• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I know enough to know my own limitations, and whilst I enjoy this era of books immensely I know I will forever be playing catchup. So it makes it all the more impressive to me how Scrooge has nailed everything you have thrown at him.

I am impressed , humbled and entertained at the same time.

(worship)

Ze-

Crackajack Funnies # 26

You did it again.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Amazing.

I hope that was one you had to do some digging to identify.

Otherwise we have to assune you have Gerber's books completely memorized.

Yup, that one was a challenge. My first impulse said it was a Street & Smith book à la Red Dragon or such. Didn't find anything there. Then I looked more closely at the inking for the bush and changed my tune to Dell and one of the long-running series. From there, I thought it must be one of the ones I haven't looked at much ... i.e., Crackajack Funnies.

Great job, Scrooge.

I saw that it was Dell and actually perused the Crackajack gallery in GCD but just didn't look closely enough.

Crackajack Funnies # 26

You did it again.

Amazing.

Yup, that one was a challenge. My first impulse said it was a Street & Smith book à la Red Dragon or such. Didn't find anything there. Then I looked more closely at the inking for the bush and changed my tune to Dell and one of the long-running series. From there, I thought it must be one of the ones I haven't looked at much ... i.e., Crackajack Funnies.

Great job, Scrooge.

I saw that it was Dell and actually perused the Crackajack gallery in GCD but just didn't look closely enough.

Cool ... but I'm glad you missed it :devil:

One thing I like about the more recent challenges BZ has thrown at us is that we're never sure how large the partial image we're seeing is in the actual cover. The Captain Marvel one was really tricky for that since the image shown was actually a rather small part of the cover itself. It adds to the challenge and makes it more fun as a result.

Crackajack Funnies # 26

You did it again.

Amazing.

Great job, Scrooge.

Cool ... but I'm glad you missed it :devil:

One thing I like about the more recent challenges BZ has thrown at us is that we're never sure how large the partial image we're seeing is in the actual cover. The Captain Marvel one was really tricky for that since the image shown was actually a rather small part of the cover itself. It adds to the challenge and makes it more fun as a result.

You've made enormous progress in just the couple years that I've known you via the boards. Your unusual quest for "The Month", like Paratrooper's for all thing troopy, has been excellent one to educate you about comics.

You've made enormous progress in just the couple years that I've known you via the boards. Your unusual quest for "The Month", like Paratrooper's for all thing troopy, has been excellent one to educate you about comics.

That indeed is correct and yet ... there is still so much more to learn. The person we should all be impressed with is Moondog when he nailed the one with the Spook Comics # 1 interior. That alone deserves (worship) rather than looking up books in the GCD once you've identified the artist (Biro on the Daredevil) / series (Batman or Captain Marvel ones) / company (Dell on this last one) like I do.

That indeed is correct and yet ... there is still so much more to learn. The person we should all be impressed with is Moondog when he nailed the one with the Spook Comics # 1 interior. That alone deserves (worship) rather than looking up books in the GCD once you've identified the artist (Biro on the Daredevil) / series (Batman or Captain Marvel ones) / company (Dell on this last one) like I do.

But in fairness, Moondog has been a dealer for 30+ years leafing through tens of thousands of comics. Hard to beat an advantage like that unless you're a completist collector which, these days, is pretty darn tough to do for pre-1956 books.

Edited by adamstrange

Crackajack Funnies # 26

You did it again.

Amazing.

The man is simply amazing. :golfclap:

For those with an interest.

Here is a brief interview with Paul Karasik, author of the Fletcher Hanks book,

"I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets."

Interview

I picked up my copy at SD Con and it's a beautiful book. Wish I had the smarts to check the schedule so I could compliment Paul in person and get the book signed.

Interview

I picked up my copy at SD Con and it's a beautiful book. Wish I had the smarts to check the schedule so I could compliment Paul in person and get the book signed.

