• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 scam

28 posts in this topic

so i checked my ebay messages, and this is what he sent me right now. and as stated, the listing is gone. weird.

I do truly thank you for help on this matter. I wish I would have had a better understanding of the comic book before I listed it...I never did see anything inside the book to show it was a reprint...I just thought his Dad had kept it in good condition.

Thanks,

Vernon

so i checked my ebay messages, and this is what he sent me right now. and as stated, the listing is gone. weird.

I do truly thank you for help on this matter. I wish I would have had a better understanding of the comic book before I listed it...I never did see anything inside the book to show it was a reprint...I just thought his Dad had kept it in good condition.

Thanks,

Vernon

Good for Vernon.

Here is the Batman 1 FFE from the eBay auction:

bat1ffe.jpg

Here is my Batman 1 for comparison:

mm0140.jpg

Two more differences:

1) The DC logo is centered under the "B" on the FFE reprint, whereas on the real thing it's closer to the left.

2) The numeral "1" in "No. 1" has a pointy top on the original, not on the FFE reprint.

Well, that seller removed his listing. He also asked me to prove to him it was a repinrt and so I emailed him stating what to look for and what he had on his book that is not present on the original.

I did the same when he contacted me. I suppose having several people telling him the same thing convinced him. He was very polite and apologetic. This kinda renews my faith in humanity *sniff* crazy.gif

2) The numeral "1" in "No. 1" has a pointy top on the original, not on the FFE reprint.

hello all...

yep, that is the other tell tale sign...I knew I was missing one!

good catch

rick

Hmm. They don't match.

Who here thinks that BILL's is the reprint? Those colors are awfully bright for a comic book over 65 years old.

Maybe we should set up a poll.

Jack

I got a poll for ya! poke2.gif

Ten-foot, huh?

Does anyone know why DC made minor changes on the reprint of Batman 1 and the other FFEs? I can't believe that they really cared about sellers trying to pawn them off as originals, since the back-issue market doesn't fill their coffers. Would there be a copyright reason for the reprint to appear different from the original work? Simple carelessness by the person doing the reproduction?

Jack