• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the first comic you bought that you still have today?

56 posts in this topic

Finally, another purchase from 1968. Wasn't crazy about the movie......the comic was okay.

And yes, the poster inside is looooong gone. Can't remember if I hung it up or not. I probably did if I removed it.

yellowsubbig.jpg

I sold most of original collection decades ago. The oldest comic I still have that I bought off the stands would be Swamp Thing #1 - I haven't looked at it for a while, but I'm guessing it's no better than VF.

And one more time.....that's why Harry's (Burntboy) collection is so remarkable. I thought I was taking completely super excellent care of my books....and they still ended up pretty worn.

And one more time.....that's why Harry's (Burntboy) collection is so remarkable. I thought I was taking completely super excellent care of my books....and they still ended up pretty worn.

Thanks Brad, but as i've frequently stated on these boards, the older my Original purchases are, the more banged up they are.

i still believe that the reason books from 62 - 65 stayed in such great shape is because i wasn't readng them as much and probably didn't carry them around in my pocket 893whatthe.gif

but, this thread intrigued me so i went back to my DC's and pulled out the first copy i can distinctly remember having purchased off the rack (as opposed to the used book stores in Newark and trades) for 8 different titles. (Supes, Bats, WW, B&B, Showcase, Mys in space, Challengers, and Flash).

as expected, the Supes, Bats and WW were, in fact, the oldest with this book seemingly my oldest original purchase still in my possession;

BATMAN # 108 from June of 1957: interestingly, with the june issues about to hit the stands/LCS', this baby is officially 50 YEARS OLD. grin.gif

and please notice the robin corner shock pose........while Batman dutfully keeps his eyes on the road ahead.......

batman_annuals_017.jpg

Of the half dozen or so books I still have that I purchased directly from the newstands...this one appears to be the oldest, with a cover date of December 1967. Almost 40 years old.

It's suffered a tape pull along the way, obviously. But otherwise....considering I was 13 when I purchased it, it could be worse. I remember not being particularly fond of this character, or the Golden Age reprints inside. Booooring ! wink.gif

Funny -- I still have my newsstand copies of Marvel Super-Heroes 12 and Showcase 73 as well. Similar condition.

I liked Captain Marvel more than you did, even though I now know that he was created as a trademark ploy and designed for a line of dollies -- er, action figures -- that never got off the ground. I continued buying his own title (until about 1970 when I dropped out of comics completely).

Also like you, I had mostly given up on DC except for the JLA-JSA crossovers, Showcase and an occasional other book that caught my eye. I definitely went for the Ditko books.

Jack

While not purchased by me from the store. It's among my first I think. Traded for it with my neighbor for some football cards around 1971

You can see how a 7 year old child thinks.

"Hey, this cover fell off. I will tape it. There, all better."

foreheadslap.gif

wfcover.jpgwfbc.jpg

And a Mets add from the back interior for all you fans out there. $9.95 was kinda expensive for an item in a comic book. Nice watch.

mets.jpg

Of the half dozen or so books I still have that I purchased directly from the newstands...this one appears to be the oldest, with a cover date of December 1967. Almost 40 years old.

It's suffered a tape pull along the way, obviously. But otherwise....considering I was 13 when I purchased it, it could be worse. I remember not being particularly fond of this character, or the Golden Age reprints inside. Booooring ! wink.gif

Funny -- I still have my newsstand copies of Marvel Super-Heroes 12 and Showcase 73 as well. Similar condition.

I liked Captain Marvel more than you did, even though I now know that he was created as a trademark ploy and designed for a line of dollies -- er, action figures -- that never got off the ground. I continued buying his own title (until about 1970 when I dropped out of comics completely).

Also like you, I had mostly given up on DC except for the JLA-JSA crossovers, Showcase and an occasional other book that caught my eye. I definitely went for the Ditko books.

Jack

thumbsup2.gif

About 1971 I sold all the comics I had that were worth something but kept all the interesting comics which were of little collectable value. One of them was Silver Surfer #1 which probably had a value of about $.10 back then. For a long time I thought that was the comic that I had owned for the longest time.

Then about ten years ago I found Tales of Suspense #68, in a box in my mother's basement. Sadly, it was the only one there.