• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50 year anniversary of collecting comics

32 posts in this topic

I'm not one for tooting his own horn, but while looking throught my comic collection, I was looking at some of the 1st books I ever bought. The actual very first comics I bought as a kid 50 years ago. Hard to believe I've been in this hobby that long. Hard to believe those comics survived all these years. Ya hear those horror stories of moms throwing out kids comics in the garbage. Lucky for me that never happened. Amazing I stayed in the hobby with all thats gone on over the years. I'll be a comic book fan for life. I still buy comic today. I guess I'm hooked. grin.gif

Oh! And never missed an issue of Detective Comics.

893applaud-thumb.gif Congrats. That is quite an achievement. thumbsup2.gif

I hit my 50th next year. 1958.

First books I remember reading: Pre-hero Marvels; Adventures, Actions (all the DC hero books actually) Little Lulus and some Disney Ducks. Forbidden Worlds and all of the ACG horror/monsters...

I'm not one for tooting his own horn, but while looking throught my comic collection, I was looking at some of the 1st books I ever bought. The actual very first comics I bought as a kid 50 years ago. Hard to believe I've been in this hobby that long. Hard to believe those comics survived all these years. Ya hear those horror stories of moms throwing out kids comics in the garbage. Lucky for me that never happened. Amazing I stayed in the hobby with all thats gone on over the years. I'll be a comic book fan for life. I still buy comic today. I guess I'm hooked. grin.gif

And I thought my 25+ years in the hobby was long. Congratulations. thumbsup2.gif

Thank you! All of you comic collectors! For the kind words. I hope all of you get to enjoy this hobby as long as I have. Remember its just a hobby. Something you should enjoy doing. Be involved in it. Go beyond just the buying and reading of comics and you will probably be in this hobby longer than myself. I've always visted different comic shops in my travels. I love seeing how each shop sells itself. Try to discover old comics that are not listed in OS.(You never know were that one-of-a-kind book may turn up.) Go to all kinds of comic cons. Meet the people that made this hobby what it is today. If ya have the time, help out with pricing of comics whenever asked. Every so often I'd get some parent or kid that will ask how much thier comics are worth. I'd give them an honest answer and tell them were to sell the books. Keep up with the latest things going on in the comic world. You never know when the newest fad will hit. Most of all have fun. If your not having fun then its probably not gonna last. There is more to comics then just buying and collecting. Hopefully all of you will find your place in this hobby. Whether its finding that last needed issue or just getting your favorite artist signature or making some great sale. My wish to all of you, have many good years in this great hobby of ours. It will have its ups and downs. Stick with it if you really love comics. Hopefully you will have many years of buying and reading comics. Good luck to all!

But for right now I got to go to the comic shop and pick up my latest books. (If my friend was here right now he'd be saying; "Haven't you got enought comics!")

That's fantastic Mister_Comics!! My Mom first bought me a comic and read it to me in the summer 1966, so it has been nearly 41 years. She bought me one a week from that point on until I could read them myself and she then let me start picking out my own book each week. Still reflect fondly on that time, and how tough the choice was!

Very nice story! I was appraising someone's collection yesterday for his insurance company and he started buying 49 years ago. His mom gives him trouble about keeping/collecting comics sometimes but she never threw them away so I got to see his childhood comics as well as all his sweet recent con pickups. (Mostly Batman and Detective with Joker/Catwoman/Two-Face covers.)

I think I've just hit 30 years myself.

Marc