• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

% Discount from OSPG for S,M,P Restoration

10 posts in this topic

I've been seeing a lot of the scans of early restored keys like Ciorac's TEC 27 and Red Fury's All Star 3 and couldn't help but think:

What is considered a reasonable discount off OSPG for restored GA books?

How do significance, rarity and extent of restoration enter into the equation?

Thanks.

I've been seeing a lot of the scans of early restored keys like Ciorac's TEC 27 and Red Fury's All Star 3 and couldn't help but think:

Thanks.

The way I like to value restored books is to try to assess what the pre-restoration grade of the book was, and determine what the value of the book would have been in that unrestored grade. If the work is professional restoration, I then try to estimate the reasonable value of the restoration services performed and add that to the value of the book in its previously unrestored condition.

This is tough to do accurately unless you have the book in hand, out of the slab.

All that can be thrown out with the Ubber keys like a Tec 27. You'll never get 60% Fine for a Moderate restored. Maybe of guide which is too low, but not FMV on a CGC blue label 6.0.

Regular books it seems like a good enough guide, I'd personally go lower %'s but thats just me.

This is a general guide from Classics Inc:

Restored Book Guide

From that web site:

Currently there are only four categories to judge the extent of restoration: slight, moderate and extensive. A summary of each is below:

Let's see:

1. Slight

2. Moderate

3. Extensive

4. ????

Is this an example of: There's three kinds of people in this world. Those that can count and those that can't?

4. Blue with Notes.

There are researchers and then there are journalists.

There is also another kind: a book that is trimmed only, with no other restoration on it, will get an "Apparent" designation, but not a "slight/moderate/extensive" designation, nor will it get an "amateur/professional" designation.

4. Blue with Notes.

There are researchers and then there are journalists.

5. Blue with undisclosed restoration. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I am not sure I understand this.

Are you saying that even if the notes describe the restoration, it is "undisclosed" if the label is blue?

That is not undisclosed restoration. I suppose you could call it un-PLOD'd restoration. But disclosure of facts is achieved by words. And lack of a colored label can not undo the words. .

Thanks.

The way I like to value restored books is to try to assess what the pre-restoration grade of the book was, and determine what the value of the book would have been in that unrestored grade. If the work is professional restoration, I then try to estimate the reasonable value of the restoration services performed and add that to the value of the book in its previously unrestored condition.

This is tough to do accurately unless you have the book in hand, out of the slab.

That's a reaonable enough approach. And it falls in line with the notion that books requiring less work would have been more desirable in the first place. Of course the best way to know what state it was in before is to have real solid info. Matt Nelson's before and after pics on the back of the "work done" sheet is a model that should have been the standard from the beginning.