the eyes of a boy as he grows up in an era that was optimistic and ambitious, fueled by industry, engines, electricity, rockets, and the atom bomb. An insightful look at relationships and the promise of the future, award-winning author Brian Fies presents his story in a way that only comics and graphic novels can.

Interspersed with the comic book adventures of Commander Cap Crater (created by Fies to mirror the styles of the comics and the time periods he is depicting), and mixing art and historical photographs, this groundbreaking graphic novel is a lively trip through a half century of technological evolution. It is also a perceptive look at the changing moods of our nation-and the enduring promise of the future."

Re: the nudies in the WF video.

I was at first surprised then I remembered the education that Bangzoom gave me about other nudie shows at Fairs prior to the WF, such as the San Fran Sally Rand's DNude Ranch ;)

I'd like to visit the 1939 San Francisco Golden Gate International Exposition.

Link

sanfranciscoexposition.gif

It looks educational.

There's apparently lots of Wild West lore I never learned about in school.

sally.jpg

sallyrand.jpg

Last year someone on eBay was selling DVD's that he made from home movies that a family had taken when they visited the 1939 New York World's Fair.

The best thing about it was that it included footage taken during the Superman Day festivities.

Link

Here are a few screen captures.

supermanday1.jpg

supermanday2.jpg

supermanday3.jpg

supermanday4.jpg

That's Jerry Siegel on the left.

I also picture my parents and grandparents as having worn drab clothes in days of old. I guess I've fallen victim to having watched too many black and white movies.

My family and I visited several museums last year when we were on vacation. One of them had an exhibit of old bathing attire.

As the photos show, the clothing was actually pretty colorful back then.

bathingsuits5.jpg

bathingsuits7.jpg

The inspiration to look around came from the Collected Comics Library podcast I listened to during my commute, a talk with Brian Fies, the author of Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow. I believe I'll scoop up a copy of that book.

Amazon Linky

and check out the images of the interior pages.

Here's the blurb on the book:

"Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow?, the long-awaited follow-up to Mom's Cancer, is a unique graphic novel that tells the story of a young boy and his relationship with his father.

Spanning the period from the 1939 New York World's Fair to the last Apollo space mission in 1975, it is told through the eyes of a boy as he grows up in an era that was optimistic and ambitious, fueled by industry, engines, electricity, rockets, and the atom bomb. An insightful look at relationships and the promise of the future, award-winning author Brian Fies presents his story in a way that only comics and graphic novels can.

Interspersed with the comic book adventures of Commander Cap Crater (created by Fies to mirror the styles of the comics and the time periods he is depicting), and mixing art and historical photographs, this groundbreaking graphic novel is a lively trip through a half century of technological evolution. It is also a perceptive look at the changing moods of our nation-and the enduring promise of the future."

Thanks for the tip.

It looks like a book I'd like to read. (thumbs u

Do you know of any other modern comics / graphic novels that have a storyline that places them at the 1939 World's Fair?

A few months ago I was doing a search for something online when I stumbled across a site that reproduced a few pages from such a comic but I don't remember the name of the book. I thought I had bookmarked the website, but now I can't find the bookmark and subsequent Google searches have been futile. :cry:

Do you know of any other modern comics / graphic novels that have a storyline that places them at the 1939 World's Fair?

There is an arc in Sandman Mystery Theatre that takes place at the Fair. I'll look at tell you the issue #s. By now, it's probably been collected into a single trade as well.