• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

:applause: Steve. Looks like you're having fun with the pulps. It's great to see you this excited :banana:

Thnx Michael - glad that the enthusiasm comes through.

One more for tonight, and probably the one book that I bought today that approaches "BZ-like quality" - fresh, bright red spine, almost like new (except for some interior cover edge tanning).

Finlay cover (and unbelievable interior illos)... Howard, Quinn, Lovecraft, Smith, Binder, Houdini (!), etc.

Just unreal.

July 1939

WTJuly39.jpg

:applause: Steve. Looks like you're having fun with the pulps. It's great to see you this excited :banana:

Thnx Michael - glad that the enthusiasm comes through.

One more for tonight, and probably the one book that I bought today that approaches "BZ-like quality" - fresh, bright red spine, almost like new (except for some interior cover edge tanning).

Finlay cover (and unbelievable interior illos)... Howard, Quinn, Lovecraft, Smith, Binder, Houdini (!), etc.

Just unreal.

July 1939

WTJuly39.jpg

160 pages of goodness :)

Just unreal.

July 1939

WTJuly39.jpg

I didn't recognize that cover so I had to go downstairs to be certain I owned it.

Your copy is in better condition than mine. :sumo:

Just like Screamin Jay Hawkins said.

Awesome. There aren't many people today who know know the work of Screamin' Jay. (thumbs u

cool link... some serious pipes on that cat

And here's a BZ thread exclusive...

April 1934 (Robert E. Howard Conan)

WTApril34.jpg

You guys had a party last night, and as usual I missed most of the fun. So I will do my catching up - again as usual - while you are all sleeping. (Apart from Annihilus, who apparently never sleeps.)

That April 1934 is just such a fantastic cover, and the colors really "pop" on that copy Steve! :applause:

I am probably going to content myself with Girasol facsimiles - my first order is lined up and almost ready to ship. (I'm slightlyasthmatic and even magazines can get me a bit wheezy, so I thought I'd steer clear of the originals.) But Steve's adventures in pulp collecting are enough to make me change my mind.... Just one problem though - I'm living on the wrong bloody continent!

Seeing Steve's great Weird tales pick ups reminded me that while I have no originals, I do have this rather nice book with lots of repros. It was published by Jupiter Press in the UK circa 1979, though I imagine there is a preceding US imprint? Anyway, here are a few of the covers reproduced. (I daresay BZ has copies of ther originals!)

This set me to wondering what other great compilations might be out there - I have one or two myself if they would be of interest.

wt004.jpg

wt002.jpg

wt001.jpg

wt003.jpg

wt.jpg

Battered Silicon Dispatch Box produced a complete Jules de Grandin 3-volume set with the entire 93 appearances (1300 pages) of the character by Seabury Quinn with commentaries by Bob Weinberg - The Complete Adventures of Jules de Grandin

Jules%20DeGrandin%20Vol.1.jpg

...and - oh joy - the complete Golden Amazon stories!

Golden20Amazon20Vol.jpg

http://www.batteredbox.com/LostTreasures/10-GoldenAmazon3V.htm

Edited by alanna

I especially liked this page that shows off some of the rarest pulps in his collection: Link

Thanks for that link :thumbsup:

Excellent link indeed - great cover on the Black Mask featuring "The Maltese Falcon", a bonus for any collector, and I'd love to know the story behind the Yale Record publication, "Real Spicy Horror Stories" - some sort of pulp parody I imagine.

Finlay cover (and unbelievable interior illos)... Howard, Quinn, Lovecraft, Smith, Binder, Houdini (Lovecraft!)* :whistle: , etc.

Just unreal.

July 1939

*Just saying.

Nice book, and yet another I need. Sigh.

Ah, thanks for the clarification - I obviously still have a lot to learn.

I really do like the way that WT mixes its content with new stories, verse, text illos, a "classic" story (in which section the "Houdini" was), and even the comments on letters pages are fun to read.

Add in of course the Brundage (and Finlay) covers, and like Pat C. says, these are just "Super Pulps"!

Finlay cover (and unbelievable interior illos)... Howard, Quinn, Lovecraft, Smith, Binder, Houdini (Lovecraft!)* :whistle: , etc.

Just unreal.

July 1939

*Just saying.

Nice book, and yet another I need. Sigh.

Ah, thanks for the clarification - I obviously still have a lot to learn.

I really do like the way that WT mixes its content with new stories, verse, text illos, a "classic" story (in which section the "Houdini" was), and even the comments on letters pages are fun to read.

Add in of course the Brundage (and Finlay) covers, and like Pat C. says, these are just "Super Pulps"!

lol I've probably got way more to learn about pulps than you do, I'm just semi-learned in Lovecraft. The story kernel for Imprisoned with the Pharaohs was Houdini's, but Lovecraft wrote the whole thing (wrote it twice, actually - after losing the first copy at Union Station, he and his wife spent much of their honeymoon re-writing it to get it submitted before deadline). Sometimes I wonder if HPL lost it on purpose so he didn't have to mess around with his wife after getting married.

I agree with you that the letters pages are fun to read - sometimes better than some of the stories! I don't have a ton of pulps yet, but I love reading them knowing that some kid probably was doing the same thing 75 years ago.