• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I know everybody is familiar with the work of Winsor McCay, but did you know his son, Bob McCay, was an illustrator and worked in the comic book field?

Excerpted From Wikipedia:

Bob McCay

Robert Winsor McCay (21 June 1896 - 21 April 1962) was an American cartoonist during the golden age of comic books. He worked professionally under the names R. Winsor McCay, Winsor McCay Jr., and Bob McCay. He was the son of cartoonist and animator Winsor McCay, and served as his model for the elder's comic-strip character Little Nemo.

Golden Age of Comic Books

Illustrator

In 1935, McCay signed with King Features Syndicate to produce Nemo in Adventureland, a new version featuring the characters as adults and ran until 1936. He also made political cartoons for the syndicate during the 1930s, and again during the early 1950s.

1n 1937, Harry “A” Chesler created a newspaper syndicate, signing McCay to produce a new version of Little Nemo, as well as a daily featuring Impie. Production continued on both after the syndicate was closed in 1938, being utilized in various comic books including Cocomalt Comics and Blue Ribbon, published by MLJ Publications (later Archie Publications). Chesler closed his shop (the first of several times) around 1940. Street & Smith ran Little Nemo in 1942 in Shadow Comics. In 1945, McCay was again with Chesler’s shop, producing Little Nemo in Adventureland for Red Seal and Punch Comics until 1947, when the shop closed done for the final time.

Inker/colorist

Around 1939, McCay began working for DC Comics as a colorist, and would continue until about 1945. He was a background illustrator and inker at the Jack Binder Studio, working on the Fawcett character Bulletman, and Street & Smith’s Ajax the Sun Man and Blackstone the Magician.

Wow BZ...

I didn't know Winsor's son also drew comic books.

The style is just like his father's. :o

I've got some Winsor "Nemo" pages scanned from Star comics, I'll try to post them.

Just for comparison purposes... (thumbs u

Sorry, but I just looked and can't find my Little Nemo scans... :makepoint:

I must have deleted them.... :sorry:

edit: or mis-placed them somewhere....I hate when that happens...

Edited by Blind Owl