• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

This page sure as heck ain't only Torres. Williamson/and/or Krenkel bottom panel and Frazetta in panel 3...

Torres was one of the Fleagles so it's certainly possible others lent a hand. But it's equally possible he imitated or swiped from Fritz or Al.

This page sure as heck ain't only Torres. Williamson/and/or Krenkel bottom panel and Frazetta in panel 3...

Torres was one of the Fleagles so it's certainly possible others lent a hand. But it's equally possible he imitated or swiped from Fritz or Al.

I knew you were going to say that AS! lol I was going to couch my theory with the same comment!

I knew you were going to say that AS! lol I was going to couch my theory with the same comment!

I really enjoyed the few stories Torres did for Warren. Is that original art anywhere?

I'm so predictable :sorry:

I'm so predictable :sorry:

You can't help yourself = you have so much knowledge bursting out of that brain of yours! (thumbs u

Hello all... I have something (not a comic) that I've never seen before. I've seen other volumes of the Royce Quick Reader series, but never this Poe one. Anyone have or seen one of these before? This book was published in 1942 and features five Poe stories (Black Cat, Purloined Letter, Mask of the Red Death, Berenice, Pit and Pendulum). 128 pages but is only about 3 inches tall and a little over 2 inches wide. Has about 10 b&w interior illustrations.

img259.jpg

img260-1.jpg

Edited by *paull*

Major score underway & rewriting of ‘history’…

As far as is known today, Harle Oren Cummins wrote sixteen stories in the first years of the Twentieth Century. They appeared in such magazines as Argosy, McClure's, and Short Stories. Fifteen of them were collected in a little book called Welsh Rarebit Tales. For reasons unknown the sixteenth story was omitted from the collection.

Then Harle Oren Cummins disappeared. No other published works have been found. A few sources give Cummins' place of birth (Boston) and years of birth and death (1859-1931). Other than that, Cummins remains a mystery. Even his or her gender is a mystery.

But the stories are remarkable. They range from science fiction to supernatural horror. At their best, they remain powerful and atmospheric.

The stories, include "The Man Who Made a Man" and "The Space Annihilator," several show the obvious influence of Ambrose Bierce. Mutual Book Co 1902

This is clearly and by far the oldest collection of weird tales from the pulps, and the first –or close- book of pulp stories collected into hardback- period. + Book has 6 art plates in it by R. Emmett Owen

(image is one of Lloyd Currey’s copies who was nice enough to let me know book existed…) the 2 great story titles above both Argosy 1901 (have bought- last night- but not in yet- )

ps- plate below from Grimm's may be Owen... pss- possible influence on W McCay 'Rarebit Fiend' 1904

137139.jpg

grimm.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

137139.jpg

Very cool. :applause:

I always love hearing about authors and artists that were previously unknown to me.

Other than the two stories you referred to that were from Argosy, do you know where the other stories were originally published? If I have any of the pulps I could check to see if there were any editorial comments about Cummins.