• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

BIOLOGY "A" by Brad Kent

[1952]. cover by Gordon C. Davies. .

2ncw.JPG

Those are cool covers. I especially like the Gordon Davies cover for Biology "A".

The SF covers he painted later in his career look completely different. Link

I was surprised to learn that he eventually became one of the UK's foremost automobile illustrators. Link

I found a few scans of art by Oksner in my files.

3402695843_546faf029d_o.jpg

2869574133_093f13f952_o.jpg

Thanks for posting those examples of Oksner's work, BB.

I'd never have recognized them as being his artwork if I was just shown random pages from those stories.

Couple more have come in.

One more Dennis Hughes-Curtis Warren: MAID OF THURO by John Lane

[1952]. cover by Ray Theobald. An alien invasion story in which two Earthmen are forced to help the invaders; in doing so they acquire the ability of the aliens to travel in time. "An extraordinary and compelling Hughes time-travel fantasy." Harbottle and Holland.

Saw the Tarzan on ebay and liked the cover. Publisher is Goulden circa 1951. The cover recreates the St John image from the US First. Burroughs did not allow many US paperback versions until Ace in 1960s- might have been good biz since they did the hardbacks, but would’ve been nice to see JC etc on some old US PBs. So- viva la mushroom jungle…

j3.jpg

Saw the Tarzan on ebay and liked the cover. Publisher is Goulden circa 1951. The cover recreates the St John image from the US First. Burroughs did not allow many US paperback versions until Ace in 1960s- might have been good biz since they did the hardbacks, but would’ve been nice to see JC etc on some old US PBs. So- viva la mushroom jungle…

j3.jpg

Incredible looking books, Pat. :applause:

Here is my copy of the March 12, 1932 Argosy which is where "Tarzan and the City of Gold" was initially published.

argosy193203.jpg

Roy Rogers was born on this date 102 years ago. birthday.gif

Let's have a party in his honor. party.gif

royrogers1.jpg

Roy Rogers #1 (January 1948)

From Wikipedia

Biography

Roy Rogers, born Leonard Franklin Slye (November 5, 1911 – July 6, 1998), was an American singer and cowboy actor, one of the most heavily marketed and merchandised stars of his era, as well as being the namesake of the Roy Rogers Restaurants franchised chain. He and his wife Dale Evans, his golden palomino, Trigger, and his German Shepherd dog, Bullet, were featured in more than 100 movies and The Roy Rogers Show. The show ran on radio for nine years before moving to television from 1951 through 1957. His productions usually featured a sidekick, often either Pat Brady (who drove a Jeep called "Nellybelle"), Andy Devine, or the crotchety George "Gabby" Hayes. Rogers's nickname was "King of the Cowboys" and Evans's nickname was "Queen of the West".

Career

Slye moved to California to become a singer. After four years of little success, he formed the Sons of the Pioneers with Bob Nolan and Tim Spencer, a Western cowboy music group, in 1934. The group hit it big with songs like "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweeds". From his first film appearance in 1935, he worked steadily in western films, including a large supporting role as a singing cowboy while still billed as "Leonard Slye" in a Gene Autry movie. In 1938, when Autry temporarily walked out on his movie contract, Slye was immediately rechristened "Roy Rogers". Slye's stage name was suggested by Republic Picture's staff after Will Rogers and the shortening of Leroy. and assigned the lead in Under Western Stars. Rogers became a matinee idol and American legend. A competitor for Gene Autry as the nation's favorite singing cowboy was suddenly born. In addition to his own movies, Rogers played a supporting role in the John Wayne classic Dark Command (1940). Rogers became a major box office attraction.

Roy Rogers in The Carson City KidIn the Motion Picture Herald Top Ten Money-Making Western Stars poll, Rogers was listed for 15 consecutive years from 1939 to 1954, holding first place from 1943 to 1954. He appeared in the similar Box Office poll from 1938 to 1955, holding first place from 1943 to 1952. (In the final three years of that poll he was second only to Randolph Scott.) Although these two polls are really an indication only of the popularity of series stars, Rogers also appeared in the Top Ten Money Makers Poll of all films in 1945 and 1946.

Rogers was an idol for many children through his films and television shows. Most of his postwar films were in Trucolor during an era when almost all other B westerns were black-and-white. Some of his movies would segue into animal adventures, in which Rogers's horse Trigger would go off on his own for a while, with the camera following him.

