• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I don't think I've ever seen the feature before. Looks like fun.

Jack

LIAR!! I introduced you to Jill back then. How quick are you to forget Foxy Jill (tsk)

So many hot science babes. How can you expect me to keep track of them all?

Jack

Jack,

Yesterday I noticed good science lab stories in Science and Headline 16.

The first story is by Palais and I loved the way he drew the physics lab.

3173830339_dbf1ea4261_o.jpg

The second story was about a microbiology lab.

3174666838_06b9ee7428_o.jpg

The last story is about work in a chemistry lab.

3174666428_2191e89627_o.jpg

I think he needs to call OSHA.

bb

WOW, good stuff.

The first two are from Science Comics? Which series and issue?

The third must be [The Coming of Atomic Man] from Headline Comics 16. Presumably long after Flash Comics 1 -- sure looks familiar.

Thanks,

JPS

Jack,

Yesterday I noticed good science lab stories in Science and Headline 16.

The first story is by Palais and I loved the way he drew the physics lab.

3173830339_dbf1ea4261_o.jpg

The second story was about a microbiology lab.

3174666838_06b9ee7428_o.jpg

The last story is about work in a chemistry lab.

3174666428_2191e89627_o.jpg

I think he needs to call OSHA.

bb

Jack,

That first scan was from Science 1 which has the atomic bomb story.

I always thought it was from Nedor but Overstreet says Ace (officially it is Humor).

Things got worse for our chemist (with no eye protection or lab coat) in the Headline story after he drank the Deuterium Oxide laced with U235.

That was a nasty looking unprotected power supply behind him.

3175236482_76895c8ec4_o.jpg

The White Magic story was also from Science 1 and the Atomic Man origin was from Headline 16.

Thanks to GA.uk

Jack,

I always thought it was from Nedor but Overstreet says Ace (officially it is Humor).

I think I have 4 and 5 from that series -- I'll have to go get scans of the rest!

Things got worse for our chemist (with no eye protection or lab coat) in the Headline story after he drank the Deuterium Oxide laced with U235.

The White Magic story was also from Science 1 and the Atomic Man origin was from Headline 16.

Thanks to GA.uk

Great page! Do you know who drew it? (Did you mention Palais in a previous post, or was that for one of the others?) Now I'm curious what kind of powers Atomic Man got from all that abuse.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

I think I have 4 and 5 from that series -- I'll have to go get scans of the rest!

Thanks to GA.uk

Great page! Do you know who drew it? (Did you mention Palais in a previous post, or was that for one of the others?) Now I'm curious what kind of powers Atomic Man got from all that abuse.

Thanks,

Jack

I think the Atomic Man strip is by Charles Voight who did Jeep and Peep and also Boom Boom for Prize.

It isn't listed in the GCD but it is in the Who's Who. The art matches up too.

I think BZ used Jeep for a contest last year and we saw some of his work on this thread.

bb

I remembered Voight's style when I saw the Atomic Man story but I couldn't think of the name. I didn't check his biography but I suspect he stopped drawing comics before the end of the golden age (oops he died in 1947). His early work on Betty is impressive and he dates way back to the platinum age (are there any platinum age books?). Nice find BZ.

bb

PS I was amazed with the origin story and thought it looked pretty whimsical. Jack was right about the similarity with the Flash but there was no super speed associated with this hero. There were three nice covers attributed to Kiefer. There was a character at Quality I think that had a touch that caused havoc. Was that part of the Human Bomb MO or his side-kick?

Edited by BB-Gun

You jogged my memory. I just read about Voigt's Petey and Betty strips in an interesting book Comic Art in America by Becker (1959). Lots of interesting strips I've never seen before that are largely forgotten. I like Voigt's style.

Jack

3175550998_b75a413aea.jpg3174715443_7f8a786b6d.jpg

Voight also drew the Betty comic strip from 1920-1943.

betty190712.jpg

More examples of this and other obscure comic strips at Link

I've liked the cover to Jeep 1 and I'm now sure I'd like the interior as well. Thanks for the scan!

That's a nifty story! Thanks, BZ (thumbs u

I've liked the cover to Jeep 1 and I'm now sure I'd like the interior as well.

Here are a few more pages from the story.

I used panels from it for a Pop Quiz last year.

jeep_1.jpg

jeep_2.jpg

jeep_3.jpg

jeep_4.jpg

that is great! I have wanted to get the Jeep run for some time. I had a Drop dead 9.6 Jeep #2 about 10 yars ago, and let it loose in trade for a spidey #1. I regretted it almost instantly. There was a story in there about midgets that was WAY more fun than ASM #1. Anyway, since then I decided it was just oddball enough a run to tackle.That story from #1 proves my suspicions. :)

Edited by shiverbones