He was signing (and including an endplate sketch) at the Fantagraphics booth on Friday and apparently there was so much interest that Fantagraphics, Comic Relief and Bud Plant all sold out. Paul was also there on Saturday around noon. Very nice guy. Unfortunately I didn't bring my copy so no signature (or sketch) for me either. But sacentaur bought me the Fantomah T-Shirt!

Edited by MrBedrock

Interview

He was signing (and including an endplate sketch) at the Fantagraphics booth on Friday and apparently there was so much interest that Fantagraphics, Comic Relief and Bud Plant all sold out. Paul was also there on Saturday around noon. Very nice guy. Unfortunately I didn't bring my copy so no signature (or sketch) for me either. But sacentaur bought me the Fantomah T-Shirt!

How did I miss the t-shirt doh!

I showed the book to a friend of mine and told him to buy it but he snoozed and lost out when he went back on Friday to find it.

On a related topic, if BZ doesn't mind the interruption, I stopped by Sunday Press which has just published their second book. Like their name they are reprinting Sunday syndicated comics in near original size (16" x 21" :o ) The first is Little Nemo and the new one is Gasoline Alley.

Little Nemo is one of the finest strips ever produced and the whole package is superbly done. The Gasoline Alley strips cover the life of Skeezix from being a foundling to getting married. I had not understood how incredible the work on this strip was until I saw this book. The art, story and coloring make for an incredibly relaxed story of growing up and the joys and challenges of fatherhood. Chris Ware designed it and included some of his clever cut-outs plus there's lot of background and biographical information.

Thought they cost $100 bucks a piece, these are without a doubt the coolest reprint books I've seen.

Here's the link for those interested.

Sunday Press

walt.jpg

image_book.jpg

Back to your original scheduled thread with your host, Bangzoom! :foryou:

We carried the Little Nemo book in the store. The retail on it was $125. I was very leary of ordering a reprint book with that high of an SRP. But then I saw it and was blown away. It ended up winning awards for design and packaging. The repros are stunning. Full size and full color, just as they were originally printed. It is obviously a labor of love because, even at $125 it had to have cost a ton to put together, print and bind. There couldn't have been much money to be made on publishing it. We ended up ordering about 30 copies and completely sold out!

I'm a huge fan of Nemo but it was only when I saw it that I was compelled to buy it.

It's heartening to hear you sold that many copies, Richard. Hopefully you can sell a couple of the Gasoline Alleys when it comes out in Sep. (I already have mine because of purchasing an advance copy at the show -- I had them mailed out and they both arrived yesterday.)

I'm a huge fan of Nemo but it was only when I saw it that I was compelled to buy it.

It's heartening to hear you sold that many copies, Richard. Hopefully you can sell a couple of the Gasoline Alleys when it comes out in Sep. (I already have mine because of purchasing an advance copy at the show -- I had them mailed out and they both arrived yesterday.)

Is the Gasoline Alley in the same oversized format as the Nemo? It appears to be a little smaller and have a dust jacket.

Is the Gasoline Alley in the same oversized format as the Nemo? It appears to be a little smaller and have a dust jacket.

I'd like to know as well. I have refrained (sp?) from buying the Little Nemo collection because of its size! Since I already have the strips from the Evergreen collection (albeit of poorer repro quality), I don't want to face the headache of storing the larger reprints. Fortunately, my library has a copy so I was able to check it out to read some in that larger format but getting it from the library to the car was already a trial! I'd buy the Gasoline Alley book if it's smaller.

Same size (might vary by half an inch).

It does have a beautiful dust jacket (looks more impressive than the Nemo), the reverse side of which re-prints an original art page in b&w. Mine came with a poster but I think just the first x number sold will have that. Not sure whether all will have the Chris Ware cut-outs or not.

All in all I'm super pleased. I would be hard pressed to pick if I could only keep one.

I'd like to know as well. I have refrained (sp?) from buying the Little Nemo collection because of its size! Since I already have the strips from the Evergreen collection (albeit of poorer repro quality), I don't want to face the headache of storing the larger reprints. Fortunately, my library has a copy so I was able to check it out to read some in that larger format but getting it from the library to the car was already a trial! I'd buy the Gasoline Alley book if it's smaller.

