• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Hello all... I have something (not a comic) that I've never seen before. I've seen other volumes of the Royce Quick Reader series, but never this Poe one. Anyone have or seen one of these before? This book was published in 1942 and features five Poe stories (Black Cat, Purloined Letter, Mask of the Red Death, Berenice, Pit and Pendulum). 128 pages but is only about 3 inches tall and a little over 2 inches wide. Has about 10 b&w interior illustrations.

img259.jpg

Neat book. I've never seen that one before. :applause:

I have several other titles in my collection.

quickreaders.jpg

Hello all... I have something (not a comic) that I've never seen before. I've seen other volumes of the Royce Quick Reader series, but never this Poe one. Anyone have or seen one of these before? This book was published in 1942 and features five Poe stories (Black Cat, Purloined Letter, Mask of the Red Death, Berenice, Pit and Pendulum). 128 pages but is only about 3 inches tall and a little over 2 inches wide. Has about 10 b&w interior illustrations.

img259.jpg

Neat book. I've never seen that one before. :applause:

I have several other titles in my collection.

quickreaders.jpg

Wow... something that you haven't seen? ;) That's a first! Thanks for the pic.

Edited by *paull*

oh yeah - Johnny's Flying Saucer is also a superb -script, thus = an incredible comics combo. On the 'Rarebit' will fill in more once have book in hand...

here's from Richard Lupoff's intro to a reprint he did

His story “The Man and the Beast” appeared in Argosy for April, 1901. “The Space Annihilator” appeared in Argosy for September, 1901. “The Man who Made a Man,” Cummins’ most famous and most often anthologized story, appeared in McClure’s Magazine – not a pulp but a general magazine -- for December of that same year.

One story which I would dearly love to read is “The Ring of the Golden Snake,” published in The Nickel Magazine for September, 1902. This was presumably too late for inclusion in Welsh Rarebit Tales but there are Argosy collectors. Perhaps one of them would be kind enough to furnish us with a copy of this story, which could be included in some future volume.

Can't say that I'm very confident :

11 Kweskin

12 Mayo