• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Once again making the road trip to Cross Plains, TX for Robert E. Howard Days. Last night I had the good fortune to enjoy the hospitality of our own Yellowkid, Rich Olson. We had a great time geeking out over comics as always!

IMG_20130605_055645.jpg

The cases are those plastic 11x14 picture frame with cardboard inserts to hold the picture (or comic) up against the front. They work great for oversized books and can be bought at Hobby Lobby and other similar places. Sometimes even at Wally-World.

From left to right, Donald Duck linen-like, Wise Little Hen linen-like, Donald Duck Bubble Pipe one-shot, Donald Duck linen-like, Pluto Saves the Ship Large Feature Comic #7, Donald Duck Large Feature Comic #16, Dumbo Large Feature Comic #19, and Donald Duck Large Feature Comic #20.

The Pluto book was actually Barks' first comic book work and he collaborated with Jack Hannah and Nick George.

All of the Large Feature Comics are fairly hard to find, especially in nice condition. Even the Bubble Pipe one-shot is hard to find but the linen-like books are fairly common.

I sent Jeff a good picture that is much clearer and he will probably post it while he is at Howard Days.

Once again making the road trip to Cross Plains, TX for Robert E. Howard Days. Last night I had the good fortune to enjoy the hospitality of our own Yellowkid, Rich Olson. We had a great time geeking out over comics as always!

IMG_20130605_055645.jpg

jeff...let me know next time you are going to Richard so you can swing by and pick me up

Rolled into Cross Plains last night where I found a few of my other early bird friends. It didn't talk long for the pulps and Irish whiskey to come out.

36west.jpg

Al Harron, Howard researcher and blogger from Scotland, with REH poetry expert Barbara Barrett.

IMG_20130605_224108_457.jpg

Bill, "Black Indy" Cavalier, a fixture in REH fandom for decades and the editor of REHupa, spicing it up.

IMG_20130605_224131_874.jpg

Here are some photos I posted a few years back of the covers of some early Weird Tales which contain Howard's first published work in that magazine.

weirdtales_1.jpg

July 1925 - "Spear and Fang"

August 1925 - "In the Forest of Villefere"

weirdtales_2.jpg

April 1926 - "Wolfshead"

January 1927 - "The Lost Race"

weirdtales_3.jpg

May 1927 - "The Songs of the Bats" (verse)

October 1927 - "The Ride of the Falume" (verse)

Here's another old photo.

The January issue contains Robert E. Howard's "The Shadow of the Vulture" which is the only pulp appearance of Red Sonja (named Red Sonya in the story).

magiccarpet2.jpg

The Magic Carpet Magazine (October 1933, January 1934)