• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I am waiting on BZ to open up some of his runs, and then I will pounce too :baiting:

gator

I'm waiting for an offer of $850,000 for my AA 16.

:baiting:

set up in SD and folks will walk up to you with briefcases full of cash (or so I am told)! :)

gator

Edited by Detective27Kid

Somehow....massive collections and being "hung", don't really seem to inhabit the same area of thought.

Actually I think the two are linked rather closely. Aren't collections just extensions of our................. :blush:

Somehow....massive collections and being "hung", don't really seem to inhabit the same area of thought.

Actually I think the two are linked rather closely. Aren't collections just extensions of our................. :blush:

.... our what? :baiting:

gator

See, I thought that was cars and guns. I assumed comics and pulps were a more cerebral pursuit.

See, I thought that was cars and guns. I assumed comics and pulps were a more cerebral pursuit.

I think it is now considered macho to be a nerd.

At least that is what my girlfriend tells me.

I think it is now considered macho to be a nerd.

At least that is what my girlfriend tells me.

strange, that is what she told me too :)

gator

Back in the mid 1960's I bought multiple copies of many comics and then boxed them up and put them away.

I was thinking about them today and wondered where they had ended up. So, this evening I began digging through a few boxes and turned up some surprises.

Sitting on top of one box was Jumbo # 7 (poor condition) and the front cover to Jumbo # 4. I had forgotten I owned them.

Also in the box are dozens of fanzines dating back to the days of EC fandom in the late 50's and bundles of old correspondence (including letters from Carl Barks, Robert Crumb, and other cartoonists).

It was like discovering my own personal time capsule.

jumbo4.jpg

jumbo7.jpg

Nice story BZ, and let me be the first to say how fun it would be to dig around your basement and find some stuff in boxes that even you forgot about until today.

That's what collecting is all about to me. Thinking of something, then being able to go pull something out of a stashed away box that brings you right back to a specific time in your past.

Ze-

That's what collecting is all about to me. Thinking of something, then being able to go pull something out of a stashed away box that brings you right back to a specific time in your past.

It certainly does that.

I was just now reading a 1974 letter from an old penpal of mine. He was talking about Sci-Fi and comic apas, college, fanzines, studying for the CPA exam, films, etc.

It brought back a rush of memories. I felt like I could sit down and write him a letter and that the last 33 years hadn't passed.

It was kind of shocking because it was quite impossible. He died in 1975.

This ad ran in DC comics for a couple of months back in late 1938 and early 1939.

Has anyone ever seen a copy of this course?

I know it was written so I assume it was published.

Believe it or not, I could swear I saw this coursebook on ebay fairly recently. It caught my eye, because I'd certainly never seen it before. It was dated 1938, and looked to be a bunch of typed pages, or copies of typed pages. Just checked the completed auctions, but nothing. Anyone else see this?

Believe it or not, I could swear I saw this coursebook on ebay fairly recently. It caught my eye, because I'd certainly never seen it before. It was dated 1938, and looked to be a bunch of typed pages, or copies of typed pages. Just checked the completed auctions, but nothing. Anyone else see this?

That listing was for the Library of Congress copyright deposit of it.

The seller put it up for sale several times without attracting any bids so I contacted him and negotiated a price I was willing to pay.

The course was written and it was advertised for sale so I would assume copies were sold. Presumably not many, but some.

I was wondering if any have ever surfaced.