• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Great Weird Tales Combos

Chapter X

As the room grew dark the light on the scanner flashed with increased urgency- its tiny brain crying the cry of all sentient beings- “Feed Me!” And the forumites, freshly enchanted by the REH-Brundage matrix, would be especially receptive to another top example of a sublime author-artist WT pairing. Moved by these mighty forces I made my way towards the pulp shelf. Dr Death beamed down from the wall approvingly as I drew forth the January 1941 issue.

For what would be the last of his Elak of Atlantis tales Henry Kuttner again won cover and lead story. The venerable Harold Delay set the mood with a lush dragon cover (if not exactly Elak), and interior illustrations came from our beloved Hannes Bok. Let the equation read: HK + HB = WT Wizardry!

img431.jpg

img432.jpg

img435.jpg

A winning combination for sure...Margaret Brundage and Robert E. Howard. :applause:

I am rapidly becoming a huge Brundage fan - is she generally considered the tops in her field amongst collectors?

Another sad story - she married a hobo, and apparently lived in near poverty till her death in 1976.

I would love to see someone do an art book/biography of brundage like some of the others that have been done. I think maybe she is acquired taste, because her style is very different. Part of that I think is the medium she used - pastels as opposed to oil or watercolor. But there are definately a lot of collectors, myself included, who love her work.

Her female figures I think often tend to be much better executed than her male figures. I know there are a lot of REH fans that hate the way she depicted Conan and there is a legitimate gripe there (although I like the "Devil in Iron" cover). But some her other covers are just magnificent - the Batwoman and Altar of Melek Taos for example. I got to see the original of the latter last year and it was just amazing (see below).

On an interesting side note, if you look close you'll see that woman's nipples are visible - this was also true of the one other Brunage original I've seen, "The Witch's Mark." I'm guessing that most of her WT covers were actually nudes that were "cleaned up" for publication. Maybe BZ could post his copy of the Melek Taos issue for comparison.

melektaoslg.jpg

melektaoslg.jpg

Nipples :cloud9:

lol Neil (lookwhoitis) got to see those Brundage originals too - along with a Frazetta, some St. Johns, Pauls, Boks, and even a Wyeth. Good times! Here's a write-up I did on that exhibit for The Cimmerian - even talk about the nipples:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/maidens-and-monsters-masters-of-science-fiction-and-fantasy-art-on-display/

Great Weird Tales Combos

Chapter X

As the room grew dark the light on the scanner flashed with increased urgency- its tiny brain crying the cry of all sentient beings- “Feed Me!” And the forumites, freshly enchanted by the REH-Brundage matrix, would be especially receptive to another top example of a sublime author-artist WT pairing. Moved by these mighty forces I made my way towards the pulp shelf. Dr Death beamed down from the wall approvingly as I drew forth the January 1941 issue.

For what would be the last of his Elak of Atlantis tales Henry Kuttner again won cover and lead story. The venerable Harold Delay set the mood with a lush dragon cover (if not exactly Elak), and interior illustrations came from our beloved Hannes Bok. Let the equation read: HK + HB = WT Wizardry!

img431.jpg

img432.jpg

img435.jpg

That's a gorgeous copy, Pat. I really need to read the Elak stories some time. Are they any good?

Edited by Theagenes

Kuttner can usually be depended on for color, concepts, and action- it's been a looong time... I can surely vouch that the 2nd Prince Raynor yarn, 'The Citadel of Darkness' from the Aug 1939 Strange Stories is an S&S classic. DeCamp's 'Swords and Sorcery' 1963 Pyramid PB ran it with a nice Finlay, and I reread it when I got the Raynor book.

img437.jpg

St John may be more impressive overall, but in the 'Weird Women' niche she reigns supreme!

And I didn't mean to slight the great Paul - I am genuinely curious who collectors consider to be the "Alex Schomburg" or "Lou Fine" of pulp covers.

I would love to see someone do an art book/biography of brundage like some of the others that have been done. I think maybe she is acquired taste, because her style is very different. Part of that I think is the medium she used - pastels as opposed to oil or watercolor. But there are definately a lot of collectors, myself included, who love her work.

Her female figures I think often tend to be much better executed than her male figures. I know there are a lot of REH fans that hate the way she depicted Conan and there is a legitimate gripe there (although I like the "Devil in Iron" cover). But some her other covers are just magnificent - the Batwoman and Altar of Melek Taos for example. I got to see the original of the latter last year and it was just amazing (see below).

On an interesting side note, if you look close you'll see that woman's nipples are visible - this was also true of the one other Brunage original I've seen, "The Witch's Mark." I'm guessing that most of her WT covers were actually nudes that were "cleaned up" for publication. Maybe BZ could post his copy of the Melek Taos issue for comparison.

melektaoslg.jpg

weirdtales1932_09.jpg

Weird Tales (September 1932)

Your Weird Tales are stunning! Those pristine copies show off the quality of the Brundage cover art! :cloud9:

Your Weird Tales are stunning! Those pristine copies show off the quality of the Brundage cover art! :cloud9:

Thanks.

Many of them were part of an original owner collection that also included many ERB books that are now part of my collection.

St John may be more impressive overall, but in the 'Weird Women' niche she reigns supreme!

And I didn't mean to slight the great Paul - I am genuinely curious who collectors consider to be the "Alex Schomburg" or "Lou Fine" of pulp covers.

Steve, you can check out the list of past Hugo Award winners: Link

Brundage, St John, Ward, Saunders, Finlay, and Freas are some I like a lot. Overall I'm most amazed by St John's work. I would love to see originals.

There isn't a better introduction to the pulp artist and paintings than this book. http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Art-Original-Paintings-Magazines/dp/1402730357/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299126007&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Brundage, St John, Ward, Saunders, Finlay, and Freas are some I like a lot. Overall I'm most amazed by St John's work. I would love to see originals.

There isn't a better introduction to the pulp artist and paintings than this book. http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Art-Original-Paintings-Magazines/dp/1402730357/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299126007&sr=8-2-fkmr0

I would also recommend Pulp Culture and The Classic Era of American Pulp Magazines.

I would also recommend Pulp Culture and The Classic Era of American Pulp Magazines.

Those are both excellent as well. (thumbs u

Other favorites that come immediately to mind are Baumhofer, Belarski, DeSoto and Howitt and Hewitt.

If not already listed, you should check out Dave Saunders's webpage about pulp artists - Pulp Artists