• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

A further note about Campbell Bros. and the original owner's home.

She knew the original homeowners and told me about the family. From her description I made my own conclusion about which room had most likely been the boy's rooom.

Regarding the comics I've posted thus far on these boards. They're all from a large collection purchased in 1973 from a gentleman in Washington, DC.

An interesting side note to the above story was the fact that the seller told me he'd found the entire collection tied in bundles and put out in the trash by a neighbor.

Who do you think it was that had tied the comics up in bundles and put them out on the curb to be picked up as trash? Do you think it could have been that little boy himself thirty years later?

Hey Bangzoom, did you give a total count on the entire collection?

This is a guess: maybe something in the neighborhood of 1000? The collection is still intact so I could sit down and start counting...

How far into the forties does this Campbell Bros. collection extend? I take it that you were purchasing Dell funny animal comics in the late fifties. What therefore is the cutoff point overall for your entire collection?

???

Edited by Hepcat

A further note about Campbell Bros. and the original owner's home.

She knew the original homeowners and told me about the family. From her description I made my own conclusion about which room had most likely been the boy's rooom.

Regarding the comics I've posted thus far on these boards. They're all from a large collection purchased in 1973 from a gentleman in Washington, DC.

An interesting side note to the above story was the fact that the seller told me he'd found the entire collection tied in bundles and put out in the trash by a neighbor.

Who do you think it was that had tied the comics up in bundles and put them out on the curb to be picked up as trash? Do you think it could have been that little boy himself thirty years later?

Hey Bangzoom, did you give a total count on the entire collection?

This is a guess: maybe something in the neighborhood of 1000? The collection is still intact so I could sit down and start counting...

How far into the forties does this Campbell Bros. collection extend? I take it that you were purchasing Dell funny animal comics in the late fifties. What therefore is the cutoff point overall for your entire collection?

It's interesting that you brought up the subject

Recently I was flipping through a book about comic strips that I had checked out from the library and discovered a photo of a 1943 D ick Tracy Sunday page with the Campbell Brothers store stamp on it.

campbellbrosnewspaper.jpg

For comparison sake, here is the store stamp on the back cover of one of the comic books I purchased 40 years ago.

CampbellBrosComic1GA.jpg

I wonder who was the source for that? (shrug)

In answer to your questions Hepcat, I'd estimate the collection numbered approximately 1000+ books. I'd have to start looking through old notebooks to give you a more exact number.

Regarding who it was that put the bundles in the trash: I have no idea.

I've purchased many comics through the years, that was just one particular collection. I've got lots of stuff I purchased from a variety of different sources.

There is no specific cutoff date to my collection. I collect EC comics, pulps, movie posters, underground comix, and anything else that strikes my fancy. :)

Incidentally, here is 2008 Google Maps photo of the building that housed the Campbell Bros store as it was undergoing renovations

campbellbros2008.jpg

...and here is a 1988 photograph I took of the site.

CampbellBrosStoreGA.jpg

Recently I was flipping through a book about comic strips that I had checked out from the library and discovered a photo of a 1943 D ick Tracy Sunday page with the Campbell Brothers store stamp on it.

Awesome coincidence!

:o

What was the title of the book anyway?

???

...and here is a 1988 photograph I took of the site.

I like the neighbourhood!

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat