• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's some more great NYWF 39 footage, this time, inside GM's FUTURAMA exhibit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cO9X4NMb4

Anyone who loves "the world of the future" type material will love this. Lots of streamlined farms, highways and cities of the future.

Its got a bizarre organ score, and a strange educational-type tone. I believe it was produced by Jam Handy, who were responsible for many weird commercial cartoons in the 1930's and 40's.

(be sure to check out part two as well).

Thanks for the tip.

It looks like a book I'd like to read. (thumbs u

Do you know of any other modern comics / graphic novels that have a storyline that places them at the 1939 World's Fair?

Did someone already mention that a key scene of Adventures of Kavalier & Clay takes place in the ruins of the 1939 World's Fair?

JPS

I liked the segment with all the 1930's nudie girls... was that supposed to be some sort of outdoor "art study" ? lol Gratuitous nudity even back then! One of the girls looks genuinely embarrassed to be filmed (she covers her face), but yet she's parading around mostly naked on display. (shrug)

This website has a nice overview of the Fair and all its attractions: Link

I don't suppose World's Fairs will ever again have exhibitions like this one.

Congress of Beauty and Sun Worshippers Colony. :whistle:

congressofbeauty1.jpg

sunworshippers1.jpg

sunworshippers2.jpg

sunworshippers3.jpg

There's also a good Doc Savage yarn that takes place at the NYWF -- The World's Fair Goblin.

It just so happens that I posted some photos of that issue earlier this year.

docsavage041939.jpg

Doc Savage (April, 1939)

docsavage3.jpg

Here's some more great NYWF 39 footage, this time, inside GM's FUTURAMA exhibit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cO9X4NMb4

Anyone who loves "the world of the future" type material will love this. Lots of streamlined farms, highways and cities of the future.

Thanks, I enjoyed seeing them. :applause:

Ain't the Internet nifty? :luhv:

nothing like Golden Age T & A!! :applause:

No implants. They didn't catch on until the bronze age.

On a related note (well, sort of...); here's a playlist of Cartoon Modern videos available for viewing on YouTube.

The book that inspired the list is for sale on Amazon.

51X0CA6FN0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Amazon Description

Between the classic films of Walt Disney in the 1940s and the televised cartoon revolution of the 1960s was a critical period in the history of animation. Amid Amidi, of the influential Animation Blast magazine and CartoonBrew blog, charts the evolution of the modern style in animation, which largely discarded the "lifelike" aesthetic for a more graphic and often abstract approach. Abundantly found in commercials, industrial and educational films, fair and expo infotainment, and more, this quickly popular cartoon modernism shared much with the painting and graphic design movements of the era. Showcasing hundreds of rare and forgotten sketches, model boards, cels, and film stills, Cartoon Modern is a thoroughly researched, eye-popping, and delightful account of a vital decade of animation design.

On the subject of early color photographs...check this out, it's awesome !!!!

Charles Cushman Photography collection

It has some great Kodachrome pics of the 1938 San Francisco Exposition...as well as 100's of early color shots of downtown SF in the 30's - 60's.

I wish there were more sites , or another early color photo collection online. Anybody know of any GOOD SITES ??

Edited by ajaxfarrell

There's also a good Doc Savage yarn that takes place at the NYWF -- The World's Fair Goblin.

It just so happens that I posted some photos of that issue earlier this year.

docsavage041939.jpg

Doc Savage (April, 1939)

docsavage3.jpg

"for all the material in the story was gathered by Kenneth Robeson in a personal examination of the grounds early last fall"

lol

That's rich. Must have been quite a crowd

I wish someone would reprint all those Fantom of the Fair stories and put them into one book.

I know they would sell at least two copies (thumbs u