Funny, one of things I like about the Nemo book is the size. I can understand how storage would be an issue though. You have to have some mighty tall bookshelves!

In the same vein as the above, Winsor McCay's, "Dream of the Rarebit Fiend" has just recently been reprinted.

Website Link

Here's some info from the press release:

The complete DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND (1904-1913) by Winsor McCay

as 'Silas', edited and annotated by Ulrich Merkl

Hardcover, handbound (the large horizontal format required handbinding,

making each copy a unique piece of superb craftsmanship)

464 pages (139 in color) + DVD

Illustrations: 1010 (219 in color, 791 in black & white)

Dimensions: 17 x 12 x 1.2 inches / 43,5 x 31 x 3 cm (horizontal format)

Weight: 9.5 pounds / 4,3 kg

Language: English

Cover price: euro 89.00 / $ 114.00

First edition: July 2007

The book contains reprints of the best 369 episodes, another 452 are

contained on the DVD accompanying the book.

DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND was a comic strip published in American

newspapers from 1904 to 1913.

Each episode presented the dream of some poor soul who had the

misfortune of partaking of Welsh Rarebit (a melted cheese toast)

before retiring, a decision that resulted in unusual and fantastic

dreams. In the last panel, the dreaming victim awakened, vowing never

to partake of Rarebit before bedtime again.

The strip was written and drawn by Winsor McCay (1867-1934), famous

for his “Little Nemo in Slumberland”. Other than Little Nemo, which

was addressed to children, and mainly lived from its spectacular

layouts, DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND focused on the plots, seen from a

decidedly adult point of view, and was devoted to adult nightmares

and phobias, making it one of the weirdest, most amazing and shocking

comic strips of all times, simply “the most bizarre newspaper feature

in American history” (Jeet Heer).

This book contains:

--- detailed information about both the life and works of Winsor

McCay, as well as the DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND series;

--- 369 reproductions of the best DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND

episodes, taken from the best available sources, digitally restored,

and reproduced to their original published size, most of them

reprinted for the first time since their original publication a

century ago;

--- 641 additional images (219 in color) illustrating the author's

life and work, and the historical and artistic background to

individual DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND episodes;

--- two articles by comic book historian Alfredo Castelli: 1/ “Dream

Travelers 1900-1947. Precursors and epigones of Winsor McCay”, and

2/ “A dreamer with his feet planted firmly on the ground”;

--- an article by dream worker Jeremy Taylor: Some archetypal

symbolic aspects of “DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND”;

+ a DVD with:

--- high resolution scans (8 or 3 MB each) of all 821 episodes known

to exist (including those not reprinted in the book);

--- a 600 page WORD file with a catalogue raisonné of all episodes,

containing a vast array of information about the individual episodes,

including chronological strip numbering, original publication dates,

later reprints, whereabouts of the original artwork, inspirations

used by Winsor McCay, later quotations taken from this strip, and

historical background information, & the complete text of the printed

book;

--- the surviving fragments from McCay's animated film Gertie on Tour

(c.1918-1921).

Trouble getting it to the car! lol

I would not have thought that a library would carry the book but glad they did. I have the Remco complete Little Nemo books and they are oversized and well done but they don't compare at all to the Sunday Press edition. It's the difference between watching a great 70mm epic movie in the theater vs. in your home. Size matters.

In the same vein as the above, Winsor McCay's "Dream of the Rarebit Fiend" has just recently been reprinted.

Website Link

Here's some info from the press release:

The complete DREAM OF THE RAREBIT FIEND (1904-1913) by Winsor McCay

as 'Silas', edited and annotated by Ulrich Merkl

A friend who bought this book absolutely raved about it! He considered it a bargain even at the steep price of $114 plus shipping. I'm already overflowing with so much "stuff" that I've resisted. Maybe I can talk the library onto buying it and the Nemo book, then borrow a pick-up truck to carry them home.

Jack