• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

OriginalArtGA.jpg

Unless I missed it in someone else's post....noone has mentioned that beautiful Alex Raymond Secret Agent X-9 strip.....what is wrong with you people? Heathens! insane.gif

My God, what an assortment of museum quality items you have BZ.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. cool.gif

I know this has been mentioned before but this should really be linked on the OA boards, amazing stuff! Any Johnny Comet dailies or Sundays?

At an early NY Comicon, I noticed Frazetta's wife walk into an empty exhibit room, carrying a stack of original art.

I followed her into the room and asked if the artwork (Johnny Comet dailys) was for sale. She said they were. The price was $35 each. I went through them all and purchased the one I thought was the best.

Unfortunately, I sold it a few years later for $60. cry2.gif

BZ, in another thread you had asked about Burrel's Mile High Planet run. Were you still actively pursuing books at the time the Mile High (or Church) collection was entering the market? I realize that you were buying collections and probably don't have any of these, but after they came out prices in the guides really started to jump for a few years. I was wondering if this affected you pursuit of collections? Interestingly, around '81 or '82 golden age prices really stalled for a few years and didn't seem to jump again until the early '90's.

BZ, in another thread you had asked about Burrel's Mile High Planet run. Were you still actively pursuing books at the time the Mile High (or Church) collection was entering the market? I realize that you were buying collections and probably don't have any of these, but after they came out prices in the guides really started to jump for a few years. I was wondering if this affected you pursuit of collections? Interestingly, around '81 or '82 golden age prices really stalled for a few years and didn't seem to jump again until the early '90's.

That's the period when I began to get more interested in movie posters. A few of the 1930s poster services were still around and I was picking up 1-sheets for $1 each, 3-sheets for $3, etc.

I purchased quite a bit of material from Duncan Poster Service in Dallas. I would go through movie reference books and make lists of what I wanted. Duncan would then package up whatever they had in stock and send it to me with a bill.

Ah, the good old days. confetti.gifcheers.gif

That's the period when I began to get more interested in movie posters. A few of the 1930s poster services were still around and I was picking up 1-sheets for $1 each, 3-sheets for $3, etc.

I purchased quite a bit of material from Duncan Poster Service in Dallas. I would go through movie reference books and make lists of what I wanted. Duncan would then package up whatever they had in stock and send it to me with a bill.

Ah, the good old days. confetti.gifcheers.gif

The comic collectors and movie collector were very intertwined down here. A guy named Earl Blair ran the old HoustonCons. He started Nostalgia Merchant, one of the first companies to mass produce VHS of vintage movies. Lots of movie paper floated around. Unfortunately the poster bug didn't hit me 'til much later. My accountant has very little to do with collecting anymore, but kept one thing...a rare variation "Casablanca" one sheet. I remember seeing a check for $500 for an "It's a Wonderful Life" one sheet while working at Camelot. The name on the check...Burt Reynolds! Kinda cool. One of my biggest blunders was passing on a "Snow White" lobby card set...for $1000.

Hindsight really is 20/20.

The comic collectors and movie collector were very intertwined down here. A guy named Earl Blair ran the old HoustonCons. He started Nostalgia Merchant, one of the first companies to mass produce VHS of vintage movies. Lots of movie paper floated around. Unfortunately the poster bug didn't hit me 'til much later. My accountant has very little to do with collecting anymore, but kept one thing...a rare variation "Casablanca" one sheet. I remember seeing a check for $500 for an "It's a Wonderful Life" one sheet while working at Camelot. The name on the check...Burt Reynolds! Kinda cool. One of my biggest blunders was passing on a "Snow White" lobby card set...for $1000.

Yeah, if I could only redo some things.

At one point I owned around 200 pages of Marvel artwork, mostly complete stories.

In the beginning I was selling 5 page Ditko fantasy stories for $60. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

At one point I owned around 200 pages of Marvel artwork, mostly complete stories.

In the beginning I was selling 5 page Ditko fantasy stories for $60. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

My excuse was I misplaced my crystal ball for about twenty years...what was yours?

My excuse was I misplaced my crystal ball for about twenty years...what was yours?

My vow to myself not to sell my GA.

Also, I didn't see much of an upside for the value of original art. I thought Marvel (and other publishers) were going to dump thousands of pages into the marketplace at some point. gossip.gifscrewy.gif

OriginalArtGA.jpg

Wow! That picture has to be the biggest teaser you ever posted. The Prince Valiant is my own favorite. I only own original art by Carl Barks, but if I were to branch out to another artist some day it would have to be Hal Foster. Someone recently posted the original art to Sunday #36 on comicartfans.com. The art is from the childhood storyline and it one of my favorite pieces on the whole site.

Wish and hope you will show and tell us a bit more some day. It all looks like really first rate pieces that were picked very carefully. The KK looks like a classic example and a '51(!) Peanuts with Snoopy in every panel, well, ...

that Peanuts strip is just...oh my...

late 1951?

If I remember correctly, it's November 1951.

just now noticed the "11/3" in the lower right corner.

breathtaking. a fantastic piece. hail.gif

My vow to myself not to sell my GA.

Also, I didn't see much of an upside for the value of original art. I thought Marvel (and other publishers) were going to dump thousands of pages into the marketplace at some point. gossip.gifscrewy.gif

Who could have ever guessed that original Marvel and DC art would be worth what it is going for these days? Unbelievable. I never bought comic art because the black and white line art wasn't what appealed to my about comics. It was all about the colors. I have a couple of Walt Kelly Pogo sunday pages because I really like the gags. There are a couple of things that I might get if the price was right. But I much prefer color.

Unbelievable. I never bought comic art because the black and white line art wasn't what appealed to my about comics. It was all about the colors.

Same with me. I just have no passion for the stuff.

Everybody "missed" on art because the prices for art have just exploded in the past 5-7 years. The stuff I've had and gotten rid of to buy more comics... foreheadslap.gif

Still, an 11/3/51 Peanuts strip. Oh wow. Where did you get it? Is there a cool story behind it?

Does this conversation about original art and it exploding value, vindicate such original art proponents as Krazykat? I missed a lot of his posts, but it seemed like that was all he talked about. Also, are there special needs for the preservation of original artwork? The appeal of original art for me, other than it's historical significance, is that it could be treated as artwork and displayed.

Everybody "missed" on art because the prices for art have just exploded in the past 5-7 years. The stuff I've had and gotten rid of to buy more comics... foreheadslap.gif

Still, an 11/3/51 Peanuts strip. Oh wow. Where did you get it? Is there a cool story behind it?

You are so right. We had some incredible pieces of art in my comic store as recent as the early to mid 1990's and we couldn't sell it. I mean COVERS that I couldn't get $250 on. I thought they were cool as heck, but I lost confidence in their market value and dumped them. Wish I would have waited a few more years.... crazy.gif

Does this conversation about original art and it exploding value, vindicate such original art proponents as Krazykat? I missed a lot of his posts, but it seemed like that was all he talked about. Also, are there special needs for the preservation of original artwork? The appeal of original art for me, other than it's historical significance, is that it could be treated as artwork and displayed.

my opinion is that the core of what Brad Savage (KK) talks about has some merit, but this is obscured by his hyperbole and myopism.

KK wasn't banned because he promotes the collecting of OA. he was banned because he claims, and continues to claim, that buying comics is a waste of time and only a fool would "invest" in comics. it's all about the $$$$ for KK