• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Pat, are we going to talk great science fiction? ACFL was one of the seminal reading experiences of my youth. It's arguably the greatest post-apocalyptic novel, along with Earth Abides and City but Pat will know whether or not it was the first.

175-1.jpg

(These are not my copies)

I have not read City, but it looks interesting - I'll have to pick it up at the local half priced bookstore this weekend. That's a great cover!

Earth Abides was great, though I haven't read it for years.

This is one of my favorite covers of the 1930's.

Terence X. O'Leary's War Birds (April 1935).

terenceolearys193504JPG.jpg

Cover by Rudolph Belarski

A steampunk Adam Strange. What's not to like! :grin:

this cover for one of the City stories- by Alejandro Canedo- really captures the flavor...

img489.jpg

great stuff! I quite forgot that City is a sequence of interlinked stories rather than a standard novel. In the end the ants take over the earth.

Dammit!! Spoiler alert, please!! :baiting:

realwar-1.jpg

From Wikipedia for those too young to remember him:

Syd Shores

Sydney Shores (September 4, 1913 - June 3, 1973) was an American comic book artist known for his work on Captain America both during the 1940s, in what fans and historians call the Golden Age of comic books, and during the 1960s Silver Age of comic books.

You have sharp eyes BZ! Shores is responsible for one of my favourite Timely covers, sadly no longer in my collection:

182516_20091015221956_large.jpg

He also did these covers for Lorna the Jungle Girl, - which thankfully I can lay claim to:

LornatheJungleGirl1145.jpg

LornatheJungleGirl1365.jpg

LornatheJungleGirl1675.jpg

What I've only just noticed is that the author of The Last G.I. is none other than Lou Cameron, the mainstay of Ace horror comics...

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

...as well as the illustrator of Classics Illustrated's War of the Wotlds adaptation:

3778730672_348902ee01_o.jpg

and The Time Machine:

DO-08-080-1.jpg

this cover for one of the City stories- by Alejandro Canedo- really captures the flavor...

img489.jpg

great stuff! I quite forgot that City is a sequence of interlinked stories rather than a standard novel. In the end the ants take over the earth.

Dammit!! Spoiler alert, please!! :baiting:

Apologies, I will be more careful in future. In my old edition the ants were even mentioned on the back cover! It's not a shock or twist ending, and it wont spoil your reading I hope, but is in fact indicative of a grand theme, characteristic of Simak's work, that nature doesnt need humanity, humanity needs nature. He was probably the first ecological sci fi writer, along with J.G Ballard.

Speaking of Ballard, any early editions Pat? Greatly enjoying the wonderful dust jackets you've been posting - they are timeless!

Edited by alanna

Shores is responsible for one of my favourite Timely covers, sadly no longer in my collection:

182516_20091015221956_large.jpg

Kindred spirits...

ht27.jpg

Competition time and - I win! (Oh - it doesnt work that way?)

I thought of that when I was posting the cover. lol

Here's the real deal. Identify the comic from which this image is taken.

2011quiz_26a.jpg

Hint: It's a Syd Shores cover.