• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Dear Mr Fantasy-

Hear you’ve gone on a million year picnic. Have fun, enjoy your lunch, and thanks for everything. You are the king of the atomic age we love above all things.

I look into the sky and see you smile

Each time a young mind leaps between the stars.

August 22, 1920 — June 5, 2012

img2720.jpg

Two weeks ago I picked up a hardcover copy of Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales at a neighborhood yard sale. Think I'll have to crack it open tonight.

Thanks Ray. RIP

This is a hard day indeed. Ray was a hero of mine, and I considered him a friend, though I had not seen him in over six years.

Truth be told, I guess anybody who ever spent five minutes with the man would have considered him a friend. He was just that kind of guy.

Edited by Weird Paper

3174026919_9ebb4dd3ac.jpg

I was very pleased with the EC comics that used his stories. They inspired me to go on a science fiction reading rampage while I was in high school. HIs stories were always some of the best along with Asimov, Henderson, Kuttner, Ellison, Sturgeon and many others.

Wikipedia's historical context for "There Will Come Soft Rains" is illuminating:

The story portrays a scene of obliteration, in which the human race has been destroyed by a nuclear bomb. The fear of the devastating effects of nuclear force was very applicable to the time period of the 1950s. The world was still recovering from the effects of World War II and events, such as the dropping of atomic bombs in Japan still seemed recent. In 1945, the United States released a nuclear bomb over the city of Hiroshima that destroyed nearly everything in the city. Three days later, Nagasaki was also bombed. Hundreds of thousands of people were killed in these bombings, either from direct impact or the deadly effects of radiation that killed them within a few years of the incident. Even though the war ended shortly after these events, the fear of retaliation and the increasing focus on the development of nuclear weapons by many military powers worldwide, produced fear in the minds of people. After the war, tension increased between the two major military powers of the time, the U.S.S.R. and the United States, culminating in the Cold War. This era was also a time of uncertainty, and the idea of being bombed with a nuclear weapon was a daily fear

This Peanuts strip from 1958 shows how routine the expectation was that we'd eventually have an atomic war. :o

Peanuts1958.gif

This is a hard day indeed. Ray was a hero of mine, and I considered him a friend, though I had not seen him in over six years.

Truth be told, I guess anybody who ever spent five minutes with the man would have considered him a friend. He was just that kind of guy.

I had a chance to meet him about a decade ago at a signing at a local book shop, but didn't take the time off work to do so. Bad call.

RIP Mr. Bradbury, your legend will live on.

The last article from Ray Bradbury :(

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/06/04/120604fa_fact_bradbury

When I was seven or eight years old, I began to read the science-fiction magazines that were brought by guests into my grandparents’ boarding house, in Waukegan, Illinois. Those were the years when Hugo Gernsback was publishing Amazing Stories, with vivid, appallingly imaginative cover paintings that fed my hungry imagination. Soon after, the creative beast in me grew when Buck Rogers appeared, in 1928, and I think I went a trifle mad that autumn. It’s the only way to describe the intensity with which I devoured the stories. You rarely have such fevers later in life that fill your entire day with emotion.