• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I love the inking style ... but I suck at this :sorry:

And I collect a LOT of series lol

Some Atlas pages are tricky because they can be the result of "multiple hands." For instance the earlier Baker page appears to have inks by Vince Colletta.

Just guessing by the loose style of inking, the other Atlas regular that comes to mind is Tony DiPreta...

Here is another page from the story.

2012_16b.jpg

Fred Kida.

^^

bowdown.gif

It's much more detailed artwork than what I'm generally accustomed to seeing from Kida during this period. Was someone giving him an assist?

GCD and atlastales.com only credit Kida. (shrug)

If you say it's easy, it must be Al Williamson.

Nope. :(

The next page will make it very easy to ID. :gossip:

No need for another page. You made me dig out my issue of WAR 46, after thinking Crandall. I'm playing for pride now. lol

It's Reed Crandall...though you gotta admit it's weak Crandall with thin, monotonous lines with hardly spotting of blacks or the fine feathering he was known for. This one must be a rush job...or he was inked by another.

UT04.jpg

Very nice. :applause:

Is that frontispiece handcolored by Frazetta?

I wish! But it does have a somewhat interesting backstory. This was the second of the Wandering Star REH limited editons to be released. All of them were intended to be signed by the respective artists. But when this was released in the late 90's it was after one of Frazetta's strokes and he was unable to sign. So the books was published anyway as a numbered, but unsigned edition of 1050 copies. A few years later, however, after he trained himself to write with his left hand, he signed and hand numbered 125 copies that they had in stock at the museum. They were only available through at the museum or through the museum website.

When I started to put together the Wandering Star set a couple of years ago I knew I had to get one of these signed copies of Ultimate Triumph. I finally got the money to get one, but unfortunately it was right after Ellie died and the website was shut down. When it opened up late that year, the book was listed as sold out. Desperate I called the number listed on the webpage to see if they had any copies stashed away, but I got some golf shop instead of the museum and hung up thinking I had the wrong number. Now I realize it was his son's golf shop. That was two days before the bulldozer incident. doh!

After the bulldozer, I gave up and resigned myself to settling for one of the regular unsigned copies. I set an ebay alert so I could just grab the next one that came up for sell. A few weeks later I got an alert and when I clicked I saw that a bookdealer had listed one of the signed copies with a BIN priced well-below what Frazetta's had been originally charging. I've never hit a BIN so fast in my life!

It looked a bookdealer that dealt with regular fiction and while he realized it was signed didn't know that it was different from the regular unsigned limited edition. He probably just looked on ABE to see what others were selling it for. He had it priced at the extreme high end of FMV for a regular copy so he probably thought I was a sucker. :grin:

Here is another page from the story.

2012_16b.jpg

Fred Kida.

^^

bowdown.gif

It's much more detailed artwork than what I'm generally accustomed to seeing from Kida during this period. Was someone giving him an assist?

GCD and atlastales.com only credit Kida. (shrug)

I can't get a handle on Kida from this period at all. All the chiaroscuro in these examples looks more like Toth than anything. I can't nail down any 'typical' style for him. :(

But I do find that Kida had some really nice detailed pieces with Atlas. For example:

121902.jpg.4cb0c9fa3e6be55e69f758f88d622162.jpg

121903.jpg.35b5468d77fab27331c4c62f65cb1c43.jpg