With money from not only Rogers' films but his own public appearances going to Republic Pictures, Rogers brought a clause into a 1940 contract with the studio where he would have the right to his likeness, voice and name for merchandising. There were Roy Rogers action figures, cowboy adventure novels, and playsets, as well as a comic strip, a long-lived Dell Comics comic book series (Roy Rogers Comics) written by Gaylord Du Bois, and a variety of marketing successes. Roy Rogers was second only to Walt Disney in the amount of items featuring his name. The Sons of the Pioneers continued their popularity, and they have never stopped performing from the time Rogers started the group, replacing members as they retired or passed away (all original members are deceased). Although Rogers was no longer an active member, they often appeared as Rogers' backup group in films, radio, and television, and Rogers would occasionally appear with them in performances up until his death. In August 1950, Evans and Rogers had a daughter, Robin Elizabeth, who had Down Syndrome and died of complications with mumps shortly before her second birthday. Evans wrote about losing their daughter in her book Angel Unaware.

Following up on an old thread...

I found this Frank Tashlin children's book at a flea market last Saturday. :)

franktashlin.jpg

The Bear That Wasn't (1946)

7232845236_f157e4ef48_b.jpg

The director of Artists and Models was an animation director before moving on to feature films. His work is discussed often on the animation forums.

Mike Barrier Interview with Tashlin

Excerpt From Wikipedia:

Tashlin drifted from job to job after dropping out of high school in New Jersey at age 13. In 1930, he started working for Paul Terry as a cartoonist on the Aesop's Film Fables cartoon series, then worked briefly for Amadee J. Van Beuren, but he was just as much a drifter in his animation career as he had been as a teenager. Tashlin joined Leon Schlesinger's cartoon studio at Warner Bros. as an animator in 1932, where he was noted as a fast animator. He used his free time to start his own comic strip in 1934 called Van Boring, inspired by former boss Van Beuren, which ran for three years. He signed his comic strip "Tish Tash," and used the same name for his cartoon credits (at the time it was considered extremely unprofessional to use anything except one's birth name among animators, but Tashlin was able to get away with this due to the anti-Germanic feelings of that era). Tashlin was fired from the studio when he refused to give Schlesinger a cut of his comic strip revenues. He joined the Ub Iwerks studio in 1934. He moved to Hal Roach's studio in 1935 as a writer. He returned to Schlesinger in 1936 as an animation director where his diverse interest and knowledge of the industry brought a new understanding of camerawork to the Warners directors.

In 1938, he worked for Disney in the story department. Afterward, he served as production manager at Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems animation studio in 1941. Tashlin rejoined the Warner directors of "Termite Terrace" in 1943. He stayed with the studio during World War II and worked on numerous wartime shorts, including the Private Snafu educational films.

Following up on an old thread...

I found this Frank Tashlin children's book at a flea market last Saturday. :)

franktashlin.jpg

The Beat that Wasn't (1946)

7232845236_f157e4ef48_b.jpg

The director of Artists and Models was an animation director before moving on to feature films. His work is discussed often on the animation forums.

Mike Barrier Interview with Tashlin

Excerpt From Wikipedia:

Tashlin drifted from job to job after dropping out of high school in New Jersey at age 13. In 1930, he started working for Paul Terry as a cartoonist on the Aesop's Film Fables cartoon series, then worked briefly for Amadee J. Van Beuren, but he was just as much a drifter in his animation career as he had been as a teenager. Tashlin joined Leon Schlesinger's cartoon studio at Warner Bros. as an animator in 1932, where he was noted as a fast animator. He used his free time to start his own comic strip in 1934 called Van Boring, inspired by former boss Van Beuren, which ran for three years. He signed his comic strip "Tish Tash," and used the same name for his cartoon credits (at the time it was considered extremely unprofessional to use anything except one's birth name among animators, but Tashlin was able to get away with this due to the anti-Germanic feelings of that era). Tashlin was fired from the studio when he refused to give Schlesinger a cut of his comic strip revenues. He joined the Ub Iwerks studio in 1934. He moved to Hal Roach's studio in 1935 as a writer. He returned to Schlesinger in 1936 as an animation director where his diverse interest and knowledge of the industry brought a new understanding of camerawork to the Warners directors.

In 1938, he worked for Disney in the story department. Afterward, he served as production manager at Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems animation studio in 1941. Tashlin rejoined the Warner directors of "Termite Terrace" in 1943. He stayed with the studio during World War II and worked on numerous wartime shorts, including the Private Snafu educational films.

I've not seen that book before BZ, but I LOVE that movie. The first time I saw it as a kid I was stunned to see comic books, particularly bat-related characters, portrayed so prominently by A list stars. I still get warm and fuzzy when I see it on cable once in a while

Leonard was always a favorite of mine. Perhaps it was those fancy shirts or maybe I just liked Trigger.

4077410495_f0a6e873c9_b.jpg

Cat Conrad still rocks those shirts, so the legend lives on :)

Leonard was always a favorite of mine. Perhaps it was those fancy shirts or maybe I just liked Trigger.

4077410495_f0a6e873c9_b.jpg

You can have Leonard...I'll take that young adorable Shirley M. :luhv: