• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Cotton-Top Katie got a whole six-page story.

mm

According to GCD, Katie appeared in All-Flash, Green Lantern, Comic Cavalcade, All-Star Comics, All-American Comics, and Sensation Comics.

And to think I'd never heard of her. :cry:

Obviously my knowledge about DC's backup features is woefully lacking. :(

MLJ1943-1.jpg

That's very cool. :applause:

I looked up the magazine The Open Road for Boys on Wikipedia and found this interesting bit of trivia:

Cartoon contest

A popular Open Road feature was a cartoon contest which showed a drawing of a problem or situation, inviting the magazine's readers to do a follow-up cartoon showing the resolution of the problem. Well known cartoonists, such as Paul Coker, George Crenshaw, Dan Heilman, Eldon Pletcher, Mort Walker, Bill Yates and Bob Zschiesche, saw their first printed cartoons in the Open Road competitions, which also had an influence on illustrators and fine artists, as the painter Wayne Thiebaud noted in an interview with Susan Larsen:

I got very interested in cartooning... mostly just the American comics in the newspapers. For a long time, I remember I cut out strips and kept them around. Then I would copy them and so on and got more and more interested. By the time I was maybe 16, I guess, 15, I started sending in cartoons to magazines. They had these contests in a magazine called Open Road for Boys. They would say: "Draw a cartoon in which you would say how this problem is solved." So I did that and I remember having a couple of things published, and I was very excited and so on... I think I got a dollar, a dollar prize.

Cover artists included Jacob Bates Abbott, George Avison, Clarence Doore, William D. Eaton and Charles Hargens.

I've always enjoyed reading vintage ads that were used for the selling of comic character products.

Here are a few from 1947 and 1948.

Pep Comic Buttons

Might be a cool thread is someone had the toys and the ad.