• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The best I can do is show off my Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet Magazines.

orientalstories1.jpg

October 1930, December 1930, February 1931

orientalstories2.jpg

Spring 1931, Summer 1931, Fall 1931

orientalstories3.jpg

Winter 1932, Spring 1932, Summer 1932

Well BZ, the best you can do is one of the best set of pics I've seen. Unbelievable condition! :golfclap:

FYI, the last issue displayed (Summer '32) was the one the dealer had for sale, and I'm still thinking about it (it did have a small glue repair inside the spine, but still mid-range w/nice pages) hm

magiccarpet1.jpg

January 1933, April 1933, July 1933

The middle one (Apr '33) was the issue I saw for sale for sale yesterday (VG).

So a nice 14 issue run that still remains a challenge due to their scarcity?

magiccarpet1.jpg

How are the quality of the stories in these two titles (Magic Carpet and Oriental Stories)? Are they mostly action type tales or do they get into mysticism and other stuff?

I really can't attest to the quality of the stories therein but I can attest that from the covers, the list of contributors does have some very nice ones from Bedford-Jones and Kline to Hamilton and Price going through Cave and Quinn. You're looking at a lot of industry stalwarts, guys that editors kept busy by buying their stuff so you will at least get competency from these.

Try one story here - http://pulpgen.com/pulp/downloads/getpdf.php?id=390

It's the Face Pidgin from the January 1933 issue by James W. Bennett who I'll admit I am not familiar with unfortunately and you'll notice that his entry does not make the issue's cover either ... which should tell us enough about what to expect out of this short 6-pager.

Here are a few entries from Oriental Stories -

The Green Jade God - Dec. 1930

The King of the Jerawahs - Dec. 1930

The Merchant of Basra

The Ball of Fire - Summer 1931

The Song of the Cakes - Autumn 1931

The Black Adder - Summer 1932

On these, I'd go with The King of Jerawahs and The Ball of Fire as they feature a recurring character. :thumbsup:

I really can't attest to the quality of the stories therein but I can attest that from the covers, the list of contributors does have some very nice ones from Bedford-Jones and Kline to Hamilton and Price going through Cave and Quinn. You're looking at a lot of industry stalwarts, guys that editors kept busy by buying their stuff so you will at least get competency from these.

Try one story here - http://pulpgen.com/pulp/downloads/getpdf.php?id=390

It's the Face Pidgin from the January 1933 issue by James W. Bennett who I'll admit I am not familiar with unfortunately and you'll notice that his entry does not make the issue's cover either ... which should tell us enough about what to expect out of this short 6-pager.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out, along with the others you just listed (after getting some sleep). Those oriental pulps have always looked interesting to me, but I've never caved on getting any of them. I do love the covers!

magiccarpet1.jpg

magiccarpet2.jpg

October 1933, January 1934.

Oh dear. these are simply stunning! I get up 5 hours in advance of you guys in the states, and while I often miss the best of the conversation, it does mean that I do, on some mornings, as today, find my breath simply taken away. Those Magic carpets are staggering. BZ, can you give attributions as to cover artists please? Other than Brundage that is.

My only constructive observation is that if based on our respective scans, if one compares the output of Saunders and Gross before and after the war, I'd suggest that they did not put their hearts and souls into their post war work for magazines (and arguably paperbacks) as they had done for the pulps. Just going through the motions. The pulps gave their imaginations free reign. The post war magazines were comparatively formulaic.

Edited by alanna

magiccarpet2.jpg

Wow, these are stunning. I've never seen the one on the right, its amazing.

It contains the the REH story "The Shadow of the Vulture" which is the first appearance of Red Sonya.

I was the underbidder on a gorgeous copy a couple of months ago. :cry:

magiccarpet1.jpg

I think the challenge might be to find them all in at least VG condition but since I already have a set, I don't pay too much attention to their current availability.

Theagenes could probably tell you if they are truly scarce or not.

magiccarpet1.jpg

magiccarpet2.jpg

Those Magic carpets are staggering. BZ, can you give attributions as to cover artists please? Other than Brundage that is.

Brundage is the artist for all the covers with the exception of the July 1933 issue which was painted by J. Allen St. John

orientalstories1932winter.jpg

Cover: J. Allen St. John

This is wonderful! The level of technical accomplishment is extremely high, isnt it?

It puts me in mind of the orientalist painters of the nineteenth century, of whom my favourite is John Frederick Lewis, who spent 10 years living and working in Cairo. Like many Victorian genre painters, he was admired during his lifetime but largely forgotten after his death until "rediscovered" in the 1960's. His work now sells for millions of dollars.

The coffee bearer:

John_Frederick_Lewis_004.jpg

Liliam auratum:

John-Frederick-Lewis-Lilium-Auratum.jpg

Had he lived 70 years later, he would arguably have earned a living painting pulp covers like St John. Conversely had St John lived earlier, he might have been justly celebrated - and Norm Saunders would have been the american counterpart of Delacroix!

Life in the harem:

life_in_the_hareem_cairo-huge.jpg

An intercepted correspondence:

an-intercepted-correspondence.jpg

Edited by alanna

I think the challenge might be to find them all in at least VG condition but since I already have a set, I don't pay too much attention to their current availability.

Theagenes could probably tell you if they are truly scarce or not.

They're definately scarcer than their WT counterparts, but they are out there. Better than VG is tough to come by though. I'm fast learning that all of the best pulps are probably locked up in old school collections.