• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing these! I had not heard of any supplements besides the Spirit.

Streamer Kelly by Jack Ryan

streamerkelly.jpg

One of my all time favorite science fiction cover artists is Howard Brown. Today he is remembered by few and is uncelebrated by most pulp fans.

He had an incredible imagination and painted fantastic scenes of space crafts and intergalactic life that must have been startling to gaze upon at the time of their publication.

Brown was born in 1878 and was in his mid fifties when he began working for Astounding in 1933. He painted 53 covers for the magazine from 1933-1939. He also did covers for Startling Stories and Thrilling Wonder Stories (1936-1940).

Prior to his stint in the world of SF pulps, Brown had painted covers for Scientific American from 1913-1931.

astoundingstories61936.jpg

Love this cover!

Brown was a talented artist, a bit more understated than Paul or Saunders... which really set his work apart from the others. Very subtle work, really beautiful.

(thumbs u

RyanH - Congratulations on the show! Hope the opening went well. Sorry.. flaked out and didn't post in the other thread.

BZ - Great stuff as always. (worship)

It appears that you're not alone in being a fan of Brown's work. I couldn't find a frame grab, but those aliens look one of Alcazar's brides in the Futurama episode "A Bicyclops Built for Two".

astoundingstories61936.jpg

Love this cover!

Brown was a talented artist, a bit more understated than Paul or Saunders... which really set his work apart from the others. Very subtle work, really beautiful.

I like the odd little bit of business of the creatures appearing to be checking books out at the library. lol

I love the energetic pose of that rocket jockey!

AstoundingStories193401.jpg

Typical teenage hotrodder in the 22nd century. :gossip: