• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

YKoriginalart11221896email.jpg

Yellow Kid original art is extremely rare and today I was very fortunate to have a generous person give me this piece of the original art for the 11/22/1896 Sunday paper. She contacted me a few days ago and said she had found it in an old family scrapbook and contacted me because of my Yellow Kid web site. We exchanged a few nice emails and the next thing I knew, she said she would like me to have it and it arrived today. If you have the Yellow Kid book by Kitchen Sink, it is plate No. 50, which shows the Yellow Kid in ten different situations. This is the upper right hand corner of the page. My best guess is that Outcault cut out the ten poses and then signed each of them to give to friends and fans. Yellow Kid Sunday tear sheets are fairly rare, but the original art is extremely rare. To have such a nice piece hand colored and signed by Outcault is something I never dreamed would happen and I wanted to share it.

Such a great story Rich; and quite the thrill for the ultimate Yellow Kid collector.

Thought I would check with the experts here as this is my first issue of Science Fiction Digest fanzine, and I know virtually nothing about them.

Apparently this particular issue (1#7) is one of the relatively common earlier issues (seller related that Ackerman had a short stack of them).

Still, I am fascinated with it just the same.

Love the content, personalities, full size format, and the off-white quality of the interior pages!

b295496a-0bac-4364-ba0e-938cb980a176_zpseb94a0f8.jpg

Thought I would check with the experts here as this is my first issue of Science Fiction Digest fanzine, and I know virtually nothing about them.

Apparently this particular issue (1#7) is one of the relatively common earlier issues (seller related that Ackerman had a short stack of them).

Still, I am fascinated with it just the same.

Love the content, personalities, full size format, and the off-white quality of the interior pages!

b295496a-0bac-4364-ba0e-938cb980a176_zpseb94a0f8.jpg

Did Julius Schwartz name the Silver Age Atom after his old co-editor Ray Palmer?

Knowing my old interest in Centaurs and new interest in fanzines, I rec'd this information from D ick Swan:

Two of the most interesting things I've seen in comics as they relate to SF Zines were in Centaur. In the July 1939 issue of Amazing Mystery Funnies the inside front cover an article acknowledges that "Uncle Joe" has seen SF Zines done by kids and he would like other kids who have done these to send these to him. I think he was looking for talent for his Comic Company. One of the kids was John Giunta, who he hired to work for him, and there were some writers who came from the SF Zines who also started working in comics in 1940.

Here's the inside cover from Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/7:

683e788c-278b-4dfd-b5f5-f8205f14e2cc_zps539f3be0.jpg

More interesting even, 6 Months later in the Dec 1939 issue of AMF there is a 2-page article published in the comic written by John Giunta with a little history of the SF Zines. The one from December is an incredibly cool article, and subtitled "A New Department for Boys and Girls Who Publish Their Own Magazines", so there may be more. I would really like it if anyone can tell me about any other articles.

Sadly I currently don't have a copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/12; Giunta's piece sounds fascinating if anyone can provide a scan. :wishluck:

Hi all-

Over at The Beat, I just posted an essay about Jerry Siegel using a ghost writer -- something that's been rumored for years, among a few fan historians and in a CBM article in the '90s by Bob Beerbohm. But now, thanks to John L. Coker III, there is finally proof:

proof.jpg

If you've read my new bio on Siegel and Shuster SUPER BOYS (and why not? ha) then you know I have a whole chapter devoted to Kantor, who might be the ultimate ghost in comics. I have a follow-up post on my blog here, with some art and other documents.

BZ and others (like that great fanzine scan above) have posted some great history here over the years, so thought it would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Brad

Here's the inside cover from Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/7:

683e788c-278b-4dfd-b5f5-f8205f14e2cc_zps539f3be0.jpg

More interesting even, 6 Months later in the Dec 1939 issue of AMF there is a 2-page article published in the comic written by John Giunta with a little history of the SF Zines. The one from December is an incredibly cool article, and subtitled "A New Department for Boys and Girls Who Publish Their Own Magazines", so there may be more. I would really like it if anyone can tell me about any other articles.

Sadly I currently don't have a copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/12; Giunta's piece sounds fascinating if anyone can provide a scan. :wishluck:

I have that issue.

I'm currently on vacation with my family. I will be returning home Saturday and can post a scan if no one else has posted one before then.

Hi all-

Over at The Beat, I just posted an essay about Jerry Siegel using a ghost writer -- something that's been rumored for years, among a few fan historians and in a CBM article in the '90s by Bob Beerbohm. But now, thanks to John L. Coker III, there is finally proof:

proof.jpg

If you've read my new bio on Siegel and Shuster SUPER BOYS (and why not? ha) then you know I have a whole chapter devoted to Kantor, who might be the ultimate ghost in comics. I have a follow-up post on my blog here, with some art and other documents.

BZ and others (like that great fanzine scan above) have posted some great history here over the years, so thought it would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad, back in the 1980's I corresponded with Sam Moskowitz about Bernard Kantor. When I return home I'll see if I can find any of our old letters.

...(like that great fanzine scan above)...

Glad you enjoyed the Science Fiction Digest scan, Brad.

My initial take on these early fanzines are that they are remarkably intelligent (considering how young many of the participants are), filled with wide-eyed raw passion for the subject at hand, eager to be noticed (and appreciated), while also conveying a wonderful sense of exploration (and discovery).

Such transcendent paper time capsules I have rarely encountered.

9525361128_cae8e909ff_c.jpg

Picked up a copy of Lupoff's book and am very happy about it.

It isn't really golden age (published in 1988) but it is about golden age comics.

I am a fan of murder mystery novels so this one worked for me.

The special edition also has signatures of Lupoff and Schomburg and Robbins and etc.

Edited by BB-Gun

off the top of my head: RAP had got hit by a truck as a kid & it stunted his growth. the fact that he was a 'small' person made the homage even more just... When RAP became editor of Amazing in 1938 he revitalized it nicely...

I notice Palmer also penned an article, "Spilling the Atoms", in that fanzine.

It isn't really golden age (published in 1988) but it is about golden age comics.

The special edition also has signatures of Lupoff and Schomburg and Robbins and etc.

Hey! I have one of those as well.

Have you read it yet? Pretty good yarn with solid comic book credentials.

Now, the one I've got is a slipcased first edition (hardcover,of course) with the accompanying comic book, but mine's not signed.

Wish I'd known that there were autographed copies around 25 years ago :sorry:

...(like that great fanzine scan above)...

Glad you enjoyed the Science Fiction Digest scan, Brad.

My initial take on these early fanzines are that they are remarkably intelligent (considering how young many of the participants are), filled with wide-eyed raw passion for the subject at hand, eager to be noticed (and appreciated), while also conveying a wonderful sense of exploration (and discovery).

Such transcendent paper time capsules I have rarely encountered.

I was driving out east of LA in Riverside a few weeks back and it reminded me that Fred Patten had donated his fanzine collection to UC Riverside. Fred was an early fan who contributed to Capa Alpha and wrote many letters to many fanzines. I discovered a couple of years ago that at least in the mid sixties he lived blocks away from where I currently live.

My time is in short supply between work and two kids in high school but I have notched up another to do item when retirement comes. I bet there are some interesting treasures out there.

Hey! I have one of those as well.

Have you read it yet? Pretty good yarn with solid comic book credentials.

Now, the one I've got is a slipcased first edition (hardcover,of course) with the accompanying comic book, but mine's not signed.

Wish I'd known that there were autographed copies around 25 years ago :sorry:

I remember reading about the special edition in the CBG back in 1988 but the copy I actually read was from the library and it didn't include the comic by Schomburg and Robbins.

I'll have to read it again because the rest of my memory of the book has faded.

The signed plate looks like the copy below but I have edition 159 and the copy for sale at Heritage was 89 out of 500.

9528004513_7f898f7002_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun