• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The Purple Sedan..........Lois Lane

Bangzoom has posted an example or two of Jerry Siegel letters to the editor for a couple pulps. It's certainly possible he saw the name and later used it.

Siegel was definitely a reader of Weird Tales.

Here is a letter from Jerry that was published in a 1930 Weird Tales.

jerrysiegel.jpg

Thanks for re-posting! I had an inkling it was in a Weird Tales but wasn't certain the timeframe. It seems even more plausible to me that a pulp from the prior year was read by Siegel and that the Lois Lane came from that issue. After all, Clark Kent's name has its origins in the pulps.

Really like the June 1929 - All kind of bizarre going on on that one ...

Talk about bizarre...check out this one.

weirdtales192902.jpg

I always loved the monster on this cover... the original conehead!!

Wonderful WT's BZ!!! :applause:

I love seeing your pulps... they always add a bit of "SPICY"-ness to my day, and "WARD" off the blues... its a "MYSTERY" to me how you accumulated such a great collection. If I were a better "DETECTIVE", I might be able to figure it out.

:baiting:

well as a footnote to my 'Blaine Binge' since BZ followed up with Weird Tales, I can't resist pointing out that this Dumas ran as a serial in WT 1931-1932...

img358.jpg

None of the issues in the Weird Tales run that serialized The Wolf Leader featured the story on the cover, so I'll post this wolf cover instead. (shrug)

weirdtales193012.jpg

I love seeing your pulps... they always add a bit of "SPICY"-ness to my day, and "WARD" off the blues... its a "MYSTERY" to me how you accumulated such a great collection. If I were a better "DETECTIVE", I might be able to figure it out.

Maybe this will help you Ward off those Wintertime blues.

spicyadventure.jpg

Spicy Adventure Stories (November 1934)

Maybe this will help you Ward off those Wintertime blues.

spicyadventure.jpg

Spicy Adventure Stories (November 1934)

Killer Spicy's BZ ... thanks loads for posting! :applause: Great eye candy!

This cover in particular is pretty incredible. Amazing what they used to get away with in the '30's.

Do you have that new H J Ward book yet?

No. :cry:

I ordered it on two occasions from Amazon and both times they arrived in dreadful shape so I returned them for refunds.

amazon.jpg

amazon2.jpg

I'm afraid to try it again.

I'll probably end up purchasing the book locally at Borders or Barnes and Noble, assuming they stock it.

No. :cry:

I ordered it on two occasions from Amazon and both times they arrived in dreadful shape so I returned them for refunds.

amazon.jpg

amazon2.jpg

I'm afraid to try it again.

I'll probably end up purchasing the book locally at Borders or Barnes and Noble, assuming they stock it.

A friend of mine told me the exact same story ... two times, both times damaged.

I think I'll order it from the publisher or a local book seller. No point trying Amazon.

In 1970 when I got back from my Europe-Africa-Asia trip funded by selling my GA collection I started collecting SF paperback anthologies as there was no real economic factor involved and much great reading… I bought this old Pocket PB (image from web) thinking it would be my first venture outside FSF. Wrong. The opener by Theophile Gautier was one of his great succubi stories and in the middle (if I recall) was ‘The Legend of St. Julian’ by Gustave Flaubert. It’s at least one of the half dozen top weird fantasy novelettes, right up with ‘Pigeons From Hell’ and ‘The Sea Witch’. I have reproduced the plate in my 1923 Chatto and Windus ‘Three Tales’ (with the color maybe toned down due to not wanting to bend book) where the great hunter Prince Julian is confronted by the giant stag. Oh Baby! This is the story that led me to the WT index when BZ posted 1928 issues as the April ish runs St. Julian…

So to answer BZ’s question of ‘why I’ve got a lot of Blaineing to do’: I collect weird literature with an emphasis on stories that appeared in WT, Astounding, etc- with illustrated a big plus- though I certainly also enjoy pushing the envelope back to (1786 Vathek) etc.

BB mentioned Aubrey Beardsley- well some of his most famous art was for Oscar Wilde’s Salome. Can’t find my copy so (images from web). Of course I prefer Flaubert’s ‘Herodias’ and have from my ‘Three Tales’ copied the penultimate plate- (a little crooked but full color) art by Robert Diaz De Soria. Everyone thinks Flaubert so stuffy but Three Tales is his major collection of short fiction and 2 of them are weirdies! (‘A Simple Heart’ is also a very beautiful story.)

WT ran a lot of verse. One of the things I love most about comics is the super-speed at which they move, and the only thing faster than a comic is a poem. I’m running one that I wrote back when I was buying and reading Salome and Three Tales. Not perfect but FAST!

famfr.jpg

146.JPG

148.JPG

img362.jpg

img359.jpg

img360.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

[WT ran a lot of verse. One of the things I love most about comics is the super-speed at which they move, and the only thing faster than a comic is a poem. I’m running one that I wrote back when I was buying and reading Salome and Three Tales. Not perfect but FAST!

146.JPG

When I was a student at the University of Toledo, Janis Joplin appeared for a concert which was very good. My former girl friend used that Beardsley image in a silk screen poster to advertise the concert. Ah memories..

In 1970 when I got back from my Europe-Africa-Asia trip funded by selling my GA collection I started collecting SF paperback anthologies as there was no real economic factor involved and much great reading… I bought this old Pocket PB (image from web) thinking it would be my first venture outside FSF. Wrong. The opener by Theophile Gautier was one of his great succubi stories and in the middle (if I recall) was ‘The Legend of St. Julian’ by Gustave Flaubert. It’s at least one of the half dozen top weird fantasy novelettes, right up with ‘Pigeons From Hell’ and ‘The Sea Witch’. I have reproduced the plate in my 1923 Chatto and Windus ‘Three Tales’ (with the color maybe toned down due to not wanting to bend book) where the great hunter Prince Julian is confronted by the giant stag. Oh Baby! This is the story that led me to the WT index when BZ posted 1928 issues as the April ish runs St. Julian…

So to answer BZ’s question of ‘why I’ve got a lot of Blaineing to do’: I collect weird literature with an emphasis on stories that appeared in WT, Astounding, etc- with illustrated a big plus- though I certainly also enjoy pushing the envelope back to (1786 Vathek) etc.

I love the breadth of your collection. You have added a lot of variety to this forum with your literary knowledge and interest in the older illustrators.

Do you also collect specialty press publishers, such as, Arkham House, Gnome Press, etc. or are you more author specific?

146.JPG

When I was a student at the University of Toledo, Janis Joplin appeared for a concert which was very good. My former girl friend used that Beardsley image in a silk screen poster to advertise the concert. Ah memories..

That's very cool.

Did you see Jimi Hendrix when he played at your school?

Thanks, BZ. Plenty Arkham, Gnome, Fantasy, a ton of Avalon (like Buck below) but kind of author-driven too with Andre Norton a fave (the below early '60s 2nd, World Publishing). I think my bro bought a lot of the Avalons new as book says 1962 and JCC dated it August 1, 1962. So that one's been knocking around for a while... Cover artist on both Ed Emshwiller whose work I enjoyed then and still do. Pat

img366.jpg

146.JPG

That's very cool.

Did you see Jimi Hendrix when he played at your school?

No I didn't. Saw people like Tim Buckley and Paul Simon (with Art) and probably a few others that are faded memories.

Edited by BB-Gun

Thanks, BZ. Plenty Arkham, Gnome, Fantasy, a ton of Avalon (like Buck below) but kind of author-driven too with Andre Norton a fave (the below early '60s 2nd, World Publishing). I think my bro bought a lot of the Avalons new as book says 1962 and JCC dated it August 1, 1962. So that one's been knocking around for a while... Cover artist on both Ed Emshwiller whose work I enjoyed then and still do. Pat

img366.jpg

Do you collect the Winston SF series? I really love their dust jackets and end plates.

2334286754_8dae70eaa5.jpg