• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

She's lucky that the last remaining threads of her shirt just happen to cover the right spots.

The inside illos are more revealing. :blush:

;)

A digital camera could capture those illustrations without damaging the book......god I'm pathetic tonight.

A digital camera could capture those illustrations without damaging the book

You would cheat on Betty?

blckhandbday.jpg

:signfunny:

:applause: showing the Spicys. That Spicy Adventure is such a great cover. Really gives the tone to that segment of the pulp market :blush:

I hope people won't mind my showing some scans of more Spicy's I have laying around. I know it's never the same as seeing BZ's beauties but heck seems people have a hankering for some naughty spiciness tonight -

57026-SMSAug1936.jpg.6e4967dbd053676f240f954ad589a870.jpg

57027-SMSJan1937.jpg.63d80d1594f4cc083c5bfc5677ccbe77.jpg

spicyadventure.jpg

I'm not a pulpy guy per se, but that's one of my favorite covers since I saw it in 'Men of Tomorrow'.

I used to have a handful of Spicy's - this cover so makes me want to start buying them again.

I afraid to say what this cover makes me want to do........

Yeah, get a nose ring - I had the same urge, too.

Prior to getting started in the comics business, Harry Donenfeld (National Periodicals) was the publisher of pulp magazines.

The most famous of his titles are Spicy Adventure, Spicy Detective, and Spicy Mystery Stories.

The following scans are the first newsstand issue of each.

spicyadventure.jpg

November 1934

Spicy Adventure Stories is my favorite pulp title. With this cover you can see why!!! :cloud9:.

Thanks BZ as always an impeccable copy too!!! :applause:

One last thing, Is this the first issue??? I've got a data base of Spicy adv. covers and the Nov. 1934 issue is the oldest one I have in my data-base (same cover as yours).

However I've got an ashcan copy (made in the 70's I think) of a July 1934 issue and I was wondering where that stands in the publishing history!!!! When was the 1st issue published???

The November 1934 (Vol 1 #2) issue is the first newsstand issue. I've read that a July 1934 (Vol1 #1) ashcan edition (w/b&w cover) has been discovered, but I don't know any specifics about it.

Similar story with the Spicy Mystery. The first newsstand release was June 1935 (Vol1 #2). However, a July 1934 (Vol1 #1) ashcan (w/b&w cover) has turned up for this title, too.

spicyadventureashcan.jpg

spicymysteryashcan.jpg

As per Bookery's Guide to the Pulps, the Nov. 1934 issue BZ posted is vol. 1 # 2 but is still considered the first issue. "Vol. 1 # 1 exists only as a 16-page B&W publisher's "ashcan" edition. A few copies may turn up for sale, but are considered an associational item rather than a true pulp. Modern reprints of this issue are common."

Also mentioned is that, "from about 1936-1937 two variations of each issue occur. Issues with a star printed on the cover next to the month have somewhat censored interior illustrations - e.g. lingerie drawn over a topless female as she appears in the non-star version. Stars on the covers before and after this period do not appear to have the same meaning. As differences in scarcity between the two versions of each issue have not been determined, to date there is no evidence of any value variance between them. Due to censorship pressures, the title was cancelled and renewed with fresh numbering as the tamer Speed Adventure."

You can bet that there is variance. Who here collecting Spicys would not pay more for the uncensored "un-starred" version?

The November 1934 (Vol 1 #2) issue is the first newsstand issue. I see on the Internet that apparently a July 1934 (Vol1 #1) ashcan issue (w/b&w cover) has been discovered, but I don't know any specifics about it.

Similar story with the Spicy Mystery. The first newsstand release was June 1935 (Vol1 #2). However, a July 1934 (Vol1 #1) ashcan (w/b&w cover) has turned up for this title, too.

spicyadventureashcan.jpg

spicymysteryashcan.jpg

That's exactly what I've got BZ!!! You're amazing!!!

I also have another called Snappy Adv.Stories (see scan).

snappyAdventureStoriesashcan.jpg

So anyway so I don't get confused, the Nov. 1934 issue is the actual 1st issue of Spicy Adv. Stories. Thanks BZ & Scrooge for explaining. This is why these Boards are fantastic.

Re: Snappy Adventure Stories Ashcan.

Funnily enough the actual pulp was a one-shot in May 1935. There were 2 other Snappy ashcans: Snappy Detective and Snappy Mystery. There was also a one-shot Snappy Detective Stories in May 1935 but no Snappy Mystery pulp ever saw the light of day.

Funnily enough the actual pulp was a one-shot in May 1935. There were 2 other Snappy ashcans: Snappy Detective and Snappy Mystery. There was also a one-shot Snappy Detective Stories in May 1935 but no Snappy Mystery pulp ever saw the light of day.

Interestingly enough, there was a Snappy Detective Mysteries which ran for two issues

(May and June 1935). I have the second issue. It then continued for three more issues under the title, Sizzling Detective Mysteries.

You're a walkin', talkin' encyclopedia Scrooge!!!

I'm really sorry to hear that you're not going to Chicago this year!!! :(

I would have enjoyed meeting you and talking comics with you!!!

lol No, I just spend too much $$$ on reference books!! No way I know all this off hand but discussion on the boards leads me to explore my reference library (thumbs u

Yup, I won't be in Chicago :mad: and only realized the conflict yesterday :frustrated:

Here's one for BZ. I've got to assume he has a copy due to the Octopus on the cover ...

57029-SAS-August1936.jpg.72121ec76b2132e3cb9df92977a6591f.jpg

Interestingly enough, there was a Snappy Detective Mysteries which ran for two issues

(May and June 1935). I have the second issue. It then continued for three more issues under the title, Sizzling Detective Mysteries.

I understand that those were put out by Henry Marcus who a few years earlier was putting out the better known Tattle Tales, Bedtime Stories as well as Cupid's Capers.

I understand that those were put out by Henry Marcus who a few years earlier was putting out the better known Tattle Tales, Bedtime Stories as well as Cupid's Capers.

I have a nice collection of those titles. :juggle:

Btw, not only the illos were changed in the Starred version but also the text, see below. Also, while all three Spicy Detective, Adventure and Western had a censored version, Spicy Mystery never did, presumably b/c the editors knew that with the horror included in the book, the mag never had a chance of being accepted, censorship or not.

If you read the censored and uncensored, you can see that ... yeah ... the censorship board really had a leg to stand on questioning these mags ...

57030-Spicy-Altered-Text.jpg.9474eaa6324244b38532d0096ffdff82.jpg