• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

2607776432_e97c649a3d_o.jpg

I remember your mention of Webster and all three, Dodd, Williams and Webster, seem similar in style. I have a book of Webster cartoons somewhere but haven't seen it since I purchased it during my vacation in South Carolina.

Edited by BB-Gun

9473500133_282d3ec3a9_c.jpg

I am still a fan of Marcoux and his Supersnipe strip but it is nice to see other things that he drew.

Thanks for posting that strip. :applause:

I'd read in one of Ron Goulart's books about Marcoux's work on Toddy but I'd never actually seen one before now.

YKoriginalart11221896email.jpg

Yellow Kid original art is extremely rare and today I was very fortunate to have a generous person give me this piece of the original art for the 11/22/1896 Sunday paper. She contacted me a few days ago and said she had found it in an old family scrapbook and contacted me because of my Yellow Kid web site. We exchanged a few nice emails and the next thing I knew, she said she would like me to have it and it arrived today. If you have the Yellow Kid book by Kitchen Sink, it is plate No. 50, which shows the Yellow Kid in ten different situations. This is the upper right hand corner of the page. My best guess is that Outcault cut out the ten poses and then signed each of them to give to friends and fans. Yellow Kid Sunday tear sheets are fairly rare, but the original art is extremely rare. To have such a nice piece hand colored and signed by Outcault is something I never dreamed would happen and I wanted to share it.

YKEaselBacksN-1email.jpg

Now that Jeff has shown me the easy way to insert pictures, I would also like to share my Yellow Kid easel back collection. The pins were published in a variety of formats, but the most unusual and popular are the first 39 published with a wire rim and an easel on the back to let them stand. It has taken many years but I have them all now except #2. If anyone can help me find a #2, I would really like to complete this set.

Yellow Kid original art is extremely rare and today I was very fortunate to have a generous person give me this piece of the original art for the 11/22/1896 Sunday paper. She contacted me a few days ago and said she had found it in an old family scrapbook and contacted me because of my Yellow Kid web site. We exchanged a few nice emails and the next thing I knew, she said she would like me to have it and it arrived today. If you have the Yellow Kid book by Kitchen Sink, it is plate No. 50, which shows the Yellow Kid in ten different situations. This is the upper right hand corner of the page. My best guess is that Outcault cut out the ten poses and then signed each of them to give to friends and fans. Yellow Kid Sunday tear sheets are fairly rare, but the original art is extremely rare. To have such a nice piece hand colored and signed by Outcault is something I never dreamed would happen and I wanted to share it.

An incredible piece and what a marvelous act of generosity on the part of the gifter.

An incredible piece and what a marvelous act of generosity on the part of the gifter.

Really glad you were the recipient of this wonderful piece, Richard. :golfclap:

Thanks for sharing. That is brilliant. I can't imagine the thrill of actually owning a piece of original art by Outcault.

Just a quick note to announce that my copy of the eagerly awaited Dark Horse publication of Tarzan, The Sunday Comics, 1931-1933 arrived today. It is big, about 15 1/4" x 20 3/8", and beautiful. Dark Horse even designed a special shipping box for each copy to protect it. Suggested retail is $125 but Amazon has it in the low $80's and some of you might know where to get an even better price. The bottom line is that if you like Tarzan and/or old Sunday comics, you will want to get a copy. It really is nice.

This is getting some negative reviews on Amazon already.

Just a quick note to announce that my copy of the eagerly awaited Dark Horse publication of Tarzan, The Sunday Comics, 1931-1933 arrived today. It is big, about 15 1/4" x 20 3/8", and beautiful. Dark Horse even designed a special shipping box for each copy to protect it. Suggested retail is $125 but Amazon has it in the low $80's and some of you might know where to get an even better price. The bottom line is that if you like Tarzan and/or old Sunday comics, you will want to get a copy. It really is nice.

Tarzan by Foster is great stuff. :whee:

9488450383_db47f4b5e8_c.jpg

9491242932_9b45435fb1_c.jpg

Tarzan by Foster is great stuff when the color's in register, that is. :mad:

Tarzan by Foster is great stuff. :whee:

9488450383_db47f4b5e8_c.jpg

9491242932_9b45435fb1_c.jpg

True. It is better in register but Tip Top had problems with all of the detail in some stories.

1801114481_dc1edb1644_o.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]

Just Amazing..![/font]

:o:golfclap:

Dang! Haven't opened my copy yet, but this doesn't sound good. I agree with the reviewer that in general Fantagraphics has been running circles around Dark Horse.