• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I definitely seem some inspiration from Conley in that first illustration. I had not heard of him before so thanks for sharing the illo. (thumbs u

An old time illustrator whose work I admire is Lee Conrey.

I first heard of him when I was reading about artists who were high on Lou Fine's list of favorites.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find much info about him despite his being a frequent contributor to Hearst's Sunday newspaper supplement "The American Weekly" for over 20 years (1920's-1940's).

Thanks for the introduction to this great artist. I checked him out on the internet and found some really cool pics of his. This is one of my favorite.

thelastjudgementleeconr.jpg

Well, I'm on my way to Cross Plains, TX for Robert E. Howard Days 2011. :banana:

Sounds like terrific fun. :applause:

I hope you take a bunch of photos.

Here's a going away present of sorts.

The last issue of Strange Tales which includes Robert E. Howard's story, "The Cairn on the Headland."

strangetales193301.jpg

Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror (January 1933)

Cover: H.W. Wesso

Well, I'm on my way to Cross Plains, TX for Robert E. Howard Days 2011. :banana:

The last issue of Strange Tales which includes Robert E. Howard's story, "The Cairn on the Headland."

strangetales193301.jpg

I'm not sure why but I love that book! :cloud9:

Question for Bangzoom:

You have probably seen the Mitch Mehdy threads where he is sharing stories from the early 70s. Did you hear about his purchase of an Action 1 for $1800 back when it happened? What was your reaction at the time?

Question for Bangzoom:

You have probably seen the Mitch Mehdy threads where he is sharing stories from the early 70s. Did you hear about his purchase of an Action 1 for $1800 back when it happened? What was your reaction at the time?

Thanks for asking BZ this question, Adam. I've been hoping that BZ would comment at some point.

:popcorn:

strangetales193301.jpg

What a great send off! :applause:

Robert E. Howard Days 2011 Day 1

All right I'll give a daily trip report and see how that goes. So most of you know I'm a big REH fan and have even been dabbling in the world of REH scholarship over the last couple of years. I started by writing popular articles for TheCimmerian.com and recently I've been doing more academic work on Howard with a couple of peer-reviewed articles, a book chapter, and paper at the PCA conference. I also joined REHupa, the Howard-oriented apa that's been around since the early 70s. Well, a big part of being involved this deeply in Howard fandom is making the annual pilgrimage to Cross Plains for Howard Days. It began as a small get-together for some of the REHupans back in the 80s and has grown to become almost a mini-con for REH fans with panels, guests, a swap meet, etc.

Last year was my first time going to HDs. I met up with fellow boardie lookwhoitis (Neil) and we had great time. There's some pics of our trip in the "Conan Comics" thread in General, btw.

This year my wife Claudia agreed to join me, so we decided to drive instead of fly and make a week long roadtrip out of it. That would also allow me to bring along a couple of boxes of books, comics, and pulps for selling, trading, or just for geeking out over. Since its a sixteen hour drive plus from Tallahassee to the middle of nowhere in West Central Texas we decided to break it up.

So last night we stopped off in Mississippi to visit our own Rich "Yellowkid" Olson, who graciously agreed to put us up for the night. Rich and his wife are the most wonderful host and have a beautiful home. Rich also has an amazing collection that I love seeing when I visit. He and I have very similar tastes when it comes to collecting and I always really enjoy geeking out with him. We thought it might be nice to post a pic showing all these superhero fanatics what "real" grails look like. :baiting:

picsay-1307549235.jpg

So we're back on the road this morning headed to Texas and post some occasional updates as our Howardian adventure continues. Please excuse any typos as I'll mostly be posting with my phone.

Edited by Theagenes

Great pic! Thanks for the report. (thumbs u

It's nice to hear that the Boards are facilitating more meetings among comics fans.

Robert E. Howard Days 2011 Day 1

All right I'll give a daily trip report and see how that goes. So most of you know I'm a big REH fan and have even been dabbling in the world of REH scholarship over the last couple of years. I started by writing popular articles for TheCimmerian.com and recently I've been doing more academic work on Howard with a couple of peer-reviewed articles, a book chapter, and paper at the PCA conference. I also joined REHupa, the Howard-oriented apa that's been around since the early 70s. Well, a big part of being involved this deeply in Howard fandom is making the annual pilgrimage to Cross Plains for Howard Days. It began as a small get-together for some of the REHupans back in the 80s and has grown to become almost a mini-con for REH fans with panels, guests, a swap meet, etc.

Last year was my first time going to HDs. I met up with fellow boardie lookwhoitis (Neil) and we had great time. There's some pics of our trip in the "Conan Comics" thread in General, btw.

This year my wife Claudia agreed to join me, so we decided to drive instead of fly and make a week long roadtrip out of it. That would also allow me to bring along a couple of boxes of books, comics, and pulps for selling, trading, or just for geeking out over. Since its a sixteen hour drive plus from Tallahassee to the middle of nowhere in West Central Texas we decided to break it up.

So last night we stopped off in Mississippi to visit our own Rich "Yellowkid" Olson, who graciously agreed to put us up for the night. Rich and his wife are the most wonderful host and have a beautiful home. Rich also has an amazing collection that I love seeing when I visit. He and I have very similar tastes when it comes to collecting and I always really enjoy geeking out with him. We thought it might be nice to post a pic showing all these superhero fanatics what "real" grails look like. :baiting:

picsay-1307549235.jpg

So we're back on the road this morning headed to Texas and post some occasional updates as our Howardian adventure continues. Please excuse any typos as I'll mostly be posting with my phone.

Great stuff Jeff! Glad to see you and Rich are still getting together and geeking out on the good stuff :)

Unfortunately, not this trip., Roger :(

I'll make it back down there one of these days though and hopefully we'll have more time to hang out next time.

I'll be seeing Mark Finn again this week, who you met back in April.

Great stuff Jeff! Glad to see you and Rich are still getting together and geeking out on the good stuff :)

Absolutely, though I think Gayle and Claudia might have more fun in the other room making fun of our geekery. :)